The Student Room Group

Do you thank the bus driver?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Yeah the bus drivers round here will stop anywhere and drive a bit to fast - had a crash once. But I still always say thanks.
Yes, I always say thank you to the bus driver. It's polite! However, it really grates on me when people say "thanks driver." I have no idea why! :p: Why the need to include his job title when a simple "thanks/thank you" will suffice.

QUOTE=Captain Haddock;44760268]In London? No. Everywhere else? Yes.

I've never been on a bus where the radio is on! :lolwut: Is this a common thing?
Original post by cambio wechsel
I've more than once caught myself thanking the ATM.

Yes, then.

So glad I scrolled down this far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, don't be silly, I'm a Londoner!

I'm kidding. Slightly. I love the idea but I have pretty bad social anxiety and the idea of shouting "thanks" across a congest bus during rush hour makes me uncomfortable.
So it seems that the general consensus is that people do thank the driver with a possible exception of people in London. I wonder why that is? Are the buses in London dirtier or later than buses in other cities so people are in worse moods when they exit the bus? Is it a case of there being more foreigners in London who in their native countries wouldn't say thank you so they have introduced that practice into London? Or perhaps another reason. I would like to hear from any non-British here or people who have used a bus in another country regarding if people said thank you in those countries.
Because it's a hard job?

Doesn't take much effort to say thank you, there not asking you to travel all the way to London and donate a Kigney.
Reply 66
Original post by Ripper-Roo
How can you "accidently" drop litter?

It'a windy, or you take something out of your bag and other things fall out, or keys out of your pocket and tissues fall out. It's really not that difficult.
Reply 67
Original post by Katie_p
It'a windy, or you take something out of your bag and other things fall out, or keys out of your pocket and tissues fall out. It's really not that difficult.

That's not litter though. It's not the cleaner's job to pick your belongings up
Reply 68
If you had any kind of damn manners you would.
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
I am just wondering if the people of TSR say thank you to the bus driver when they exit. If so, why? You have paid a company for the bus ticket and the driver is not taking you from place to place from the kindness of his/her own heart, so why do you thank them for doing something they are supposed to do? Should you also thank street cleaners as you walk past them? Thoughts? (I would like to add that I am not necessarily saying if I do or do not say thank you my self, I am just wondering about other peoples opinions). Edit: I am not quite sure why I have been negged, I have simply asked a question.

when you are in a shop, do you not say please and thank you to the cashier?
Original post by Yi-Ge-Ningderen
why do you thank them for doing something they are supposed to do?

Yes. I would also thank a taxi driver, a waiter who brings me some food, the shop assistant when I buy something, the hairdresser, the nurse who treats me, the librarian who helps me find a book, the postman if I see him outside and he hands me a letter and pretty much everyone who does something to help me EVEN IF IT'S JUST THEIR JOB.

Why? Because I'm a normal human being who appreciates politeness.
My dad's a bus driver.
And so yes. I do.
Because I know what pain they go threw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
That's not litter though. It's not the cleaner's job to pick your belongings up

Are you deliberately being annoying? If I take my key out of my pocket and drop a receipt or a wrapper and a street cleaner picks it up with one of those picker-sticks before I can bend down to get it, I say thank you. Yes, this or something similar has happened before. If the thing I drop is litter (as a wrapper is) then it IS the cleaner's job, but because I have caused them to pick it up by dropping it, I say thank you (and probably oops or sorry). If I walk past them picking up a wrapper that somebody else dropped, accidentally or deliberately, I don't say anything to them.
Jeez, is it really that difficult to understand? Have you never accidentally had some rubbish fall from your hand/pocket/bag?!
i say thank u to bus drivers, if street cleaners or building maintenance have to pause for me to walk by i also thank them. A simple gesture can go a long way, u never know the effect u'd have on someone's day.
Nah, being in London.
Plus I almost always go out the door in the middle.
Reply 75
I live at the first/last stop for the main buses I take and seem to know some of them now. I don't say thanks but I nod as I jump on and give them a thumbs up or something as I leave sometimes, at least for the ones I know.
Reply 76
Original post by Katie_p
Are you deliberately being annoying? If I take my key out of my pocket and drop a receipt or a wrapper and a street cleaner picks it up with one of those picker-sticks before I can bend down to get it, I say thank you. Yes, this or something similar has happened before. If the thing I drop is litter (as a wrapper is) then it IS the cleaner's job, but because I have caused them to pick it up by dropping it, I say thank you (and probably oops or sorry). If I walk past them picking up a wrapper that somebody else dropped, accidentally or deliberately, I don't say anything to them.
Jeez, is it really that difficult to understand? Have you never accidentally had some rubbish fall from your hand/pocket/bag?!

How close to you would this cleaner need to be standing in order to be able to pick the wrappers etc up quickly enough, that you couldn't do yourself?
Reply 77
Original post by chazwomaq
Yes. I would also thank a taxi driver, a waiter who brings me some food, the shop assistant when I buy something, the hairdresser, the nurse who treats me, the librarian who helps me find a book, the postman if I see him outside and he hands me a letter and pretty much everyone who does something to help me EVEN IF IT'S JUST THEIR JOB.

Why? Because I'm a normal human being who appreciates politeness.

The bus driver, hairdresser, librarian, aren't being polite by giving you a service, it's their job.
Reply 78
How close to you would this cleaner need to be standing in order to be able to pick the wrappers etc up quickly enough, that you couldn't do yourself?

I didn't say it happened every day. I said when it happens, I thank them for doing their job. It has happened on two occasions that I can remember. I'm sorry if this is difficult for you to understand, sometimes things that seem unlikely actually happen, because, you know, they're not impossible.
Reply 79
When they wait for me to run to the bus I say thank you, other than that no

Quick Reply

Latest