The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JodieW
How long ago did you apply? Also, what GCSEs and AS grades and predicted grades did you get? (:

I don't know if I should apply, gah. My GCSEs aren't really exceptional.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by thinkthings
For all those who got the above email - when did you guys send in your applications? Just wondering how look it took between date of submission and receiving the email.

Original post by CD315
Glad to see LSE are on the ball this year and keeping applicants in the know - last year I had absolutely nothing for months.

Those of you with that email; it'd be nice to know how long ago you applied.

My UCAS application went off on the 25th. I got an initial email saying the process had started on the 7th.

11A*'s GCSE, A* Maths A2, AS Russian A and A*A*A predicted for A2. I wouldn't be pessimistic about your grades, just make sure you have a spread of uni's around your predicted grades :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 341
Original post by Donniee
My UCAS application went off on the 25th. I got an initial email saying the process had started on the 7th.

11A*'s GCSE, A* Maths A2, AS Russian A and A*A*A predicted for A2. I wouldn't be pessimistic about your grades, just make sure you have a spread of uni's around your predicted grades :smile:

Awesome. Do you think it's just the economics department doing this? Have you heard of any maths applicants getting it?
Original post by CD315
Awesome. Do you think it's just the economics department doing this? Have you heard of any maths applicants getting it?

I have no idea, you'll have to ask the maths applicants!
Original post by CD315

Someone on the LSE subforum applying for Law got the same email. So it's more than just the economics department that are getting vetted at the moment
Reply 344
Original post by thinkthings
For all those who got the above email - when did you guys send in your applications? Just wondering how look it took between date of submission and receiving the email.

Original post by JodieW
Could I ask what your GCSEs, AS grades and A2 predicted are? :smile:

Original post by SPark9625
When did you send your UCAS away?

Sent my application away on the 4th of October

12A*s at GCSEs, A* in Maths A2 and predicted A*A*A* (including Further Maths)

Applying for straight Economics
Reply 345
Is anyone here applying for the government course?

I'm hoping its slightly less competitive but I know it'll still be very hard. My predicted grades will probably be AAA in Eng Lit, RS and History ( I also got A in Psychology AS) and I got 3 A*'s 6 A's 1B and 1 C at GCSE.

Do you think I should bother applying considering I only have AAA?
Original post by Donniee
I have no idea, you'll have to ask the maths applicants!

I have applied for maths and economics and I also had an email on Monday. It said they were reviewing my academic qualifications and personal statement and this should take around 2 weeks. After that time they should be in touch with me again.
Reply 347
Original post by josiejo1970
I have applied for maths and economics and I also had an email on Monday. It said they were reviewing my academic qualifications and personal statement and this should take around 2 weeks. After that time they should be in touch with me again.

2 weeks?!
Original post by Giant
Got my additional questionnaire today (applying for straight Economics)

Much simpler than the Cambridge one, all I had to do was to fill out my AS/A Level module grades. They seem to be really fussed about Further Maths (asking for a reason if you weren't studying it) and they asked for Maths/FM module scores first. They specified not to put down Critical Thinking/General Studies module marks

Hello !

I am an international student, Do you know how can I fill out this questionnaire if I have already taken the baccalaureate ? It is horrible I don't know what to do , why did they send this to me ?!

Reply 349
Original post by StudioBagel
Hello !

I am an international student, Do you know how can I fill out this questionnaire if I have already taken the baccalaureate ? It is horrible I don't know what to do , why did they send this to me ?!

I'm not sure, sorry

If I were you, I would phone up the admissions team and ask them
Original post by CD315
2 weeks?!

Yes, it said 2 weeks. Don't think that means offer or rejection in 2 weeks - probably just will find out if I am through to the next stage of selection.
Yes, it said 2 weeks. Don't think that means offer or rejection in 2 weeks - probably just will find out if I am through to the next stage of selection.

