The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

If we retaken modules do we need to enter it in UCAS?
What if we retaken an AS module in A2?
Hey everyone, i was a bit dissapointed with my A2 results this summer, i got AABB ( bio, maths, chem, physics). Seems like i can only apply to the 6yr kings EMDP. As i have options left if i apply to normal 5yr med unis will i autamatically be rejected or will they see my ukcat, ps and then will look at my grades at a later stage?? Im really confused has anyone ever been in this situation??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Member427
Hey everyone, i was a bit dissapointed with my A2 results this summer, i got AABB ( bio, maths, chem, physics). Seems like i can only apply to the 6yr kings EMDP. As i have options left if i apply to normal 5yr med unis will i autamatically be rejected or will they see my ukcat, ps and then will look at my grades at a later stage?? Im really confused has anyone ever been in this situation??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you considered resitting the B in chemistry, it will open up your option as all standard 5 yr courses will probably reject AABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you looked at Southampton's BM6 course or considered resitting? Would you be eligible for St George's adjusted requirements?

I'm afraid most 5-year courses will automatically reject you.
Reply 2524

Posted from TSR Mobile

resit the chem, try getting an a* prediction and apply to places that allow resits! :smile: ... without resitting you have zero chance of getting onto a standard medical course even with extenuating circumstances (as far as I'm aware)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by babychocolate
Have you considered resitting the B in chemistry, it will open up your option as all standard 5 yr courses will probably reject AABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh i have considered resitting but it also will limit my choice of universities so i drcoded not too, if i dont get into kins this year too then ill probably go the grad route

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2526
Yh i have considered resitting but it also will limit my choice of universities so i drcoded not too, if i dont get into kins this year too then ill probably go the grad route

Posted from TSR Mobile

no offence but your options are already very limited and resitting will increase them? .. unless I'm missing something? :-)
Original post by manupalace
Have you looked at Southampton's BM6 course or considered resitting? Would you be eligible for St George's adjusted requirements?

I'm afraid most 5-year courses will automatically reject you.

Im not eligible for any other foundation medicine programs :frown: and what is the st george's adjusted requirements? Is there information about this in the website?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aknoeledged by Glasgow so far :biggrin: was quick!
Reply 2529

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kings, Soton, Notts and UEA all have foundation year courses. The entry requirements range from CCC to BBB which you easily surpass. If you are eligible to apply for the extended courses, you can if you want! My friend is in a very similar position and he is retaking of his chem modules to get a higher grade this year. He received interviews from all those unis with BBC at AS and a UKCAT of 600 last year... It's just an option that you can take.
Reply 2530
Original post by babychocolate
I sent my ucas yesterday! Then my school sent it back :sigh: Apparently I have to put all my AS levels even the ones I took to A2 even though im sure you don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I called up UCAS just before I sent off my application to ask about this. They told me that it is optional for you to put your AS grades down as well as your A2 grades. He told me that a lot of students put down both, which is also what my head of sixth form told me! I sent off my UCAS with both, I don't see any harm in doing so- it kinda gives the unis more information about your academic profile.
Original post by Obaidiio
Kings, Soton, Notts and UEA all have foundation year courses. The entry requirements range from CCC to BBB which you easily surpass. If you are eligible to apply for the extended courses, you can if you want! My friend is in a very similar position and he is retaking of his chem modules to get a higher grade this year. He received interviews from all those unis with BBC at AS and a UKCAT of 600 last year... It's just an option that you can take.

Thanks for information but I have checked all of them not eligible for any :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im not eligible for any other foundation medicine programs :frown: and what is the st george's adjusted requirements? Is there information about this in the website?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Have a look here
I called up UCAS just before I sent off my application to ask about this. They told me that it is optional for you to put your AS grades down as well as your A2 grades. He told me that a lot of students put down both, which is also what my head of sixth form told me! I sent off my UCAS with both, I don't see any harm in doing so- it kinda gives the unis more information about your academic profile.

That exactly what my school said. Its good to know that its optional as I ended up putting both anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2534
Thanks for information but I have checked all of them not eligible for any :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Is it because the school you go to doesn't fall into their list of eligible institutions? My school isn't all that great, I think that is the reason why my friends and I were able to apply!
Reply 2535
Original post by AS01
Hi
You seem to be really good at this :tongue:
I have A* in maths As in chem and bio and B in physics. No GCSEs dont have IGCSE too. UKCAT 630.5
I am thinking to apply to Brighton and Sussex, Keele, Cardiff not sure about fourth one. I chose Brighton and Sussex and Cardiff coz they use UKCAT only after interview.
and I have nice AS grades. Five As. Further maths included

Birmingham (if you have good GCSEs).
Would universities look down on applicants if they did only one science say like Chemistry and English Lang. and English Lit.?
Reply 2537
Original post by Drabnail777
Would universities look down on applicants if they did only one science say like Chemistry and English Lang. and English Lit.?

quite a few places seem to ask for chem + an other lab based science but I don't think all do. Take a look here;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
some others might ask for and A in GCSE biology for example if you didnt do it at A-level.
Reply 2538
woop just sent mine :smile:
Applied for glasgow, leicester, HYMS 'n' southampton
Really? Is it because the school you go to doesn't fall into their list of eligible institutions? My school isn't all that great, I think that is the reason why my friends and I were able to apply!

Even if my school did fall into the list, almost all of them ask for another criteria to be satisfied which i dont :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply