The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Scoopy
Hi, I am an int. applicant. Need help in calculating UCAS tariff for IB - achieved 36 (all 6s) and predicted 42 (all 7s). UKCAT 715

Worth applying to Barts?

Please help.
Original post by Scoopy
Please help.

Take a look at this:
http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

Scroll down to find IB.

If you achieved 36 points, you'll have to calculate your UCAS tariff based on that as it supersedes your predicted grade.
From the table, 36 corresponds to a tariff of 523.
Original post by yoyox120
GCSE 7A*'s, 2A's, 2B's.
AS:4A's and a B. Sciences and arabic, B in maths.
UKCAT:647.5/648.
Predictions:5*A's.
EPQ predicted at an A*, almost done with it.

So I guess my tariff is 760? as (140 * 5) + 70 for the EPQ = 770?

Is that "competitive" as to say? I know I posted here before but I just wanna get a few words on it. I feel a bit let down with the B in maths at AS and my UKCAT score though.

EDIT: I really don't get why people are negging this. It's just a question. Sheesh..

You're getting negged because you're absolutely miles over the tariff threshold and still asking if that's ok. There are loads of people who have scores where it's really uncertain as to whether or not they'll make the cut this year; you don't need to worry about it but you're still posting about it.
Reply 383
Hi everyone...I ve got a UKCAT score of 648 and I am really unsure whether that's an average or a good score. I am a graduate with a masters degree (clinical neuroscience) and a BSc (neuroscience, 2:1) from Kings and work as a medical summariser at a GP surgery. I really want to apply to Kings, barts and southhampton but iam unsure if my ukcat score is too low for these unis or whether my degrees and work experience will make a difference. has anyone got some advise?
Reply 384
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
What was ur question for epq??

Well I did my extended project on Psychiatry. It was based on a manual called DSM. :smile:
Original post by shapal210
Well I did my extended project on Psychiatry. It was based on a manual called DSM. :smile:

Oh thats cool. Was it rely hard getting that B?? I bet it ate up ur time!!
Can u suggest any medical-related epq topics that I could do some research on? PLEASE. Thank you
Reply 386
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You're getting negged because you're absolutely miles over the tariff threshold and still asking if that's ok. There are loads of people who have scores where it's really uncertain as to whether or not they'll make the cut this year; you don't need to worry about it but you're still posting about it.

Exceeding the tariff threshold doesn't guarantee anything what so ever. I was asking if the score was competitive, not if it will cut the limit as we all know cutting the limit in medicine is simply not good enough.
Original post by maurice21
Hi everyone...I ve got a UKCAT score of 648 and I am really unsure whether that's an average or a good score. I am a graduate with a masters degree (clinical neuroscience) and a BSc (neuroscience, 2:1) from Kings and work as a medical summariser at a GP surgery. I really want to apply to Kings, barts and southhampton but iam unsure if my ukcat score is too low for these unis or whether my degrees and work experience will make a difference. has anyone got some advise?

Graduates applying for Barts A100 will be ranked against the other graduate applicants applying in that year according to their overall UKCAT score to determine which applicants to short-list for interview. And the cut off score last year was 670 (and the year before 660).

For their A101 course, as you've completed an undergraduate degree in neuroscience they will require you to have a grade B in AS/A-level chemistry, and meet their UKCAT cut off for this year (which last year was 705).

I feel that your UKCAT might not be enough to secure an interview Maurice.

You do however meet the UKCAT cut off score for Soton!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 388
Original post by GorgeousGlamour
Oh thats cool. Was it rely hard getting that B?? I bet it ate up ur time!!
Can u suggest any medical-related epq topics that I could do some research on? PLEASE. Thank you

The thing is I didn't concentrate much on it. We had 2 lessons of extended project each week. All the work I did was in class. I didn't do much at home.
For a topic, I would say you can write about a drug or a certain kind of treatment. Sorry if this is too vague, i'm not able to think of anything else :confused:
Original post by shapal210
The thing is I didn't concentrate much on it. We had 2 lessons of extended project each week. All the work I did was in class. I didn't do much at home.
For a topic, I would say you can write about a drug or a certain kind of treatment. Sorry if this is too vague, i'm not able to think of anything else :confused:

Oh right, I c... We only have ONE lesson a week. Oh dear, I better be very organised. The planning and all - is that the hard part??
Reply 390
Officially a Bart's applicant! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
I achieved 460 points for my A levels. I am on my gap year and taking CPE ( grade A : 140 points ) My tutor has predicted me for getting an A in CPE.
Would Barts admission take in account my predicted A in CPE? Would my tariff points be 460 or 600? Thank you!
hi guys, has anyone received any configuration email from Barts?
Reply 393
Original post by kcapsoccer

Nope I haven't, and I don't think anyone from my school has either... Do they even send one or are they just taking their time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys.

My ucas tarrif points are 530, but my EPQ is currently 'pending' on UCAS, restricting me from getting a potential 590/600. What's QM's attitude to a pending EPQ? Would it be counted? :frown:
Original post by kcapsoccer

i haven't. i don't think anyone i know who applied there has got anything back either
Reply 396
How do you work out tariff points?
These are my stats:
GCSE's: 3.5 A*'s, 6A's, 1B
AS: AAAa in chem, maths, biology, and physics
Predictions A*A*A

I have no other things which I can gain tariff points from.
Reply 397
Original post by HayyanN
How do you work out tariff points?
These are my stats:
GCSE's: 3.5 A*'s, 6A's, 1B
AS: AAAa in chem, maths, biology, and physics
Predictions A*A*A

I have no other things which I can gain tariff points from.

The others can correct me if I'm wrong but based on those predictions and your AS, your tariff points overall would be 460: 140 for each A* prediction, 120 for the A prediction and 60 for the a at AS level.
Officialy a Barts applicant :smile: Exciting times
Same! (Again applying aha :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending