The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8360
It wound up being way more comfortable than you'd have thought at half time, but we looked so much better once we got our first goal.

Great goal from Townsend, he looked really good.
Original post by Wilfred Little
That penalty was terrible. If the keeper dives the right way it's an easy save. Dives the wrong way and it's cool as **** :rolleyes:.

Get the players practicing penalties Woy.

This.

The commentator said that it was a good pen, but it was actually awful. Easy save for the keeper if he goes the right way.
Original post by little_wizard123
Lampard I think. Gerrard for me is better in the double pivot. Wilshere missing out could be a good thing for him, knowing that his place isn't certain in the team.

Sure, that's understandable. I've always had a soft spot for Lampard because of his goal threat and because he's been such an admirable player for my club, but he is probably the easiest to leave out for team balance.

Very good performance tonight. A little tepid between twenty-five and fifty minutes, but good otherwise.
I've done the maths and to confirm, we are now guaranteed of a play-off spot.

In the 2nd placed teams table, we would be on 13 points if we lost to Poland (games versus San Marino do not count). In Group B where Bulgaria, Denmark, Czech Republic and Armenia are all fighting for 2nd place, Armenia are the team that can finish highest in the 2nd place table with potentially 12 points (excluding results versus Malta), meaning none of them can catch us, so we would definitely be one of the eight teams to qualify for the play-offs. It is likely we would be a seeded team, but not guaranteed.

So it's as simple as this, assuming Ukraine beat San Marino:
- Win and we've qualified.
- Draw or Lose and we're in the play-offs.
Reply 8364
:confused:

It's not really that outlandish. There are loads of people who consider themselves for example Nigerian, Ghanaian etc but support England because well, it's the only nation that actually feel part of/ know.

I guess it must be really confusing area for those that don't live close/ within the cohort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't watch the full match. (Particularly at 2-0) Were England too good, or were Montenegro complete pussies who employed San Marino tactics because they'd rather lose 2-0 than draw or lose 4-0?
Original post by NathanW18
This.

The commentator said that it was a good pen, but it was actually awful. Easy save for the keeper if he goes the right way.

It was pretty obvious Sturridge gave him the eyes, saw his dive one way, and rolled it the other. Well it was to me, anyway!
Original post by little_wizard123
It was pretty obvious Sturridge gave him the eyes, saw his dive one way, and rolled it the other. Well it was to me, anyway!

Didn't notice that. I would watch it again, but the videos have already been taken down on YouTube. I was only commenting on the commentator saying that it was a good penalty. It's only good when the keeper has little to no chance of saving it.
Reply 8368
English people are dickheads. If we get to a WC knockout watch all of these cocks come out of the woodwork.

& I'm English btw, just think it's stupid how people don't get behind the team and act like they don't care when the games don't matter as much but then when it's a WC or Euros they're hooked.

The Scots don't do it, the Welsh don't do it.

I'm not interested in England beyond morbid curiosity tbh. International football I only muster interest in general when it gets to the actual tournament. The quality of football in international football as a whole is terrible compared to club football, so it doesn't even provide an interest on that level.
Original post by 419
It's not really that outlandish. There are loads of people who consider themselves for example Nigerian, Ghanaian etc but support England because well, it's the only nation that actually feel part of/ know.

I guess it must be really confusing area for those that don't live close/ within the cohort.

No, I understand it, I just find it daft when people swear they are not English despite living here all their lives. If you've grown up here, you're an English person of whatever descent. England is an ancestrally mixed country anyway. & I think only 25% of my heritage is English, am I now not English? Example: I wouldn't call my nan English as although she has a British passport, she came here from the Caribbean and grew up there. My mum however is because she grew up here, even though she is of the same descent through both parents.

There is nothing wrong with acknowledging your heritage btw. I just read that debate and he said Welbeck wasn't English... What if Welbeck identifies as English :confused:. Welbeck is a born and bred Manc through and through, and I reckon if you told him he wasn't English he'd actually be insulted.

Also I've noticed that people who swear they aren't English, would say 'I've got a British passport' when in a discussion with a racist who says 'you're not British/English'.

Can argue all you like but that's where I stand on the issue.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
I didn't watch the full match. (Particularly at 2-0) Were England too good, or were Montenegro complete pussies who employed San Marino tactics because they'd rather lose 2-0 than draw or lose 4-0?

Far from it, they tried to keep most of their behind the ball in the first half due to the pressure. Montenegro opened up a lot more in the second half and actually caused England a few problems however, they were left vunerable to our counter-attack, which is what led to the goals.
Original post by NathanW18
Didn't notice that. I would watch it again, but the videos have already been taken down on YouTube. I was only commenting on the commentator saying that it was a good penalty. It's only good when the keeper has little to no chance of saving it.

Well there's two ways of doing it - 1) either putting it right in the corner so the keeper can't save it even if they go the right way, or 2) make the keeper go the wrong way. 2) requires less accuracy but also means you're not sure what'll happen up until the keeper makes the first move. If you make him go the wrong way, there's no chance he'll save it.
Really liked the look of Townsend.
Who heard Adrian Chiles' Polish comment? I can a smell shxtstorm coming for him.
Original post by Kruz
Who heard Adrian Chiles' Polish comment? I can a smell shxtstorm coming for him.

I did. Let's hope he gets sacked for it. I don't necessarily think he deserves the sack for the comment, but hopefully it's a valid excuse for ITV to can a truly awful presenter.
Original post by Existentialgrad
I did. Let's hope he gets sacked for it. I don't necessarily think he deserves the sack for the comment, but hopefully it's a valid excuse for ITV to can a truly awful presenter.

Yeah I agree he's awful, he makes me cringe. I don't want to see him at the ITV World Cup Coverage.
Original post by fallen_acorns
well thats that :smile:

Good good..

Should be easier on tuesday, with poland having nothing to play for anymore..

Expecting another dull-ish by functional game, with a comfortable win..

I don't like that phrase, nothing to play for. There's always pride.

That Poland have "nothing to play for" can easily work the other way.

Original post by Existentialgrad

If he gets sacked then I'm going to leave this world Poor presenter, but it was a ****ing joke. What's the difference between what Adrian Chiles said, and what Richard Osman said on HIGNFY broadcast the same night? Richard Osman's comment being something like Polish sheepdogs doing the work for half the price of English sheepdogs. Admittely HIGNFY is a satirical programme,

Some would say it's deserved, though, after Chiles was blamed for Carol Thatcher being sacked from the One Show.
Reply 8377
The ****-storm won't be as bad as it could have been because it'll likely be the Guardian/Telegraph leading it rather than the Daily Mail, who no doubt agree with him.
Original post by River85

If he gets sacked then I'm going to leave this world Poor presenter, but it was a ****ing joke. What's the difference between what Adrian Chiles said, and what Richard Osman said on HIGNFY broadcast the same night? Richard Osman's comment being something like Polish sheepdogs doing the work for half the price of English sheepdogs. Admittely HIGNFY is a satirical programme,

Some would say it's deserved, though, after Chiles was blamed for Carol Thatcher being sacked from the One Show.

I have Polish friends they weren't even offended by his comment, Lefties are at it again, they're just looking for something to be angry about.
Reply 8379
Very pleased with our win against Montenegro, have always proved elusive in the past three fixtures. Finally we see Hodgson take a gamble, nine times out of ten he'd had started Milner ahead of Townsend (not that I don't rate Milner as he's a useful player to have in the squad) but it paid off, Andros had a very promising debut, scored a good goal and looked sharp and direct which helped us win. Hopefully Hodgson takes note and continues to play to win rather than play to avoid defeat.

Latest