Much more organised than last year's process, they had me waiting 5 months in agony with not so much as a peep from the admissions selectors,I think they are trying to keep the candidates' sanity this year
Reply 352
About to send off my application now . applying for management. I'm applying to LSE, Warwick, Southampton, Bristol and Queen Mary.
My IGCSE are 2A* 5A 1B and 1C
got predicted A*AA for maths business& economics and chemistry.
My statement is not too bad, but I mostly say about my internships since my extra curricular activities isn't too great. Do you guys think I stand a chance?
Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353
Original post by President M.E.
Much more organised than last year's process, they had me waiting 5 months in agony with not so much as a peep from the admissions selectors,I think they are trying to keep the candidates' sanity this year

Same with me. I'm glad that this time they're more open about it all.
Original post by Ahopes
Is anyone here applying for the government course?

I'm hoping its slightly less competitive but I know it'll still be very hard. My predicted grades will probably be AAA in Eng Lit, RS and History ( I also got A in Psychology AS) and I got 3 A*'s 6 A's 1B and 1 C at GCSE.

Do you think I should bother applying considering I only have AAA?

My GCSE's are considerably worse than yours, but it's somewhat irrelevant as I'm taking an access course and as such the GCSEs aren't taken into consideration. How did you do in Eng Lit RS and History at AS? It's maybe worth speaking to your teachers to ask them to bump up the prediction to A*. Bear in mind, though, that even Cambridge mention that when weighing up applicants they don't even differentiate between an A and A* prediction because it's not an exact science at all. (That said, they do see your Pre-U if you apply to them so it's maybe why they're more relaxed)

I think the most important question to ask yourself, though, is BSc Government actually the course you want to do, or are you 'settling' because it's at LSE and it's less competitive?

I'm applying for Government myself but that's because I think the degree programme looks fantastic and there's not anything on there I wouldn't want to study. By comparison, I was toying with the idea of Eastern European Studies & Politics @ UCL before I came to my senses and thought 'What am I thinking? I'm not interested in Eastern Europe!'

Choose a degree you want to do, not one you'll settle for because of the nameplate above the door.
Original post by CD315
2 weeks?!

You get that email before you receive the questionnaire, then if you're accepted further into their assessment you are told it will take up to 5 weeks to receive another reply.
Any philosophy and economics applicants here? Do we need to submit UMS?
Reply 357
Original post by StretfordEnd
My GCSE's are considerably worse than yours, but it's somewhat irrelevant as I'm taking an access course and as such the GCSEs aren't taken into consideration. How did you do in Eng Lit RS and History at AS? It's maybe worth speaking to your teachers to ask them to bump up the prediction to A*. Bear in mind, though, that even Cambridge mention that when weighing up applicants they don't even differentiate between an A and A* prediction because it's not an exact science at all. (That said, they do see your Pre-U if you apply to them so it's maybe why they're more relaxed)

I think the most important question to ask yourself, though, is BSc Government actually the course you want to do, or are you 'settling' because it's at LSE and it's less competitive?

I'm applying for Government myself but that's because I think the degree programme looks fantastic and there's not anything on there I wouldn't want to study. By comparison, I was toying with the idea of Eastern European Studies & Politics @ UCL before I came to my senses and thought 'What am I thinking? I'm not interested in Eastern Europe!'

Choose a degree you want to do, not one you'll settle for because of the nameplate above the door.

No I totally agree with you and I was the same with UCL I realised their course wasnt what I was interested in. When I talked about it being less competitive that was just me saying I hoped it wouldnt be as competitive as I see some of the other LSE courses are.

I got four A's at AS and I think I might be able to push my Eng Lit to an A* prediction. If my predicted grades were A*AA would LSE still make me an offer of AAA or would it be pushed up to A*AA?
Original post by Donniee
You get that email before you receive the questionnaire, then if you're accepted further into their assessment you are told it will take up to 5 weeks to receive another reply.

Im sure that is the case for economics but not for maths and economics. You don't have to fill out a questionnaire for maths and economics.
Im sure that is the case for economics but not for maths and economics. You don't have to fill out a questionnaire for maths and economics.

I wonder then what they do assess in the first 2 weeks that they don't in the next 5 :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending