The Student Room Group

The A2 OCR Chemistry Thread

Hey guys,
Talk about what you've done so far for OCR chemistry.
Done any evals/quan/qualitative practicals?
How u all finding it?

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
I have 2 teachers, so in unit 4 I've done benzene and its reactions and phenols. Unit 5 we've covered all of rates of reactions and equilibrium constant and started on acids.
I have done the quantitative practical.

So far its going okay I guess :s-smilie:. What about you ??
Reply 3
We haven't started any of unit 4 yet. But we've done transition metals (colour changes etc) and are now covering rates. I find rates VERY confusing because I'm terrible at maths.

Have to get an A this year as well so I need to come to terms with it all.
We've done 3 assessments so far and I achieved below what I want on every one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I do OCR B (Salters) Chemistry, but we've covered three out of the eight units and are now doing coursework :smile:
Original post by kahinalouise
I have 2 teachers, so in unit 4 I've done benzene and its reactions and phenols. Unit 5 we've covered all of rates of reactions and equilibrium constant and started on acids.
I have done the quantitative practical.

So far its going okay I guess :s-smilie:. What about you ??

Wow, we haven't one the benzene stuff yet. We've just done the transition elements, redox, electrode potentials, fuel cells nd we just got onto the rates topic. What did u find the hardest topic so far???
Original post by ImAz
We haven't started any of unit 4 yet. But we've done transition metals (colour changes etc) and are now covering rates. I find rates VERY confusing because I'm terrible at maths.

We've done 3 assessments so far and I achieved below what I want on every one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omd, we did the same stuff as u! Done transition, we're in the middle of doing rates. I know, it takes practice to get used to rates.
We only did one eval.
I hope u do well, its just a matter of practice
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
Wow, we haven't one the benzene stuff yet. We've just done the transition elements, redox, electrode potentials, fuel cells nd we just got onto the rates topic. What did u find the hardest topic so far???

Benzene is quite straight forward, equilibrium constant calculations at first are quite tricky as there very wordy, you have to understand the question then apply a fair bit of maths :rolleyes:
So you have nearly covered all of unit 5 :eek: , was there any difficult topics??
Original post by ImAz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you have to be great at maths to get rates, I'm certainly not. Is there any particular bit you're finding difficult ??
Benzene is quite straight forward, equilibrium constant calculations at first are quite tricky as there very wordy, you have to understand the question then apply a fair bit of maths :rolleyes:
So you have nearly covered all of unit 5 :eek: , was there any difficult topics??

That's good to hear that. I thought it's getting harder and harder. Yeah, but we havent touched any of the other rings, polymers stuff, so...
It's just rates, rates r actually ok. Wait, u've already done rates. You've done the stuff that I've done, wow AND all the benzene stuff. U r really ahead of the game!!
That's good to hear that. I thought it's getting harder and harder. Yeah, but we havent touched any of the other rings, polymers stuff, so...
It's just rates, rates r actually ok. Wait, u've already done rates. You've done the stuff that I've done, wow AND all the benzene stuff. U r really ahead of the game!!

Its like you said, its just practice, I'm doing loads of extra rate questions, there is nowhere near enough in the book. I think we have covered nearly the same amount; I've only done the first modules in unit 4 and 5 . Whereas you have done 2 modules from unit 5. So about the same I guess :redface:.
I don't think there are enough questions for rate and equilibrium in unit 5; so I use :
chem factsheets - http://www.scribd.com/collections/2300998/A-Level-Chemistry-Factsheet
and this website as loads of questions that are good practice
http://alevelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%205/Unit%205%20resources.html

Hope this is helpful :smile:
I don't think there are enough questions for rate and equilibrium in unit 5; so I use :
chem factsheets - http://www.scribd.com/collections/2300998/A-Level-Chemistry-Factsheet
and this website as loads of questions that are good practice
http://alevelchemistry.co.uk/OCR%20Chemistry%20A/Unit%205/Unit%205%20resources.html

Hope this is helpful :smile:

Oh, thank you so mch! I'll use them.
How good r ur teachers??
Oh, thank you so mch! I'll use them.
How good r ur teachers??

Hope they help; the one for unit 5 is really good an the other for unit 4 is completely awful, so I guess I will have to teach myself more of unit 4 but thats okay considering its the smaller unit. How about you ?
Hope they help; the one for unit 5 is really good an the other for unit 4 is completely awful, so I guess I will have to teach myself more of unit 4 but thats okay considering its the smaller unit. How about you ?

Oh ok, one rely good and one awful, I guess that balances out :smile: I have the same teacher, so... She's quite rely good
Hello, I'm OCR A.
Got a B at AS.
Original post by keromedic
Hello, I'm OCR A.
Got a B at AS.

Hi , well done; I did awful (I got a c :frown: and I want to study it at uni :rolleyes:)
How are you finding it so far ? What topics have you covered ?
Hi , well done; I did awful (I got a c :frown: and I want to study it at uni :rolleyes:)
How are you finding it so far ? What topics have you covered ?

We're doing it in a wierd order, F326 before F325.
We're on the Kinetics section still.
We've done rate of reaction, equilibrium, Acid dissociation and now we're doing ph stuff but we're finishing that up.
We're doing it in a wierd order, F326 before F325.
We're on the Kinetics section still.
We've done rate of reaction, equilibrium, Acid dissociation and now we're doing ph stuff but we're finishing that up.

I think alot of schools do that, not sure why though. So you've nearly finished the first module of F325, how did you find it ? :smile:

I've only done the rates and equilibrium stuff and starting acids and ph. I posted some links to extra questions and stuff above if you want to practice some more questions.
Reply 19
Hello, I'm OCR A.
Got a B at AS.

Hey, Same! My coursework messed me up :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest