The Student Room Group

Self teaching a level? Help?! totally lost! :/

hnjkn
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
sorry to hear about all that...
firstly, my advice would be to look at the universities you wish to apply to; do some thorough research as to which unis academic entry requirements you fully satisfy already with regards to your gcses and then work towards ticking all the boxes for those unis. pick the right subjects at AS (chem & bio definitely and two other academic subjects) and then if you wish drop one and carry on with 3 ALs as most people do and you won't have that much time either.
self studying is hard as there is very little motivation but if you really want to do medicine it shouldn't be an issue. print of the specifications from the exam boards for each of your subjects and work through them with the relevant textbooks/revision guides. that way you'll cover everything (something some schools don't do) so you won't be at a disadvantage. if there are any concepts you don't understand look for a video on youtube about it or just google it. then just do every single past paper. and pick the right exam boards too as with some exam boards the assessment scheme is more challenging (i.e. don't pick aqa chemistry!). you'll just have to enter yourself for all the exams at your nearest educational centre.
good luck!:smile:
Are you looking to self-teach the same A levels?

I've self-taught a few subjects myself, and if you tell me the subjects and exam board, I can recommend some books. Don't feel overwhelmed though. I did when I first started as there was so much to learn, but remember you have a fair amount of time to learn the content. Also, if there are topics you don't understand, chances are myself or someone else here is able to help.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by IlyChem
sorry to hear about all that...
firstly, my advice would be to look at the universities you wish to apply to; do some thorough research as to which unis academic entry requirements you fully satisfy already with regards to your gcses and then work towards ticking all the boxes for those unis. pick the right subjects at AS (chem & bio definitely and two other academic subjects) and then if you wish drop one and carry on with 3 ALs as most people do and you won't have that much time either.
self studying is hard as there is very little motivation but if you really want to do medicine it shouldn't be an issue. print of the specifications from the exam boards for each of your subjects and work through them with the relevant textbooks/revision guides. that way you'll cover everything (something some schools don't do) so you won't be at a disadvantage. if there are any concepts you don't understand look for a video on youtube about it or just google it. then just do every single past paper. and pick the right exam boards too as with some exam boards the assessment scheme is more challenging (i.e. don't pick aqa chemistry!). you'll just have to enter yourself for all the exams at your nearest educational centre.
good luck!:smile:

Thank you for replying! Ahh what board would you recommend for chemistry an biology and psychology? For AS, I did all aqa so I'm not sure what other board is easier/better. I know it's going to take a Lott of self motivation to be able to get through this but hopefully I can just push myself forward by thinking if I really want to be filling shelves in a shop for the rest of my life! :/ just one issue though! I'm having a LOT of trouble trying to find centres that will take external students to sit their exams.. Especially for chemistry because of all the ISA's that need doing! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by anatomical frog
Are you looking to self-teach the same A levels?

I've self-taught a few subjects myself, and if you tell me the subjects and exam board, I can recommend some books. Don't feel overwhelmed though. I did when I first started as there was so much to learn, but remember you have a fair amount of time to learn the content. Also, if there are topics you don't understand, chances are myself or someone else here is able to help.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if necessary.

Hi! :smile:

Yes I'm looking to self teach biology, chemistry and psychology.. I don't want to take maths again and I think it might be too much to try and do 4 whilst working aswell? I will probably go part time or cut down my hours nearer exam time .. Did you self teach fully or did you go through like an online website? A few people have suggested doing it through distant learning? They provide you with study material? But it's about 350 per course for the whole year.. Do you think it's worth it? Or would I be able todo the same with textbooks and the Internet myself?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yalii19
Hi! :smile:

Yes I'm looking to self teach biology, chemistry and psychology.. I don't want to take maths again and I think it might be too much to try and do 4 whilst working aswell? I will probably go part time or cut down my hours nearer exam time .. Did you self teach fully or did you go through like an online website? A few people have suggested doing it through distant learning? They provide you with study material? But it's about 350 per course for the whole year.. Do you think it's worth it? Or would I be able todo the same with textbooks and the Internet myself?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm self teaching biology, but not the other two (although I'm doing chemistry with my school). I personally haven't used the Internet for the subjects I'm doing. I've just used the textbooks. But then again I don't know how you learn; chances are you'll get bored of the textbook. It depends on whether you can maintain your motivation.
Reply 6
Original post by anatomical frog
Well I'm self teaching biology, but not the other two (although I'm doing chemistry with my school). I personally haven't used the Internet for the subjects I'm doing. I've just used the textbooks. But then again I don't know how you learn; chances are you'll get bored of the textbook. It depends on whether you can maintain your motivation.

how are you finding bio? Ahh :erm::erm: thats true too :/ i guess i will just have to see how it goes and probably mix and match both :biggrin:
Original post by yalii19
how are you finding bio? Ahh :erm::erm: thats true too :/ i guess i will just have to see how it goes and probably mix and match both :biggrin:

I'm find bio quite easy, but to be fair I already learnt chemistry last year so it seems easier. For me, it's just learning the new names of the bonds!
Reply 8
Original post by yalii19
Thank you for replying! Ahh what board would you recommend for chemistry an biology and psychology? For AS, I did all aqa so I'm not sure what other board is easier/better. I know it's going to take a Lott of self motivation to be able to get through this but hopefully I can just push myself forward by thinking if I really want to be filling shelves in a shop for the rest of my life! :/ just one issue though! I'm having a LOT of trouble trying to find centres that will take external students to sit their exams.. Especially for chemistry because of all the ISA's that need doing! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have a clue for psychology, but for biology I recommend AQA (I heard the ISAs are much easier than the chem ones) or maybe WJEC (for OCR there is a lot of content to learn) and for chemistry WJEC or OCR (AQA chem ISAs screw everyone over). Just do some research and ask a few more people who are doing those boards. Yhh centres don't like taking external candidates sitting exams in their place as they don't trust you to do well...you just need to find a lenient centre no matter where or how bad it is.
Reply 9
Original post by yalii19
Hi everyone,

I am new to this so not sure if im posting this in the right place etc etc.. but basically this is my story..

I started doing the IB course at a sixth form college and i thought i wasnt doing so well but by the end of the first year, i was improving. i freaked out during the summer holidays (i was supposed to be doing the extended essay and the CAS) and about 2 weeks before i was due back to going to college, i dropped out and joined a different college for A-Levels. i so badly regret this decision!! i was advised against doing this by my tutors etc because it was a whole year gone to waste but i stupidly didnt listen and carried on anyway..

so, in my first year of a-levels, i got not so great grades for my subject ( i did psych, bio, chem, maths) and i came out with BBCC .. i had a lot of family issues going on throughout the first year of a levels and i know thats not a reason to flop alevels but it meant i had to stop going to college and im currently supporting myself working full time (im 19) no family etc.

im thinking of selfteaching a-levels .. BUT CANT SEEM TO START! I NEED HELP!! i have a few books from the library but not a great selection there can somebody please help me?? i want to do medicine.. i have the grades for it from gcse.. and i can get a letter from my college + social workers explaining why i havent been in education for a while.

i am not in a situation to be able to go to college.. literally cant afford to cos then i wouldnt be working full time and i seriously do not want to be living on benefits!

thanks to all for reading!

due to you paying to sit the exam, could I just ask how much you will be taking for the whole of AS biology as I am in the same situation of sitting the exam praivately

Quick Reply

Latest