The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for UCL - Computer Science?

There probably have been so many discussions about this in particular. But none of those precisely match my scenario and doesn't answer of what I need to know.

I would love to get into UCL. I have already had a look at their entry requirements. But my concern is in having achieved the grades and not getting in. Their total intake is 90, they have 9 people per 1 place.

My GCSE's are ABBBBCCDD, PASS. These are really low grades to what I have seen from people entering into courses. Although I do have reasons for attaining these grades. Came to UK when I was 11 and had Chicken pox during GCSE exams.

I take Maths, Economics, English Language and Media Studies. My concern also is in not taking Further Maths and Physics. I don't have the grade for FM, I can't do Physics as I was forced to do BTEC Science at GCSE.

If I achieved above A*AA predictions for UCL, also had taken STEP beside it will I have an opportunity? That's all I'd like to know, please don't say "I don't know give it a try". Have a firm answer, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, you can do it! Given your circumstances, you are in with a decent chance :smile:
Work hard and get those all important A*AA predictions
Reply 2
Thanks, I wanted the first reply to be positive. I hope it ends up that way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
As long as you get your extenuating circumstances mentioned on your reference, you should have an okay-ish chance. Make sure your personal statement and predicted grades are really really strong though!
Reply 4
Original post by Shido
Thanks, I wanted the first reply to be positive. I hope it ends up that way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, it isn't simply the case of having the 'grades'. I know quite a lot of students in my year who had interviews and unfortunately got rejected. Your goal should be to get an interview and then ace the interview to get an offer. The only thing you will lose from applying is one place on your UCAS form, but seeing as you have set your eyes on UCL you have nothing to lose (except disappointment if you get rejected).

Good luck nevertheless. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
You should email an admissions tutor at UCL, you should get a much more reliable answer than one most TSR users will be able to offer you.I agree with FinalMH though, you might as well apply. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by FinalMH
Unfortunately, it isn't simple the case of having the 'grades'. I know quite a lot of students in my year who had interviews and unfortunately got rejected. Your goal should be to get interview and then ace the interview to get offer. The only thing you will lose from applying is one place on the application form, but seeing as you have set your eyes on UCL you have nothing to lose (except disappointment if you get rejected).

Good luck nevertheless. :smile:

The thing is, I believe that getting acknowledge and beig considered for a interview is the vital aspect than going on to interview. If they don't even consider me then no point thinking of interview. However if I do have the chance of interviewing, I'll not let myself reject from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Wild Nothing
You should email an admissions tutor at UCL, you should get a much more reliable answer than one most TSR users will be able to offer you.I agree with FinalMH though, you might as well apply. :smile:

I'm going to, but I thought I should first gather peoples opinions, which would be best as they had more experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shido
I'm going to, but I thought I should first gather peoples opinions, which would be best as they had more experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Yeah that's reasonable, just remember that most TSR experiences will be anecdotal.
Reply 9
Original post by osman705
Applied last year with similar gcses when the course had a requirement of AAA and I had predictions of AAB. Got an interview but failed it. (My own fault) So just apply as your risky choice.

I see, thanks for your input. Would you mind telling me your subjects in alevel? Now I at least know that they're kind enough to have interview process set up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I applied with the same GCSE's as you (But I got an extra C :smile: )

course wanted A*AA or A*AB but Maths at A* and FM at A

I never even did FM but still managed to get an offer (A*AB my predicted grades as well) without an interview needless to say I flopped my c3 exam and missed the offer but yeh it's more than possible

make sure your PS is solid as **** though, get all emotional lol
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by yaboy
I applied with the same GCSE's as you (But I got an extra C :smile: )

course wanted A*AA or A*AB but Maths at A* and FM at A

I never even did FM but still managed to get an offer (A*AB my predicted grades as well) without an interview needless to say I flopped my c3 exam and missed the offer but yeh it's more than possible

make sure your PS is solid as **** though, get all emotional lol

Yh, true get you. Thanks a lot. I'll try hard to get AAAA by end of AS. What did you pick for A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending