The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x-Sophie-x
I looked at Bath and absolutely loved the city however the campus just wasn't lively enough.
Whereas I loved the University of Manchester area, but wasn't quite as thrilled by the general area. I'm not passing over a university due to this though- I'm definitely applying, and at the moment it looks like it will be my first choice if I'm accepted :biggrin:

Awesome :smile:

I'm from Bristol, which is pretty close to Bath, and I've never been to the uni (too close to home!) but the town is infested with tourists :sadnod: It's a good uni though, especially if you like extra-curricular sport, and I think it's quite good for engineering as well. Probably the biggest annoyance about the campus is that it's on the edge of Bath, so there's a bit of a trek every time you want to go elsewhere, whereas Manchester is on the outskirts of the city centre, which suits me much better.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm from Bristol, which is pretty close to Bath, and I've never been to the uni (too close to home!) but the town is infested with tourists :sadnod: It's a good uni though, especially if you like extra-curricular sport, and I think it's quite good for engineering as well. Probably the biggest annoyance about the campus is that it's on the edge of Bath, so there's a bit of a trek every time you want to go elsewhere, whereas Manchester is on the outskirts of the city centre, which suits me much better.

Damn those tourists! :frown: Yep, I'm hoping to do Chemical Engineering which I've heard it's pretty good for.

I'm guessing you lived in halls first year? Do you mind me asking where you stayed? Yesterday I visited the accommodation in Fallowfield because that was the only thing up for viewing. Do you have any idea what people's thoughts are on the City halls? I'm not sure I can be bothered with the travelling every morning (I'm lazy I know! :tongue: ) and there doesn't seem to be a massive difference in price anyway :smile:

What's sport like at Manchester? :h: I didn't even think to look at that yesterday!

Sorry for all the questions btw!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
hello, which year of entry are you applying for. am applying for 2014/15 in msc. petroleum geoscience for reservoir development. good to know you also applying for a petroleum course.
Original post by Ganesh Pramod
Applying for Petroleum Engineering! Always wanted to go here
Loooads of info on accommodation here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577 I was in Oak House :yep: City halls seem to be a bit like marmite - some people enjoy them, others complain that they're too quiet. Transport from Fallowfield is great though - it's the busiest bus route in Europe.

There are 43 sports clubs at Manchester, plus three uni owned sports centres (Armitage, Sugden, Aquatics) so you'll be well provided for www.sport.manchester.ac.uk/athletic-union

I like questions :yes:
Reply 44
I've applied for History and Politics, the uni looks amazing for pretty much everything
Reply 45
Has anyone got an offer yet? Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?
I am applying for Law M100, I believe entry is AAA, I got AAAAA* at AS and am predicted A*AAA.
Good luck guys!
Where else have you all applied? :smile:
Manchester is the best city in Britain as far as I'm concerned, and for students and student life it's even further ahead. The University has a great reputation, even so for my area (politics) but...it's not in my top 2.

I'm a Mancunian and I kind of feel like I wouldn't get the full Uni experience staying so close to home, and it'd be nice to discover a new City.

Still, it's definitely one of my five!
Reply 47
Original post by gs1996
Has anyone got an offer yet? Does anyone know how long they usually take to get back to you?
I am applying for Law M100, I believe entry is AAA, I got AAAAA* at AS and am predicted A*AAA.
Good luck guys!
Where else have you all applied? :smile:

Hi :-) nice to see a fellow Law M100 applicant :-) i am predicted A*A*A for my A levels xx Have you sent off your ucas application as of yet? I have also applied for Exeter( Law with European study - 4yrs) UoM (law with criminology) Manchester Metrolpolitan Uni(law) Lancaster Uni (law) :-) im sending my application off by next friday..so excited nd nervous!!! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone we else applying for biomedical science? :smile:
Original post by marko19
hello, which year of entry are you applying for. am applying for 2014/15 in msc. petroleum geoscience for reservoir development. good to know you also applying for a petroleum course.

Same here! Busy with A-Levels at the moment. If I don't make it in 2014 due to National service, I'll try for 2015
Reply 50
Original post by Ganesh Pramod
Same here! Busy with A-Levels at the moment. If I don't make it in 2014 due to National service, I'll try for 2015

all the best then. am just left with getting some requirements like referees and the referee form all filled then i send my application online though i don't know how long UoM will take to respond??
Reply 51
Just got my invitation to interview for F305 Physics in the post, on the 7th of November :smile:

Does anyone know how long (roughly) they take to make their decision after interview?

Thanks!
Original post by marko19
all the best then. am just left with getting some requirements like referees and the referee form all filled then i send my application online though i don't know how long UoM will take to respond??

It varies by department, and whether you're a definite yes / no or a maybe.

Original post by alow
Just got my invitation to interview for F305 Physics in the post, on the 7th of November :smile:

Does anyone know how long (roughly) they take to make their decision after interview?

Thanks!

I believe that they only invite those to interview for physics who they are almost certain that they're going to make an offer to, so you can feel quite hopeful :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by alow

Thanks!

Congratulations! When did you apply? I've sent my application yesterday for the same course but didn't even receive a welcome email yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Original post by Origami Bullets
It varies by department, and whether you're a definite yes / no or a maybe.

I believe that they only invite those to interview for physics who they are almost certain that they're going to make an offer to, so you can feel quite hopeful :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that sounds great :smile:

Original post by IlariaM
Congratulations! When did you apply? I've sent my application yesterday for the same course but didn't even receive a welcome email yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent my application on the 8th of October. I never got a welcome email, just a letter in the post this morning which is why I was so surprised!
Original post by alow

Thanks!

Really? Do you mind me when you sent your application off? Its just I'm applying for the exact same course, and I'm really impatient! :tongue:

EDIT: Sorry, just seen you've already answered that! I would wish you luck, but not if we're in direct competition... :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by King Hotpie
Really? Do you mind me when you sent your application off? Its just I'm applying for the exact same course, and I'm really impatient! :tongue:

EDIT: Sorry, just seen you've already answered that! I would wish you luck, but not if we're in direct competition... :wink:

I've already got my A Levels though so that might be why it's a bit early?

Well we both might get an offer!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by alow

Maybe, either that or you're just an epic applicant :tongue:. Lets hope so, maybe we'll be seeing each other this time next year! Is Manchester your first choice?
Original post by alow

Hahahahahaha I don't believe this! My Dads just come upstairs and told me a letter came whilst I was at work tomorrow! Open it up, and I've been invited to an interview on the exact same day! We'll probably see each other! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 59
Maybe, either that or you're just an epic applicant :tongue:. Lets hope so, maybe we'll be seeing each other this time next year! Is Manchester your first choice?

It probably will be as I doubt I'll get an offer from Cambridge (and I'm not sure I really want to do Natural Sciences anyway) is it yours?

Hahahahahaha I don't believe this! My Dads just come upstairs and told me a letter came whilst I was at work tomorrow! Open it up, and I've been invited to an interview on the exact same day! We'll probably see each other! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congrats! Yeah I'm sure we will! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending