The Student Room Group

Is getting into a relationship at uni a good idea?

I'm by no means saying that I expect it, but is it do-able or would it seriously effect your studies? Obviously you get to know a lot of people well so I'm just curious, cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. Regardless of whether you're at uni or not, consider whether it's what you really want (nothing wrong with being single) and you're willing to put in the time necessary :cool:
Reply 2
No, students, unlike those who are loved up working in the real world on 40 odd hours a week, famously have a huge number of demands on their time (sleeping, masturbating, watching daytime tele, mucking around with your housemates etc.) and barely a moment in the day to just sit and relax, it's not worth the sacrific you'd have to make.
Reply 3
Original post by Le Nombre
No, students, unlike those who are loved up working in the real world on 40 odd hours a week, famously have a huge number of demands on their time (sleeping, masturbating, watching daytime tele, mucking around with your housemates etc.) and barely a moment in the day to just sit and relax, it's not worth the sacrific you'd have to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dBousfield
Well this is a bit immature, I'm doing a degree to go into speech therapy as a career, I'm by no means "mucking about". If you're really going to generalise students as a collective then to be fair you're an idiot. Yes many do as what you've just said, but also many actually want the best for their education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was sarcastic. I know what being a student is like, I've been one for 4 and a bit years. I also know what doing a professional course is like, it's still not the same as a normal job. I did the best for my education, I have the grades and shiny certificate to prove it and everything, there's also still quite a lot of time for those things I described.

You will nearly always have time for relationships in your life unless you're working in the City being absolutely beasted for 110 hours a week or similar, and you definitely will as a student. As an added bonus you'll likely live just round the corner from any Mrs dBousfield and can largely structure your work to be done when you want to (at night, weekends, 9-5 etc.).
Reply 5
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I imagine that probably most university students are in relationships at some point during their degree. Theres people on my degree who have spouses/live in partners as well as children and/or other commitments and do well on their assignments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by dBousfield
I'm terribly sorry haha, I thought you were yet another person attacking students and pigeon holing into a stereotype, sarcasm can go undetected on the Internet. Thanks for the comments though, yeah I suppose you're right - obviously I haven't actually experienced life as a student yet so I was just curious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, though to be fair like most stereotypes it has a fair amount of basis in fact, being a student is not too stressful most of the time!

As an added bonus someone helpfully applies an A Level filter to club entry, so you can guarantee no matter how much someone is chatting crap about what a great night they're having whilst dressed as a Lisa Simspon that if you get their number they'll actually be capable of pretty stimulating conversation normally!
Reply 8
If you're an art student yes.

Anything else, no.

I'm in third year and from what I've seen, experienced and gathered.

1st year = ****fest.
2nd year = **** buddy/mental girls.
3rd year = WAY TOO MUCH WORK FOR DRAMA/GIRLS. HOLY **** I AM ****ING OVERWORKED LIKE ****!
End of Uni/Start of real life = relationship.

Both males and females growing up need to have experiences working in their field to be able to develop a healthy relationship as well. Otherwise your future life will get ****ed by either drama or kids. If you have kids too early then you won't be able to provide for them as well as you could later in life financial wise...just look at Walter White :wink:

It says a lot about how extreme some comments are that some very nicely crafted satire gets mistaken for insanity.
Reply 10
Original post by gemmam
I imagine that probably most university students are in relationships at some point during their degree. Theres people on my degree who have spouses/live in partners as well as children and/or other commitments and do well on their assignments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Then there's those of us who have never been in a relationship and never had sex :cry2:

Dunno why you got so many negs lol, I thought that was quite funny. :biggrin:
Some people need to learn how to laugh at themselves.
Original post by Lotus_Eater
It says a lot about how extreme some comments are that some very nicely crafted satire gets mistaken for insanity.

It's not even an Islam thread (itself statistically difficult on TSR these days it seems).... To be fair the OP just didn't notice the sarcasm.
Reply 13
I'd date someone who does the same course as me (well, one particular one, crush:wink:) because the course is demanding, and chances are we'd be stressed at the same time, and could be sexual shoulders to lean on for each other :tongue: and could split workload with research stuff etc.
If it feels right, and the other person is fine with you spending a fair bit of time studying as well as being stressed a lot (and vice versa if they are at uni too). Bare in mind a lot of people end up spending the rest of there life with a partner they met at uni :smile:
Just gone into second year, and me and my housemate were discussing this. My words went something along the line of "Tom Hiddleston could appear at my door right now wanting to sleep with me, but I have work, so he'd have to wait until I finished it." God knows how much of a hermit I'll be come fourth year. But at the end of the day, I wanted to do my degree before I fancied whoever I meet at uni. Can't cheat on it now. :lol: But heaps of people are in relationships at uni so it must be totally do-able.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Bassetts
Then there's those of us who have never been in a relationship and never had sex :cry2:

Diddums
Here, let me get you some tissues.
Reply 17
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Diddums
Here, let me get you some tissues.
How old are you? If you were 23 and in my position, you would not be saying that. There is so much ignorance in life from everyone. No one can put themselves in someone else's shoes for a second and appreciate another person's situation. They're too busy living in their own little bubble to care for anyone.
Reply 18
I was in a relationship before I started Uni and now I'm engaged to her. Yes it can work out
Original post by Bassetts
How old are you? If you were 23 and in my position, you would not be saying that. There is so much ignorance in life from everyone. No one can put themselves in someone else's shoes for a second and appreciate another person's situation. They're too busy living in their own little bubble to care for anyone.

Lol I'm going to be 23 soon and though I think it's unusual (hence, 'crazy') sometimes, I don't let my virginity 'bother' me too much. There's a time and place and for me, a person I'd love enough for that to happen, so I'm probably not in your position but I'd still say, hang on you'll be fine. :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending