The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glousck
Just found out you guys have a player in your youth team called Nortei Nortey :coma:

I have a feeling he left, must have been naughty. :borat:
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
We definitely should not be making any predictions for the title yet. Hopefully under Jose we won't have our annual 'bad moment' in which we fall out of the running.

Ultimately, it's how Jose Mourinho plays top 6 teams.
United - 1 point
Spurs - 1 point
Everton - 0 points
Not looking too great now is it? If he keeps deciding to drop 2 points in big games it will be close to impossible to win the title.
On the other hand, a win against Man City would make us the favorites all over again.
We will do better against the likes of United/Everton/Spurs because we have more depth so I would expect us to win the 2nd matches in the 2nd half of the season.
Original post by cleveradam
United - 1 point
Spurs - 1 point
Everton - 0 points
Not looking too great now is it? If he keeps deciding to drop 2 points in big games it will be close to impossible to win the title.
On the other hand, a win against Man City would make us the favorites all over again.
We will do better against the likes of United/Everton/Spurs because we have more depth so I would expect us to win the 2nd matches in the 2nd half of the season.

Well all three of those games were away from home, so I'm not too worried about them. Although I agree at home we should be picking up 3 points against top six teams.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24481016

This is good news. I hope we're interested.
Reply 7084
Original post by The Assassin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24481016

This is good news. I hope we're interested.

Same, we desperately need a defensive mid.
:rofl:

Spoiler

Reply 7086
United - 1 point
Spurs - 1 point
Everton - 0 points

Mmm. With the Utd game I'd say he was just being cautious. It was his first big test since coming and he didn't want to lose I guess
Everton our players were shockingly bad and a few mistakes cost is
Spurs I don't see how you can use that game as proof as we did nothing but attack in the first half and would probably have won if Torres hadn't been sent off. Oh well we'll see how the City game pans out but so far I wouldn't say he plays all the big teams defensively

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lukaku has already scored twice in the qualifier against Croatia so far (early kick-off). Loan him out they said, it'll be fun they said
Reply 7088
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Lukaku has already scored twice in the qualifier against Croatia so far (early kick-off). Loan him out they said, it'll be fun they said

Lukaku asked to be loaned out.
Original post by trrr
Lukaku asked to be loaned out.

Because he wasn't getting much game time.
Original post by Enoxial
Because he wasn't getting much game time.

Which in itself redounds nothing to the credit of our management.
Original post by Buk_Lau

What you fans did to Rafa Benetiz is stupendous, disgraceful behavior from all you Chelsea fans.

Great oxymoron there; your grasp of the English language is stupendous.
Reply 7092
United - 1 point
Spurs - 1 point
Everton - 0 points

Have you noticed something about all those games we played? When you notice that, you'll understand why we have such a low points tally against the top 6/7 teams so far this season.

I hope I'm right, but I see us putting in a positive performance against city, although I'd personally wouldn't mind a draw at home and away to them. I'm confident of beating the rest of the teams at home bar city though and their consistency so far has been lacking in comparison to us(we lost to basel but we've won every other game we're clear favourites for).

United did this for years under fergie too, poor or decent in the big games and win the rest of the games, I doubt under mourinho we'll be losing to QPR at home(or hull at the bridge if you want a comparison of the teams nonsensical losses we've had the past few seasons at home to their current PL counterparts) although tbf our bench could probably win the title and we didn't have that last season.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by KingMessi
Which in itself redounds nothing to the credit of our management.

From day 1 I knew loaning Lukaku was a bad idea...
Original post by Enoxial
From day 1 I knew loaning Lukaku was a bad idea...

Most people did. Form over reputation, and Lukaku's form over the last sixteen months or so has been exemplary.
Original post by jam277
Have you noticed something about all those games we played? When you notice that, you'll understand why we have such a low points tally against the top 6/7 teams so far this season.

I hope I'm right, but I see us putting in a positive performance against city, although I'd personally wouldn't mind a draw at home and away to them. I'm confident of beating the rest of the teams at home bar city though and their consistency so far has been lacking in comparison to us(we lost to basel but we've won every other game we're clear favourites for).

United did this for years under fergie too, poor or decent in the big games and win the rest of the games, I doubt under mourinho we'll be losing to QPR at home(or hull at the bridge if you want a comparison of the teams nonsensical losses we've had the past few seasons at home to their current PL counterparts) although tbf our bench could probably win the title and we didn't have that last season.

Tbh, we'd have won the spurs game had Torres stayed on plus the Everton game was just poor poor finishing. Eto'o should've had at least 2 plus Schurrle's chance, then Oscar gets fouled in the box Ivanovic headed over.

Our team is probably in the top 3 most dangerous counter-attacking in Europe and against City, all we need is for Cole to tuck in if Navas is playing to stop them playing wide (which they hardly do anyway). Clichy likes to run forward so there will be space on our right side
Reply 7096
For some reason can't see 9mmbulletz post.

But anyway we are pretty dangerous on the counter attack. Something I said last season and the importance of us getting a guy like schurrle on the team as hazard was the only person who provided a consistent attacking outlet. Watching us get dominated in the europa league final due to the lack of eden hazard was a testament to that(if it wasn't blindingly apparent already).

However that doesn't mean that we won't play positively against city just because we are a good counter attacking side atm(although good in possession too) we'll play on the counter attack(see bayern game in super cup) rather than just playing defensively to stifle their game(like against united). Mourinho knows the importance of our home games. For this reason we'll do well at home.

I will concede however that we probably looked a little stronger under benitez with our first 11, but that was after a 5 month bedding in period. But when we do find out our best 11 and they gel we'll be pretty scary I feel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
For some reason can't see 9mmbulletz post.

But anyway we are pretty dangerous on the counter attack. Something I said last season and the importance of us getting a guy like schurrle on the team as hazard was the only person who provided a consistent attacking outlet. Watching us get dominated in the europa league final due to the lack of eden hazard was a testament to that(if it wasn't blindingly apparent already).

However that doesn't mean that we won't play positively against city just because we are a good counter attacking side atm(although good in possession too) we'll play on the counter attack(see bayern game in super cup) rather than just playing defensively to stifle their game(like against united). Mourinho knows the importance of our home games. For this reason we'll do well at home.

I will concede however that we probably looked a little stronger under benitez with our first 11, but that was after a 5 month bedding in period. But when we do find out our best 11 and they gel we'll be pretty scary I feel.

Basically all I said is we need Cole to stop Navas, while Clichy will leave space on his own side. City are not naturally wide so we can squeeze them, although this will mean we're going to concede lots of possession centrally so we may be better off trying to widen the game so we can play more to our strength.

I think we can play well once we click although we need to sort out our central midfield. When Mourinho was last here we had Ballack, Lampard, Essien and Makelele plus Mikel. Bar Mikel, these were all top midfield players and some of the best in their position. I don't need to tell you how good Ballack was at keeping the ball and spraying it around, or how good Makelele was at disrupting opponents play and passing to Ballack/Lampard to start attacks. And I don't need to mention how good Essien was with his striding forward runs.

Although back then, we looked really flat mainly because of Robben's lack of game time from 2006 onwards. In his first 2 seasons, he helped us win the league because he and Duff offered pace with our solid midfield so we always looked dangerous. Then we became flat and Mourinho saw sense in Malouda (not bad mind, but not fit to tie Robben's laces imo). So for a good 5 years, we had no genuine wide fast players until Sturridge was put out there (til he was replaced by Kalou for RDM :rolleyes:). Now we finally have some good pace in attacking positions but the problem remains that since we've sold Makelele, Ballack and Deco (3-5 year time span), we have lacked the ability to control games. Our 2011-2012 CL knockout campaign strongly indicated this. At the Bridge, Benfica had a lot of the ball and we were heavily reliant on their awful defense. Next year in the Europa League, they had lots of the ball and we caught them out because they can't defend.

I'm pretty sure Mourinho is aware of our central midfield problem and will address this with necessary changes
Reply 7098
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Basically all I said is we need Cole to stop Navas, while Clichy will leave space on his own side. City are not naturally wide so we can squeeze them, although this will mean we're going to concede lots of possession centrally so we may be better off trying to widen the game so we can play more to our strength.

I think we can play well once we click although we need to sort out our central midfield. When Mourinho was last here we had Ballack, Lampard, Essien and Makelele plus Mikel. Bar Mikel, these were all top midfield players and some of the best in their position. I don't need to tell you how good Ballack was at keeping the ball and spraying it around, or how good Makelele was at disrupting opponents play and passing to Ballack/Lampard to start attacks. And I don't need to mention how good Essien was with his striding forward runs.

Although back then, we looked really flat mainly because of Robben's lack of game time from 2006 onwards. In his first 2 seasons, he helped us win the league because he and Duff offered pace with our solid midfield so we always looked dangerous. Then we became flat and Mourinho saw sense in Malouda (not bad mind, but not fit to tie Robben's laces imo). So for a good 5 years, we had no genuine wide fast players until Sturridge was put out there (til he was replaced by Kalou for RDM :rolleyes:). Now we finally have some good pace in attacking positions but the problem remains that since we've sold Makelele, Ballack and Deco (3-5 year time span), we have lacked the ability to control games. Our 2011-2012 CL knockout campaign strongly indicated this. At the Bridge, Benfica had a lot of the ball and we were heavily reliant on their awful defense. Next year in the Europa League, they had lots of the ball and we caught them out because they can't defend.

I'm pretty sure Mourinho is aware of our central midfield problem and will address this with necessary changes

I remember saying a similar thing when we faced city at the etihad last season and playing lamps, luiz and ramires in midfield to add steel/pace and narrow the midfield but play wide on the counter attack. In this match I'd like to see schurrle on the right, oscar/mata in the middle and hazard on the left. I think we should hit both sides on the counter or at least target a side with a guy who will stay out wide.

We know the CM position needs to be sorted, I hope he can either improve ramires or get the right player for the team, he did get khedira for real and I doubt he's blinded by loyalty to play lamps every match. I'm sure he didn't get MVG to put him on the bench all season, but I hope he doesn't get romeu syndrome and be forgotten. Annoyed that RDM didn't play the two tbh although he was giving sturridge a chance near the end though.

I'd say RDM's tactics that season was basically a low block for most of the game and work hard players, which was why we dropped sturridge and played ramires there, personally feel that he should have played more and it would have done more for our lack of creativity(and service since the guy clearly can pass/cross) and sturridge and drogba in full form on the counter attack would have been beastly.

Saying that I liked how he put his faith in bertrand though.
Yes, the fundamental problem with our team isn't our lack of strikers but moreso our very poor midfield

We look alright with our team now but I cannot emphasise enough how we'd look so much better with improvements there -- in fact the problem there is just so clear to see. Sooo many problems would fixed if we adjusted that area. Rampard is possibility our best combo or Ramel which is pretty damn shocking :biggrin:. Please Mourinho get two midfielders next summer.

I know most here don't rate Ramires that highly (one of the few sites that don't, in fact!), but he's probably our most important player right now...
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest