The Student Room Group

Do you thank the bus driver?

This poll is closed

Do you say thank you?

Yes 75%
No 6%
Sometimes / If I feel like it19%
Total votes: 291
I am just wondering if the people of TSR say thank you to the bus driver when they exit. If so, why? You have paid a company for the bus ticket and the driver is not taking you from place to place from the kindness of his/her own heart, so why do you thank them for doing something they are supposed to do? Should you also thank street cleaners as you walk past them? Thoughts? (I would like to add that I am not necessarily saying if I do or do not say thank you my self, I am just wondering about other peoples opinions). Edit: I am not quite sure why I have been negged, I have simply asked a question.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I usually tend to thank every bus driver, although I hate being on buses as it is. :s-smilie:
In the past, I have known to be stubborn and not thank them, depending on how chatty or nice they were to me when I first go on.
Yes, we're paying ourselves, it's not like we force them to take us from A to B, but they're still doing it at the end of the day which is a good deed in a way:smile:
Reply 2
I would personally say thankyou to the bus driver, it's so easy and polite and I'm sure it'd improve their day even just a little bit - must get very dull and repetitive. I'm at uni next year so will probably use buses more haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
i'll do it if the bus is a bit empty / or if its the last stop (i always did it for this one bus driver whose last stop was outside my house :smile: ) otherwise not really.
I've more than once caught myself thanking the ATM.

Yes, then.
Yeah, I always do. It's hardly the greatest of jobs; I just feel like a little bit of gratitude might be appreciated. I have no idea if people saying thank you really makes a difference to them, but it takes less than two seconds of my day to possibly make someone feel slightly better about theirs.

Also, when I used to go to school in the morning, if the bin men were picking up the rubbish as I walked down the driveway I'd say thanks to them as well. I just think there is really nothing wrong with being grateful, even though they are only doing their jobs!!
Reply 6
I'm more likely to thank them as I get on, actually, usually because they've waited for a second longer than they needed to so I could get on or if I'm simply really exhausted/it's raining/etc and I'm thanking the bus driver as a subsitute to saying thank you to my chosen deity for letting me get home. :tongue:

I'd be curious how it changes for single and double door buses, I use double door buses but when I've got single door buses on occasion I have thanked the driver more because I don't have to yell.
Reply 7
Original post by knope
I'm more likely to thank them as I get on, actually, usually because they've waited for a second longer than they needed to so I could get on or if I'm simply really exhausted/it's raining/etc and I'm thanking the bus driver as a subsitute to saying thank you to my chosen deity for letting me get home. :tongue:

I'd be curious how it changes for single and double door buses, I use double door buses but when I've got single door buses on occasion I have thanked the driver more because I don't have to yell.

come to think of it so do i.. single doors means you are right next to the driver.. and when i dont thank him/her , i feel a bit rude since ive just walked past him/her twice :s
Reply 8
I thank the bus drivers that, for example, turn a certain radio station on by request or maybe turn back to the college so I can get my guitar :colondollar:
In the same way, I don't tip waiters unless they are particularly helpful ... or pretty :ninja:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
bus drivers turn on radio stations? NEVER seen someone do that before..
In London? No. Everywhere else? Yes.

It's just not the done thing in London.
Reply 11
Mostly do unless it's a rude bus-driver, good point what you made, but it's still rude not too.
Always. I did encounter one very shirty bus driver last week, but they got off halfway along the route so I never had to thank him :giggle:
(edited 10 years ago)
Just a quick "cheers" when getting off
Noticed recently it sometimes sounds like "Jizz" when I mumble...
I usually just smile I am too awkward to actually say thank you most of the time, I can barley look at them
I do thank the bus driver because you never know the situation of the bus driver, for example they could be struggling to support their family and can't find work anywhere else. Those two little words can really brighten up someone's day and keep them going that little bit longer. It's like how in a small village, such as where I live, you say hello to people you walk past. I find it really rude in comparison when I go to a city and nobody says hi to me on the street, but it's just becasue I'm used to being polite like that, even to people I don't know. It's so odd on the tube when people are sat there in complete silence and everyone's awkwardly sat there interpreting someone talking to them as someone to avoid.
Yes, if only because its common basic manners.
I always say thank you, they are offering a service, whether you're paying for it or not, it's polite to thank them.

As I would a waitress/waiter in a restaurant, a taxi driver, someone on the check out at a super market, any sort of customer service...
I do, they have helped get me from place to place safely, even if it is their job to do so. In my area they usually swear back at me though, so I don't always on one of the routes now...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19

Quick Reply

Latest