The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Hi there! Maths applicant here, also applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Bath and St. Andrews.
I'm not sure which ones I'd choose/reject yet - after Cambridge, the other unis appear to be more prestigious and highly regarded with people, but Manchester might be where I would enjoy myself the most.

Either way, anyone else applying for maths? And have you heard back from them yet? I didn't expect they would invite people to interviews via post - I'll be looking out for letters now! :biggrin:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Got my invitation for interview for F3FA Physics with astrophysics on the 29th of October. Anyone else have an interview then? :biggrin:
Original post by alow
It probably will be as I doubt I'll get an offer from Cambridge (and I'm not sure I really want to do Natural Sciences anyway) is it yours?

Congrats! Yeah I'm sure we will! :smile:

Cambridge is my first choice as well, but I don't think I'll get an offer from there either. After Cambridge I'm debating between Manchester and Durham.
Reply 63
Original post by aliakhan
Hi :-) nice to see a fellow Law M100 applicant :-) i am predicted A*A*A for my A levels xx Have you sent off your ucas application as of yet? I have also applied for Exeter( Law with European study - 4yrs) UoM (law with criminology) Manchester Metrolpolitan Uni(law) Lancaster Uni (law) :-) im sending my application off by next friday..so excited nd nervous!!! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello! I am thinking Bristol and King's, then Liverpool as my low one. I sent mine off on Thursday evening- let me know when you get a letter! :smile:
Only applied for Manchester and Oxford so far though.
Reply 64
Original post by King Hotpie
Cambridge is my first choice as well, but I don't think I'll get an offer from there either. After Cambridge I'm debating between Manchester and Durham.

They're the two that I'm deciding between too :smile:
Original post by alow
They're the two that I'm deciding between too :smile:

3/5 then! I don't suppose you've applied for St Andrews as well? Are you applying for integrated masters at all of them?
Reply 66
Original post by gs1996
Hello! I am thinking Bristol and King's, then Liverpool as my low one. I sent mine off on Thursday evening- let me know when you get a letter! :smile:
Only applied for Manchester and Oxford so far though.

Hi XD i will definetly let you know when i get my letter or even an email likewise i hope you let me know too!!

Oh, i was also thinking of applying to Kings but when i emailed the admissions people and they told me that the accomadation isnt guaranted and i have to do the LNATs i realised that i probably wont get an offer from them. Ahh well, i guess everything happens for a reason though? I would still be super excited if i got an offer from UoM !! XD :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
3/5 then! I don't suppose you've applied for St Andrews as well? Are you applying for integrated masters at all of them?

Nope, Imperial and Warwick are my other two choices :smile:

Yeah I have, have you?
Original post by alow
Nope, Imperial and Warwick are my other two choices :smile:

Yeah I have, have you?

Yeah, I want to go into research afterwards so it seemed like the best option rather than having to apply for a postgraduate masters afterwards :smile:
Reply 69
Yeah, I want to go into research afterwards so it seemed like the best option rather than having to apply for a postgraduate masters afterwards :smile:

Yeah, same for me. It just saves a load of hassle doing postgrad applications :smile:

Just wondering, what are you going to wear to interview at Manchester, as there wasn't a dress code in the letter? I really don't want to turn up and be the only one not in a suit :L
Original post by alow
Yeah, same for me. It just saves a load of hassle doing postgrad applications :smile:

Just wondering, what are you going to wear to interview at Manchester, as there wasn't a dress code in the letter? I really don't want to turn up and be the only one not in a suit :L

I don't know really :s-smilie:. At the moment I'm thinking reasonably smart chinos and a polo shirt, but I'm not sure.
Reply 71
I don't know really :s-smilie:. At the moment I'm thinking reasonably smart chinos and a polo shirt, but I'm not sure.

Yeah I was thinking chinos and a shirt, I just really hate wearing suits haha
Original post by alow
Yeah I was thinking chinos and a shirt, I just really hate wearing suits haha

haha, I actually quite like wearing suits, but only because I very rarely have any need to and it makes me feel s****y :tongue:. I don't think it would really be the best thing to wear though, especially not with the tours and wotnot which we'll be going on. I'll probabl see what my head of sixth form says though, she has quite a lot of experience with uni interviews, and gives a lot of support for it, to the extent where the entire sixth form got an in-depth tutorial on how to shake hands with the interviewer the other week!
Reply 73
haha, I actually quite like wearing suits, but only because I very rarely have any need to and it makes me feel s****y :tongue:. I don't think it would really be the best thing to wear though, especially not with the tours and wotnot which we'll be going on. I'll probabl see what my head of sixth form says though, she has quite a lot of experience with uni interviews, and gives a lot of support for it, to the extent where the entire sixth form got an in-depth tutorial on how to shake hands with the interviewer the other week!

I just find them really uncomfortable :s-smilie: Yeah walking around the uni would be better in something smart-casual would be better I think.

I've left college now so I haven't got anyone to ask about stuff like that, noone checked my PS either.

Isn't it just when you shake hands with them don't squeeze so hard that you hurt them? I haven't really thought about that before...
Original post by alow
I just find them really uncomfortable :s-smilie: Yeah walking around the uni would be better in something smart-casual would be better I think.

I've left college now so I haven't got anyone to ask about stuff like that, noone checked my PS either.

Isn't it just when you shake hands with them don't squeeze so hard that you hurt them? I haven't really thought about that before...

You'd have thought so wouldn't you? There's a technique to it apparently, but damned if I can remember it. According to her, mine is too weak :frown:
Reply 75
You'd have thought so wouldn't you? There's a technique to it apparently, but damned if I can remember it. According to her, mine is too weak :frown:

I really don't think the interviewers will be too bothered about handshakes anyway tbh...
Hey! I applied for Psychology. Is anyone else applying for Psycho?

EDIT: Just got my offer for Manchester!!!! So happy! Hopefully I get the grades.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
The BEconSc (L102) is my 1st choice atm, anyone else looking at it? Which halls are people considering?

Edit: Just been reading about people receiving offers/ interviews already- so basically the reply within a few days of your offer? My sixth-form college have set an internal ucas deadline of 14/11, but we won't be sending off our forms for at least a couple of weeks after that. Does that mean (if successful) I could receive an offer around December?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by danlocke
The BEconSc (L102) is my 1st choice atm, anyone else looking at it? Which halls are people considering?

Edit: Just been reading about people receiving offers/ interviews already- so basically the reply within a few days of your offer? My sixth-form college have set an internal ucas deadline of 14/11, but we won't be sending off our forms for at least a couple of weeks after that. Does that mean (if successful) I could receive an offer around December?

Lots of info and discussion on halls here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

How fast you receive a decision will depend on the department, and whether you fall into the definite yes, define no or maybe category, so there's no specific time really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by Origami Bullets
Lots of info and discussion on halls here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

How fast you receive a decision will depend on the department, and whether you fall into the definite yes, define no or maybe category, so there's no specific time really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok thanks. How much of a difference do you think the timing of my application will make to my chances of getting an offer? i.e will I be in a worse position to someone who has already submitted their application if I don't submit mine for another few weeks?

Quick Reply

Latest