The Student Room Group

Differentiation

Heya, could somebody check this question
Find the coordinates of the maximum and minimum point on the curve y=x^2(5-x)^3, I got (5,0) and (2, 108) the 108 makes me think im completely wrong.
Also, this question says show that d/dx = something, but what does d/dx mean?
and if I had to sketch a graph of y=(x-1)^2, would it only cross the x axis at 1 and nowhere else?
sorry for all the questions, haha
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jacksonmeg
Find the coordinates of the maximum and minimum point on the curve y=x^2(5-x)^3, I got (5,0) and (2, 108) the 108 makes me think im completely wrong.
and if I had to sketch a graph of y=(x-1)^2, would it only cross the x axis at 1 and nowhere else?

d/dx means differentiate with respect to x what follows.

d/dx of 2x is 2.

Is that x to the power of 2(5-x), or x^2 multiplied by (5-x)?
Reply 2
Original post by Liamnut
d/dx means differentiate with respect to x what follows.

d/dx of 2x is 2.

Is that x to the power of 2(5-x), or x^2 multiplied by (5-x)?

x^2 multiplied by (5-x)^3

If you mean y=x2(5x)3y=x^2 (5-x)^3 then there are actually 3 stationary points, one of which is a point of inflection.

Stationary points occur where there is 0 gradient i.e. dydx=0\frac{dy}{dx} = 0

Could you show us your working?
Reply 4
Original post by Khallil
If you mean y=x2(5x)3y=x^2 (5-x)^3 then there are actually 3 stationary points, one of which is a point of inflection.

Stationary points occur where there is 0 gradient i.e. dydx=0\frac{dy}{dx} = 0

Could you show us your working?

u= x^2 v = (5-x)^3

du/dx = 2x dv/dx = -3(5-x)^2

-3x^2(5-x)^2 + 2x(5-x)^3
x(5-x)^2(-5x+10) = 0
5-x = 0, x = 5, y = 0
-5x+10 = 0, x = 2, y = 108
u= x^2 v = (5-x)^3

du/dx = 2x dv/dx = -3(5-x)^2

-3x^2(5-x)^2 + 2x(5-x)^3
x(5-x)^2(-5x+10) = 0
5-x = 0, x = 5, y = 0
-5x+10 = 0, x = 2, y = 108

You seem to be forgetting x=0x=0 :wink:

To verify that each of these points are maxima, minima or points of inflection, you need to evaluate the second derivative of the function with respect to xx.
Reply 6
Original post by Khallil
You seem to be forgetting x=0x=0 :wink:

To verify that each of these points are maxima, minima or points of inflection, you need to evaluate the second derivative of the function with respect to xx.

oh yeah.... -idiot- thanks, the rest is ok though?
Reply 7

yes

Yep!
Reply 9
Original post by Khallil
Yep!

for the second differentiation, would u = x(5-x)^2 and v = -5x+10 ?
Reply 10
Original post by Khallil
Yep!

im getting 0, 0 and -90, are the 2 0s the turning points?
(edited 10 years ago)

Think it's a bit easier to do u= (5-x)^2 v = -5x^2+10x. Then you don't end up using the product rule twice.

Yep! You could even do the product rule with three terms, where ff, gg and hh and functions of xx:

ddx(fgh)=fgh+fgh+fgh\dfrac{d}{dx} \left( fgh \right) = f'gh + fg'h + fgh'

im getting 0 and -90 so i cant of done it right

If those are values of the second derivative, I got the same values. However, you're missing out the second derivative evaluated at x=0x=0
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Khallil
Yep! You could even do the product rule with three terms, where ff, gg and hh and functions of xx:

ddx(fgh)=fgh+fgh+fgh\dfrac{d}{dx} \left( fgh \right) = f'gh + fg'h + fgh'

If those are values of the second derivative, I got the same values. However, you're missing out the second derivative evaluated at x=0x=0

yeah I just put 0 in and also got 0, so how would you differentiate between max and min? plot a graph?
yeah I just put 0 in and also got 0, so how would you differentiate between max and min? plot a graph?

What did you get for d2ydx2 ?\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} \ ?
Reply 15
Original post by Khallil
What did you get for d2ydx2 ?\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} \ ?

-5x(5-x)^2 -2x(5-x)(-5x+10)
-5x(5-x)^2 -2x(5-x)(-5x+10)

Try this as it may be simpler. Your first derivative is correct, so you probably made an error when trying to find the second derivative.

dydx=x(5x)2(5x+10)=5x(5x)2(2x)=5(5x)2(2xx2)\begin{aligned} \dfrac{dy}{dx} & = x(5-x)^2(-5x+10) \\ & = 5x(5-x)^2(2-x) \\ & = 5(5-x)^2(2x-x^2) \end{aligned}

Now find d2ydx2\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} by letting u=(5x)2u=(5-x)^2 and letting v=(2xx2)v=(2x-x^2)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Khallil
Try this as it may be simpler. Your first derivative is correct, so you probably made an error when trying to find the second derivative.

dydx=x(5x)2(5x+10)=5x(5x)2(2x)=5(5x)2(2xx2)\begin{aligned} \dfrac{dy}{dx} & = x(5-x)^2(-5x+10) \\ & = 5x(5-x)^2(2-x) \\ & = 5(5-x)^2(2x-x^2) \end{aligned}

Now find d2ydx2\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} by letting u=(5x)2u=(5-x)^2 and letting v=(2xx2)v=(2x-x^2)

5(5-x)^2(2-2x) - 10(5-x)(2x-x^2) ?
5(5-x)^2(2-2x) - 10(5-x)(2x-x^2) ?

Yep!

To make everything neater, it usually helps to factorise out any terms that are common:

d2ydx2=10(5x)(2x28x+5)\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 10(5-x)(2x^2 - 8x + 5)

Have you heard of the second derivative test to determine the nature of stationary points?
Reply 19
Original post by Khallil
Yep!

To make everything neater, it usually helps to factorise out any terms that are common:

d2ydx2=10(5x)(2x28x+5)\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} = 10(5-x)(2x^2 - 8x + 5)

Have you heard of the second derivative test to determine the nature of stationary points?

dont you put in the x values and the positive one is minimum, negative is max? I figured it didnt matter about simplifying since you just need to put in x values, and i usually go wrong anyway. lol

Quick Reply

Latest