The Student Room Group

is it true there are plans to extend the school day until 5pm?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
What time does your school start?

Hello Nav! Where on Earth have you been! ?

Also, people talking about "THis would be in line with the real world" I'm sure uni is really real world, where your contact hours drop year on year....
Reply 21
Original post by ToLiveInADream
What? My school is scraping evening registration so we leave at 3.10 instead of 3.30...but we're an academy now so that probably makes a difference?

What...we have registration yet we still finish at 3:05...
Reply 22
If this happens, I'm moving back to America!!!
Original post by de_monies

Also, people talking about "THis would be in line with the real world" I'm sure uni is really real world, where your contact hours drop year on year....

Hiya! :wavey:
I'll just message you, we don't want to hijack this thread. :wink:

Exactly. I think the idea of extending school hours is ridiculous. It's not practical for both the students and teachers. Students need to relax and some students have a long journey to school. They will get home very have and have no energy whatsoever to work. I'm sure many people will agree with me when I say concentrating in class becomes next to impossible after 3:00pm. And lastly, think about the poor teachers! Teachers have families and kids that they need to look after - it is not fair on them.
Hiya! :wavey:
I'll just message you, we don't want to hijack this thread. :wink:

Exactly. I think the idea of extending school hours is ridiculous. It's not practical for both the students and teachers. Students need to relax and some students have a long journey to school. They will get home very have and have no energy whatsoever to work. I'm sure many people will agree with me when I say concentrating in class becomes next to impossible after 3:00pm. And lastly, think about the poor teachers! Teachers have families and kids that they need to look after - it is not fair on them.

Lol fair enough and THIS. I come home from work, go straight to the gym, and tbh I feel really really tired. I couldn't do homework like this lol

I mean all I wanna do now is watch some iplayer :biggrin: And that's true. It takes more teacher time marking stuff
Reply 25
some teachers at my school work until 7-8 at night, and they give their spare time to after school clubs, asking them to teach for longer on top of this is madness
My school already does, Im in year 13 and I finish at 17:00 on 3 out of 5 days a week. Last year it was 17:30 but they've changed it now. The latest year 7s and 8s finish is 14:45 and for year 9 till 11 its 16:00. Not sure if there are plans to extend the school day till 17:00 nationally..
Reply 27
Oh my! That's pretty bad. I'm home by that time. :biggrin:

Do you have 2 break times and 1 lunchtime or something? Or do you just have extended breaks?

Nope, just one break and one lunchtime :smile:
Why can't kids just be kids these days, yeh being a kid is a time for learning, but ultimately it is most likely going to be the only in your life when you don't have worries and have as much fun as you like :facepalm:
Im in year 9, and its the same for the rest of the school: 8:35 untill 3:10
A lot of people here arguing the practical problems of lengthening the school day (concentration issues, expecting even more working hours from teachers etc.) but there seems to be little talk of the insidious way in which the state seeks to force children to spend longer and longer time in places where they are forced to conform to a very specific, rigid and homogenous set of social patterns day in and day out.

There is a strong argument that play and free time away from the authoritan nature of the classroom is important to the creative and social development of children, yet respective ministers of education seem to ever more want to marginalise these.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
my day is from 8.45 until 3.15, i work for around 2 hours after college and in my frees if this was extended i would be working all night, i need time to breathe
Reply 32
Stupid idea, I have to get up at 6 to get ready for school and actually get there, if it finished at 5 I wouldn't get home till closer to 6, so there's 12 hours out of my day taken up by school, no kid is going to concentrate for that long, I certainly couldn't even as a year 13. Not only that but when are they expected to do their own revision? I have my own way of revising that's different to what the teachers use and it drives me mad when they give me so much homework on topics I'm already confident with that I don't have time to do any of my own revision
Reply 33
My school starts so early, 8:25, so I'd hate it to go on till 5! At the moment we finish at 3:20, think a 7 hour school day is definately enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
my sister has told me that she heard they school day will also start earlier at 8am! i really hope this isn't true. at this rate, kids will not get enough sleep, and then how are they supposed to work and achieve well
Reply 35
Wow glad I'm leaving soon! Such a ridiculous idea! I heard about it being 4.30 a while back, but not 5.
If this happens, I'm gonna go laugh at my siblings and cousins. Doubt it will though..
Reply 37
Original post by de_monies

I don't know what uni you went to, but my contact hours haven't changed noticeably and don't look likely to do so in the future.
Original post by BlueSam3
I don't know what uni you went to, but my contact hours haven't changed noticeably and don't look likely to do so in the future.

Most people I know at various unis have had their contact hours reduced by around 2 hours/week each year.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
If this happens, I'm gonna go laugh at my siblings and cousins. Doubt it will though..

Tbf, Im probably going to do this as well, but still I am against the proposals. I don't think it encourages kids to learn at all. I think what Gove is trying to do is to appeal to his voters

Typically, your average Tory voter is a 9 - 5 worker. Why not make your kids education fit around your job....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending