The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hello there,

This is my first post on student room after browsing the student room for years. Thought it was time to get an account!

I am applying for Economics at Bristol Cambridge LSE UCL and Warwick.

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A level and have got my grades.

As you can see I DONT have an economics A level. I notice it isn't required at any universities. Will this be a big disadvantage to me in terms of receiving an offer?

Hope someone could shed some light on this. They are never very specific about this matter on the websites
Reply 1381
Original post by Simos
Hello there,

This is my first post on student room after browsing the student room for years. Thought it was time to get an account!

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A level and have got my grades.

As you can see I DONT have an economics A level. I notice it isn't required at any universities. Will this be a big disadvantage to me in terms of receiving an offer?

Hope someone could shed some light on this. They are never very specific about this matter on the websites

Welcome! And congrats on your first post (if that is something to be congratulated for :tongue: )

As long as you've mentioned some sort of economics on your PS and shown a wider interest (via reading books etc.) it's fine. Economics A Level is not a requirement for an Economics degree at all. Maths and Further Maths are more useful, and you have those.

I would still read an economics textbook to get an idea of the ideas involved though
Reply 1382
Original post by Giant
Welcome! And congrats on your first post (if that is something to be congratulated for :tongue: )

As long as you've mentioned some sort of economics on your PS and shown a wider interest (via reading books etc.) it's fine. Economics A Level is not a requirement for an Economics degree at all. Maths and Further Maths are more useful, and you have those.

I would still read an economics textbook to get an idea of the ideas involved though

Thanks, I have mentioned a reasonable amount of economics. Do you think they will expect me to have similar knowledge to those people who have studied economics. PS how do you tell is someone has replied to your post? do you just have to keep checking the thread?
Reply 1383
Original post by Simos
Thanks, I have mentioned a reasonable amount of economics. Do you think they will expect me to have similar knowledge to those people who have studied economics. PS how do you tell is someone has replied to your post? do you just have to keep checking the thread?

don't worry I've just worked out how to do it now!
Original post by Giant
We should definitely organise a meet of some sort if possible if we have the same dates for interview!

By the way the provisional dates for interview for King's are the 9th-13th of December

Source: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/undergraduate/provisional-interview-dates-for-candidates.pdf

Sounds like a plan! I'll look forward to it, provided I get an interview of course.

How is everyone's target 2.0 team coming along? We found out our group at regionals today and it looks pretty tough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1385
Original post by Simos

Not necessarily a similar knowledge, but you need to be aware of key economic ideas and definitely be apace of current major events in the British and international economy (e.g. the current energy price issue, funding for lending, the US shutdown etc.) Watching Sky/BBC news everyday and reading something like the Times or The Economist is the kind of preparation that would be ideal.

Original post by Epic Flawless
Sounds like a plan! I'll look forward to it, provided I get an interview of course.

How is everyone's target 2.0 team coming along? We found out our group at regionals today and it looks pretty tough.

If you don't get an interview with a 98% UMS average and 12A*s at GCSEs I will actually go to Cambridge and punch the admissions tutor

Our school hasn't really started doing much for Target 2.0
Original post by Epic Flawless

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignore the competition, just focus on your presentation. We were up against 6 private schools out of 8, so there we go.
when we do our personal statements, can you attah other files or write more anywhere else because 4000 chracters doesnt seem much???
Original post by Giant

If you don't get an interview with a 98% UMS average and 12A*s at GCSEs I will actually go to Cambridge and punch the admissions tutor

Corpus admissions tutor said anyone above 97% is very very likely to get an offer, provided they don't have the worst interview of their life.

So might has well go on a rampage if Epic Flawless isn't given even an interview.
Reply 1389
Original post by Millerman
when we do our personal statements, can you attah other files or write more anywhere else because 4000 chracters doesnt seem much???

No. Find a way to condense the what you say and leave out things that aren't absolutely necessary or things that don't add value to your statement. It needs to be concise.

Original post by NedStark
Corpus admissions tutor said anyone above 97% is very very likely to get an offer, provided they don't have the worst interview of their life.

So might has well go on a rampage if Epic Flawless isn't given even an interview.

Agreed
Original post by Simos
Hello there,

May i ask what A level results you achieved? :biggrin:
Reply 1391
Original post by Hazard17
May i ask what A level results you achieved? :biggrin:

I achieved 4 A*s. However looking at some of the UCAS tariffs it seems to be under average?!
whats this target 2.0 thing?
Original post by Simos
I achieved 4 A*s. However looking at some of the UCAS tariffs it seems to be under average?!

are you saying 4A* is under average!!??
Reply 1394
are you saying 4A* is under average!!??

It is worth 560 Ucas points. (A*=140 points)

Cambridge average- 638
Oxford average - 608
LSE average- 587
Warwick average- 574

These are the unis which average over that. I'm not sure if it is because of A levels like critical thinking but I don't know many people who do a 5th AS let alone 4 A levels!

I cant work out the tariffs tbh
Do unis even look at UCAS points anymore? it hought they just looked at grades and personal statement etc instead of points.
Original post by Simos

Cambridge average- 638
Oxford average - 608
LSE average- 587
Warwick average- 574

These are the unis which average over that. I'm not sure if it is because of A levels like critical thinking but I don't know many people who do a 5th AS let alone 4 A levels!

i cant see that being true because surely the average person getting into those uni isnt getting 4A* when the requirments are usually AAA or A*AA
Original post by Simos

Cambridge average- 638
Oxford average - 608
LSE average- 587
Warwick average- 574

i cant see that being true because surely the average person getting into those uni isnt getting 4A* when the requirments are usually AAA or A*AA

The thing is UCAS points doesn't paint the full picture, qualifications like General Studies, Critical Thinking, EPQ, FSMQ, additional AS levels, music grades etc... all inflate the UCAS point score, the average person certainly doesn't get 4A*s
Guys, I got AAA at a level and im in my Gap year self teaching further maths and retaking C4, (94 achieved in C3 and 84 in C4). Do you guys think i have a shot at Economics at UCL if im predicted two A*s with AAA achieved?

(Sorry, i know so many people come with those "do i have a chance?" posts :colondollar:)
Reply 1399
I'm having difficulties with deciding on my 5th choice. Which is better to study economics at: St Andrews or Edinburgh?
I realise the locations are very different, but I would be just as happy studying in a small village as in a city.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending