The Student Room Group

Advice for my nursing application?

Hi I am applying for child nursing but maybe adult. Last year I applied for midwifery but was unsuccessful so obv quite upset. But i realised that nursing is the course for me! i'm not sure i have the right work experience
In my current gap year I have decided to study Biology AS (self teaching)
In my a levels I got ABC (Sociology, Philosopy and ethics RE and History)

I have experience of:
1 year at British heart foundation
1 year working with autistic children and families
2 weeks at university in a team undertaking clerical work
tutoring a boy weekly
in sixth form i helped a year 7 student with her reading
weekly attending a nursing home for people with dementia
and lastly 3 months helping at a primary school!
struggling to find hospital work experience :'(
is this enough?
You've got loads of experience, you have nothing to worry about! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah you've got loads of experience. Remember to highlight what you learned from this and you should be fine. Good luck.xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabahb
Hi I am applying for child nursing but maybe adult. Last year I applied for midwifery but was unsuccessful so obv quite upset. But i realised that nursing is the course for me! i'm not sure i have the right work experience
In my current gap year I have decided to study Biology AS (self teaching)
In my a levels I got ABC (Sociology, Philosopy and ethics RE and History)

I have experience of:
1 year at British heart foundation
1 year working with autistic children and families
2 weeks at university in a team undertaking clerical work
tutoring a boy weekly
in sixth form i helped a year 7 student with her reading
weekly attending a nursing home for people with dementia
and lastly 3 months helping at a primary school!
struggling to find hospital work experience :'(
is this enough?

I'm a first year in child branch, :smile: you've got loads of experience!

big tip is swot up on the news with nursing, any legislation change, any reports, the Francis report etc. have a neutral opinion, explain good and bad bits.

never said "I love children" always emphasise your passion care caring for children. always have a reason why child? for me I'd been in hospital myself.

if your ever in a group interview make sure you talk allot, but lets others talk when there talking nod in agreement and say things like "I totally agree" ask people questions etc makes you look good!!

I only had adult experience so don't worry:smile: people apple with no expir at all :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by graceey_bear
I'm a first year in child branch, :smile: you've got loads of experience!

big tip is swot up on the news with nursing, any legislation change, any reports, the Francis report etc. have a neutral opinion, explain good and bad bits.

never said "I love children" always emphasise your passion care caring for children. always have a reason why child? for me I'd been in hospital myself.

if your ever in a group interview make sure you talk allot, but lets others talk when there talking nod in agreement and say things like "I totally agree" ask people questions etc makes you look good!!

I only had adult experience so don't worry:smile: people apple with no expir at all :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good advice here. Along with this also have a think about if they were to ask you, "why not adult nursing (or MH or LD)?".

The nursing times website is OK for nursing current affairs, though if you go into some larger newsagents like WH smiths you should be able to get a copy of the Nursing Standard (it's weekly) which is pretty good for current affairs within nursing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending