The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
Original post by NedStark
I'd say play it safe and give both. It's what I'd do in your situation.

Yes, I'm applying to UCL but for Econ+Stats for two reasons. Mainly, the UCL course isn't as mathematical as I'd like it to be and secondly, the grade requirements are lower.

Hmm, yeah I guess you're right. Good luck with your application :smile:
That's new, didn't know they did that. Maybe its because you didn't show your module grades so they're asking for them? But that doesn't explain the UMS scores.

yeah same never realised UCL ask for module scores. ah well they get the pleasure of seeing straight A modules with one module being a big ****ing C , gonna stick out like a sore thumb :mad:
I'd say play it safe and give both. It's what I'd do in your situation.

Yes, I'm applying to UCL but for Econ+Stats for two reasons. Mainly, the UCL course isn't as mathematical as I'd like it to be and secondly, the grade requirements are lower.

So you'd compromise on learning more economics to take additional stats modules?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
So you'd compromise on learning more economics to take additional stats modules?

Stats is fun :teeth:
Original post by Fas
yeah same never realised UCL ask for module scores. ah well they get the pleasure of seeing straight A modules with one module being a big ****ing C , gonna stick out like a sore thumb :mad:

I wouldn't worry. As long as you're on track to achieve A* (Maths) AA or more with your UMS, you have a very good chance of an offer. One C isn't too bad. I know people with far worse grades who got offers from UCL (multiple Cs and similar).

By target, what do you mean?

So would they ask everyone or just the selected ones?

I'm not sure, I would have thought they'd ask most people this year. I didn't hear of anyone last year, so it's either a yes or no I think.
Original post by JOR2010
I wouldn't worry. As long as you're on track to achieve A* (Maths) AA or more with your UMS, you have a very good chance of an offer. One C isn't too bad. I know people with far worse grades who got offers from UCL (multiple Cs and similar).

I'm not sure, I would have thought they'd ask most people this year. I didn't hear of anyone last year, so it's either a yes or no I think.

Ahh thats good to hear ! iIve been predicted A*A*AA ( Maths, General Studies , History and Economics ) - although i gather Gen studies won't count for much :tongue: ( btw i got 2A's and 2B's at AS - the C was in a module where the other i scored high 90's , it wasn't an overall AS score )

do they really give out offers like that ? the Which? university guide reckons only 28% of applicants receive an offer so hopefully your right ! :smile:
Exeter University looks quite nice. They ask for AAB - A*AA. I am predicted AAB. Do you think it's worth an application.
Original post by Fas
Ahh thats good to hear ! iIve been predicted A*A*AA ( Maths, General Studies , History and Economics ) - although i gather Gen studies won't count for much :tongue: ( btw i got 2A's and 2B's at AS - the C was in a module where the other i scored high 90's , it wasn't an overall AS score )

do they really give out offers like that ? the Which? university guide reckons only 28% of applicants receive an offer so hopefully your right ! :smile:

Well I know someone with an offer who had AABBC, and only predicted A*AA. Make of that what you will!
Original post by JOR2010
Well I know someone with an offer who had AABBC, and only predicted A*AA. Make of that what you will!

for BSc Economics ?!? woah thats awesome !

wait did he have any extenuating circumstances ?
Original post by Fas
for BSc Economics ?!? woah thats awesome !

Never give up hope! I always thought I was doomed when I got a B in Markets in Action...
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

I like stats so it's not much of a compromise and if anything, it should complement the economics side. Don't get me wrong, I do like Economics but I'm really mathematical, hence why I was going to apply for a maths degree but I changed my mind around Jan/Feb to Economics. Though I always considered a joint degree with Maths and Economics but that'd mean mechanics modules which I like but not enough to study it further than A-Level. That all leads to Econ+Stats!

Original post by Alex-Torres
Exeter University looks quite nice. They ask for AAB - A*AA. I am predicted AAB. Do you think it's worth an application.

I'd email them but admissions department take their time to reply to emails so first try call them. Then just ask for clarification on their requirements. Some universities give a range of grades since their lower grades are for students with extenuating circumstances. Better safe than sorry!

Original post by Fas

I wouldn't worry too much about the C. I mean not everyone is applying with straight A's so there's a chance. Even if they reject you, with AABB you'll get into your other choices so it's very unlikely you won't get into a top university for Econ.
(edited 10 years ago)
I like stats so it's not much of a compromise and if anything, it should complement the economics side. Don't get me wrong, I do like Economics but I'm really mathematical, hence why I was going to apply for a maths degree but I changed my mind around Jan/Feb to Economics. Though I always considered a joint degree with Maths and Economics but that'd mean mechanics modules which I like but enough to study it further than A-Level. That all leads to Econ+Stats!

I'd email them but admissions department take their time to reply to emails so first try call them. Then just ask for clarification on their requirements. Some universities give a range of grades since their lower grades are for students with extenuating circumstances. Better safe than sorry!

I wouldn't worry too much about the C. I mean not everyone is applying with straight A's so there's a chance. Even if they reject you, with AABB you'll get into your other choices so it's very unlikely you won't get into a top university for Econ.

I was in the same dilemma but I chose MORSE instead (Warwick and Southampton) which is basically econ and stats and is more catered towards finance and for my other choices its Maths & econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like stats so it's not much of a compromise and if anything, it should complement the economics side. Don't get me wrong, I do like Economics but I'm really mathematical, hence why I was going to apply for a maths degree but I changed my mind around Jan/Feb to Economics. Though I always considered a joint degree with Maths and Economics but that'd mean mechanics modules which I like but not enough to study it further than A-Level. That all leads to Econ+Stats!

yeah i hope so, managed to convince my parents to let me apply to Durham instead of Warwick so that's good.

sent the form off to my referee...... nervous as heeeeellll
Reply 1433
Been a long time since I've posted! I am a prospective econ student applying to warwick, UCL, notts and bham. Just sent my UCAS form off today! is it true what people have been saying about UCL requiring individual UMS scores through post?
Anyone else here applying to Oxford for Economics and Management?
Course is so competitive and the aptitude of most the applicants seems to be high, wondering what others grades are like and what things you've done that could help your application :smile:

AS I achieved:
Maths (A)90% Economics (A)85% Physics (A)91% Chemistry (A)90%

Predicted A2:
Maths (A*) Economics (A*) Physics (A*)

Extras for myself are:
Completing EPQ this year, predicted at grade A.
Gained experience in finance with high preforming subway franchise in Los Angeles and further placements in financial management and business analysis for a Foreign Exchange Firm
Competed at City finals and Regional stages in athletics and table tennis while also taking into consideration Youth Olympics for Swimming (although gave up the demanding nature for a balanced life)
Self taught to play piano by memorisation, love the instrument too much Aha

Although this coupled with what I think is a strong personal statement can't help to feel my chances are low cause of my gcse results: 4A*'s 4A's 1B 1C
That's why I'm curious to see how good other applicants are,to understand what I'm competing with. Want an education from Oxford more than anything in the world so studying a lot of TSA aswell :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. I just wonder how important are AS grades and Predictions in forming uni decisions? I know there can't be an accurate percentage ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by runjennyrun17
Hey guys. I just wonder how important are AS grades and Predictions in forming uni decisions? I know there can't be an accurate percentage ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS grades are probably most important
Original post by Lunch_Box
AS grades are probably most important

I see... Cuz my friend told me that if you got really high grades and high predictions unis will send you offers without caring too much about your ps...:frown: don't know.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also applying for E&M. My GCSE's are a bit better than yours, but my A2 predictions are a bit worse than yours. The course is very competitive so don't have your heart set on Oxford since it's likely you'll be rejected (just going off of general admissions statistics).

That being said, if you do well in the TSA with a score in the high 60's or above you should get an interview (Keble interviewed everyone with a score above 68 in 2012) and who knows maybe you (or myself) may get lucky and get in...
Original post by runjennyrun17
I see... Cuz my friend told me that if you got really high grades and high predictions unis will send you offers without caring too much about your ps...:frown: don't know.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could have perfect grades and predictions, but if your personal statement is awful it's unlikely they'll just hand you an offer for having great grades. I spoke to a Bristol admissions tutor for a while on the open day about bad PS' and he gave the example of someone who they rejected for writing a racist personal statement (despite having been predicted 3 A*'s)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending