The Student Room Group

Do you thank the bus driver?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I used to live in London, and the buses there have to doors (entry, exit) - So if you wanna thank the bus driver you have to actually shout it down the bus which can be quite embarrassing. If I've had a particularly smooth ride though I will say thanks.

Now that I live in Manchester, and the bus here only has one door it seems really rude to just get off the bus because you have to walk directly past the driver. Also you can just say a quiet thanks which is more comfortable for me.
Reply 41
Yes, it's common courtesy.
Reply 42
Original post by bethht
Yes, it's common courtesy.

londoners would beg to differ
Reply 43
Nah I listen to my iPod on the bus, so I figure when I speak I'm halfway shouting
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
I am just wondering if the people of TSR say thank you to the bus driver when they exit. If so, why? You have paid a company for the bus ticket and the driver is not taking you from place to place from the kindness of his/her own heart, so why do you thank them for doing something they are supposed to do? Should you also thank street cleaners as you walk past them? Thoughts? (I would like to add that I am not necessarily saying if I do or do not say thank you my self, I am just wondering about other peoples opinions). Edit: I am not quite sure why I have been negged, I have simply asked a question.

If you give the cleaner rubbish personally, say thanks.

Just because you pay doesn't mean that you don't say thanks. Nothing wrong with showing appreciation.

Majority of TSR will have free travel for buses in London anyway...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Only if I go out from the front door :smile: It would feel rather rude to just walk past him lol
Reply 46
I was thinking about this earlier actually when I got off the bus. I do it most of the time, but I've never really understood why.
I thank them. It's just a social convention that I've always been taught to do. :dontknow:
Reply 48
Yes I usually say thanks to them but if they are absurdly late to the bus stop like 8+ minutes late then I would think otherwise.
Reply 49
Just a quick 'cheers' from me. It satisfies me and I hope they appreciate it back. :smile:
Yeah i do. Since working in MacDonalds i realize that people not saying thank you, seem rude and ungrateful.
Yes, it's just polite. Not thanking someone is like not going to the back of a queue (unless you didn't realise there was a queue)
I always say thank you.
I feels pretty ****ty working a crappy job for crappy money and no-one being friendly to you, I know.
Reply 53
I always say thank you to the bus drivers
Reply 54
Every time where I live now but not when I used to live in London.
Everytime I go visit there it is very awkward on the Underground without headphones.
In and around Glasgow, buses only have single doors.

Almost everyone thanks the driver when getting out, even teenagers.

We pay for ALL services and still thank the people who carried them out, so why not bus drivers?

If there is anyone who shouldn't be thanked, it is bankers. I hate it when after waiting ages when my turn comes the banker thanks me for waiting. I never reply.
Say thank you when getting on and getting off. Sometimes a wave. Why not?
Reply 57
Sometimes,
If it's a Muslim driver I say Assalamoalaikum
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
I do this absolutely every day and always have, manners cost nothing :biggrin:
I always always say thank you to them because I just feel really rude if I don't. Sure it can be the case that they may not want to be driving a bus around everyday and might want a better job but in the end they're doing it for a living and to support themselves and/or their family. I think even the most boring jobs needs to be done by someone and saying thank you to them can cheer someone up even though it's little words :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest