The Student Room Group

Plymouth Medicine Applicants 2014 Entry

Scroll to see replies

(edited 10 years ago)
Hi guys. Im a resit applicant so pretty much have to apply here lol. Got 6A*s and 3As at GCSE. A*A*BB first time round at A level, in Biology, Urdu (parents native language), Chemistry and Maths. Phoned plymouth up on results day and they said they would be happy to accept my Urdu so I would only need to resit chemistry. Im resitting both anyway cuz i think im capable of a grade A in both.

Only problem is my ukcat. Got an overall score of 762.5, band 2. Was well pleased with that. The problem was with the subtests:

VR 510
QR 800
AR 900
DA 840
Just verbal reasoning putting me off :/ what dyu guys think? Thanks in advance. Judging by the scores on here people do seem to be doing quite a bit worse on verbal reasoning compared to last year, but its still putting me off.
Reply 82
Original post by kashc94
Hi guys. Im a resit applicant so pretty much have to apply here lol. Got 6A*s and 3As at GCSE. A*A*BB first time round at A level, in Biology, Urdu (parents native language), Chemistry and Maths. Phoned plymouth up on results day and they said they would be happy to accept my Urdu so I would only need to resit chemistry. Im resitting both anyway cuz i think im capable of a grade A in both.

Only problem is my ukcat. Got an overall score of 762.5, band 2. Was well pleased with that. The problem was with the subtests:

VR 510
QR 800
AR 900
DA 840
Just verbal reasoning putting me off :/ what dyu guys think? Thanks in advance. Judging by the scores on here people do seem to be doing quite a bit worse on verbal reasoning compared to last year, but its still putting me off.

I personally don't want to put you off but for last years entry the minimum for VR was 550 making it very risky for you to apply. The format had changed this year and your right a lot of people have been doing worse in VR this time round so there is a chance that the cut-off may drop. Your best bet is to ring them up and see what information you can get out of them.
Reply 83
My stats: 7A*s 3A's B, AAAA, predicted AAA, UKCAT: VR: 530 QR 650 AR 900 DA 880 SJ band 3. Is it worth applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gary96
I personally don't want to put you off but for last years entry the minimum for VR was 550 making it very risky for you to apply. The format had changed this year and your right a lot of people have been doing worse in VR this time round so there is a chance that the cut-off may drop. Your best bet is to ring them up and see what information you can get out of them.

yeah going to ring them up tomorrow and check. Problem is I have to apply here as they are one of the few who accept resits :/ Thanks for ur help :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by kashc94
yeah going to ring them up tomorrow and check. Problem is I have to apply here as they are one of the few who accept resits :/ Thanks for ur help :smile:

Hi mate,

can you please post on here what they say, quite keen on knowing what they say.

cheers!
Right, just phone Plymouth up and they said that even though the cutoff for verbal reasoningg was 550 last year, they expect it to drop this year as they get at least 2 phone calls a day from students sayin that they have underperformed. But obviously she doesn't know how much it will drop by.

Also I asked them about their resit policy to make sure, and they said that I needed AAB at forst attempt, and along with the B I resit,they also want me either pick up an extra AS or complete one of my AS levels to A2, so that i am under similar pressure to those doing their A Levels first time.
Reply 87
Original post by kashc94
Right, just phone Plymouth up and they said that even though the cutoff for verbal reasoningg was 550 last year, they expect it to drop this year as they get at least 2 phone calls a day from students sayin that they have underperformed. But obviously she doesn't know how much it will drop by.

Also I asked them about their resit policy to make sure, and they said that I needed AAB at forst attempt, and along with the B I resit,they also want me either pick up an extra AS or complete one of my AS levels to A2, so that i am under similar pressure to those doing their A Levels first time.

Wow, that's harsh..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Just got an acknowledgement!! :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applied here today, hopefully second time lucky as I applied last year! Imagine the VR cut off will probably drop at least 20.. Anyway I'm a resitter too..

VR:580 QR:680 AR:900 DA:870 Overall:757.5

Who else is applying and what's your ukcat scores like?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by MichaelJoshua47
Applied here today, hopefully second time lucky as I applied last year! Imagine the VR cut off will probably drop at least 20.. Anyway I'm a resitter too..

VR:580 QR:680 AR:900 DA:870 Overall:757.5

Who else is applying and what's your ukcat scores like?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I got a similar ukcat to you! VR:550 QR:660 AR:900 DA:870 AV 745
I applied here last year too with 632,5 straight rejection lol what was I thinking :rolleyes:
Where else you applying?
Original post by ashamoh
Oh I got a similar ukcat to you! VR:550 QR:660 AR:900 DA:870 AV 745
I applied here last year too with 632,5 straight rejection lol what was I thinking :rolleyes:
Where else you applying?

I'm applying to bsms, Exeter and Southhampton! Yourself? Ey least we know a little more this time round :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by MichaelJoshua47
I'm applying to bsms, Exeter and Southhampton! Yourself? Ey least we know a little more this time round :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter, Leeds and Bristol :smile:
I just hope the VR subsection cut-off stays the same or goes down this year
What was Plymouth's sub-test cut-off scores for last year?
Reply 94
Original post by DoctorSomebody
What was Plymouth's sub-test cut-off scores for last year?

Go some pages back on this thread. I posted a table with the score cutoff for last year and the two years prior that!
****s sake... Ukcat average for verbal reasoning is 557 this year and I applied with 510 screwed haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feel more confident after seeing VR is 557 applied with 580 ukcat! Hopefully that'll be okay for this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by kashc94
****s sake... Ukcat average for verbal reasoning is 557 this year and I applied with 510 screwed haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year the UKCAT av for VR was 580 and Plymouth had a cut-off of 550.
So it should deffo go down.
Do you have predicted grades or achieved btw?
Reply 98
Hi has the 2014 cut off been established ?? People seem to e mentioning curt off all of a sudden

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any internationals?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending