The Student Room Group

Funding for a MSc with a 2.2 ?

Is it even possible to secure funding with studentships and scholarships with a 2.2 UG degree ? Or is that out of the question ?
Depends on what it's in and what you want to study at postgrad.
I'm not sure about in the sciences but in the arts and humanities, it's pretty much impossible. Easier to just try and self-fund after a few years of having earned some money, imho :sadnod:
For a Masters in a subject that is either popular or where there is limited funding like Arts/Soc Sci, its practically impossible. However, once you have a Masters then getting PhD funding becomes easier - the Masters doesnt 'wipe out' the low undergrad result but it does tell a University you've got more potential than your undergrad grade might suggest.
Reply 4
The Masters is in a science/medical subject. Immunology/Infection & Immunity related, just looking at studentships at various universities, they all have eligibility criteria of 2.1 minimum. Even though the acceptance requirement says a second class bachelors is accepted.
Then you are still in contention for a place - but wont be considered for any funding.
It might be possible to get funding if it is part of a 1+3 phd programme which is in high demand (i.e., not popular) but I think it will be a bit of a struggle given the competition you will face from 2.i and 1st class applicants.

It might be worth contacting your alma mater as they might be more lenient and give you a discount (probably won't fund the entire programme though). From there, if you do well, then you might find a funded studentship phd.
Reply 7
Original post by uer23
The Masters is in a science/medical subject. Immunology/Infection & Immunity related, just looking at studentships at various universities, they all have eligibility criteria of 2.1 minimum. Even though the acceptance requirement says a second class bachelors is accepted.

There is a massive difference between them letting you study there and them paying for you to study there. As someone who works in a Medical Sciences Faculty, I would be surprised if anyone gave you masters funding with a 2.2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending