The Student Room Group

5th, Non Medical Choice for Universities Help, + rep to any Helpful Advice =)

Hello guys, I wanted to ask for some help! 3 questions
Is it advisable to put a 5th choice university as Bio-medical science?
Will it be an issue if I send a medicine personal statement (with all my reasons to do medicine) to a Bio-medical science course?
Am I able to add my 5th choice university (if I decided to) after I send my application (for universities that want their applications sent by 15 January 2014)?

Thanks guys :smile:, +rep to any helpful advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Hello guys, I wanted to ask for some help! 3 questions
Is it advisable to put a 5th choice university as Bio-medical science?
Will it be an issue if I send a medicine personal statement (with all my reasons to do medicine) to a Bio-medical science course?
Am I able to add my 5th choice university (if I decided to) after I send my application (for universities that want their applications sent by 15 January 2014)?

Thanks guys :smile:, +rep to any helpful advice

1. Yes its very common.
2. No. See 1
3. Yes

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Potally_Tissed
1. Yes its very common.
2. No. See 1
3. Yes

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :wavey:

What is the deadline for adding my 5th choice? And how much extra will it cost me, as I have already added 4 choices.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello :wavey:

What is the deadline for adding my 5th choice? And how much extra will it cost me, as I have already added 4 choices.

If it's not medicine/Oxbridge/etc, January 15th :yes: It won't cost anything. You can pay for one choice, or between two and five choices.
If it's not medicine/Oxbridge/etc, January 15th :yes: It won't cost anything. You can pay for one choice, or between two and five choices.

Would it be unwise to apply for Bio-medical science to one of my universities for medicine, as I heard that it shows that you ware indecisive, and cannot make decisions. Is that true?
Would it be unwise to apply for Bio-medical science to one of my universities for medicine, as I heard that it shows that you ware indecisive, and cannot make decisions. Is that true?

No, it's an entirely logical and sensible backup plan that universities will be well accustomed to seeing :yes:
No, it's an entirely logical and sensible backup plan that universities will be well accustomed to seeing :yes:

Oh I see, so am I able to change my current unis with a different one, but I have to do it within a week of receiving my tracker pack, and not add new unis?

Thanks
Oh I see, so am I able to change my current unis with a different one, but I have to do it within a week of receiving my tracker pack, and not add new unis?

Thanks

You can change a choice within seven days of the date on your UCAS welcome letter. If you used less than five choices you can add more at any time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yes - it's your back up for whatever reason you may not be able to do medicine e.g. Your grades or something. Or if you don't want to do medicine anymore.

Universities won't discriminate you for using a medicine ps.

Yes you can apply by 15 Jan after your medical applications.

I would recommend you apply to QUML for biomed as if you are one of the top 9 students, you're guaranteed a place in medicine. This is very useful if you don't get the right A-level grades and have to go graduated route.
You can change a choice within seven days of the date on your UCAS welcome letter. If you used less than five choices you can add more at any time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, overall, I am able to change a university choice (not add new ones), from my current selection within 7 days of getting my welcome letter. Am I also able to change what course I want to go to at my current applied universities, withing 7 days of receiving my welcome letter.

I am also able to apply to my 5th university choice for Bio medical science, for any university (except Cambridge and Oxford) by 15th January 2014, to receive equal consideration as any other applicant that applied before the 15th January 2014.

Is what I have said above all correct. Thanks again :biggrin:
So, overall, I am able to change a university choice (not add new ones), from my current selection within 7 days of getting my welcome letter. Am I also able to change what course I want to go to at my current applied universities, withing 7 days of receiving my welcome letter.

I am also able to apply to my 5th university choice for Bio medical science, for any university (except Cambridge and Oxford) by 15th January 2014, to receive equal consideration as any other applicant that applied before the 15th January 2014.

Is what I have said above all correct. Thanks again :biggrin:

All correct :yes:

Bear in mind that if you change a choice, you need to do so before the deadline for whatever choice you're changing it to.
Original post by XingBairong
Yes - it's your back up for whatever reason you may not be able to do medicine e.g. Your grades or something. Or if you don't want to do medicine anymore.

Universities won't discriminate you for using a medicine ps.

Yes you can apply by 15 Jan after your medical applications.

I would recommend you apply to QUML for biomed as if you are one of the top 9 students, you're guaranteed a place in medicine. This is very useful if you don't get the right A-level grades and have to go graduated route.

Hello there :biggrin:,

In what year will the be applicable for QMUL, i.e. does this happen in the 1st year, or 2nd or 3rd year respectively.

What would also happen if you were below the top 9 students, and you wanted to do medicine?

Thanks, I also gave you a + rep :smile:
All correct :yes:

Bear in mind that if you change a choice, you need to do so before the deadline for whatever choice you're changing it to.

I don't understand what you mean by the second sentence :redface:
I don't understand what you mean by the second sentence :redface:

I mean if you change a choice from medicine to another medicine choice with a deadline of October 15th, you need to make the change by the 15th.
Hello there :biggrin:,

In what year will the be applicable for QMUL, i.e. does this happen in the 1st year, or 2nd or 3rd year respectively.

What would also happen if you were below the top 9 students, and you wanted to do medicine?

Thanks, I also gave you a + rep :smile:

Thanks for the rep :smile:.

It's the first 2 years.
If you're not the top 9, you'll have to apply the normal GEP way. However 'more generally, the School of Biological & Chemical Sciences has an excellent record of preparing our graduates for admission to medicine and dentistry programmes, with around 20 students from the School typically gaining places at Barts and The London alone every year; many other graduates also gain places at other medical schools in London and elsewhere in the UK' QUML

OMG, why didn't I apply here for backup? Oh well, let hope we both get in the undergrad way.
Thanks for the rep :smile:.

It's the first 2 years.
If you're not the top 9, you'll have to apply the normal GEP way. However 'more generally, the School of Biological & Chemical Sciences has an excellent record of preparing our graduates for admission to medicine and dentistry programmes, with around 20 students from the School typically gaining places at Barts and The London alone every year; many other graduates also gain places at other medical schools in London and elsewhere in the UK' QUML

OMG, why didn't I apply here for backup? Oh well, let hope we both get in the undergrad way.

What is the GEP way?
Did you want to apply to QMUL for Medicine or Biomedical Sciences?
Hopefully :biggrin:
What is the GEP way?
Did you want to apply to QMUL for Medicine or Biomedical Sciences?
Hopefully :biggrin:

Graduated entry. I may have used the wrong abbreviation :P.

I applied to QUML for medicine.
Applied to UCL for biomed.
And kinda regret that I didn't apply to QUML for biomed as well :L.
Graduated entry. I may have used the wrong abbreviation :P.

I applied to QUML for medicine.
Applied to UCL for biomed.
And kinda regret that I didn't apply to QUML for biomed as well :L.

You can still apply to QMUL for Biomed
You can still apply to QMUL for Biomed

How do I do that? I used up all 5 choices and sent my application 2 weeks ago :P
How do I do that? I used up all 5 choices and sent my application 2 weeks ago :P

What uni did you apply to. You can swop your old uni for biomed to a different one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending