The Student Room Group

Do you believe that every human life holds equal value?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mojojojo101
I think it depends on how you define value and it's a dangerous place you wander into when you start arbitrarily setting boundaries about who and who isn't 'worthy' or 'deserving' of life.

If you were to think about people who have furthered the human races progression through the ages (WARNING: controversial opinion incoming) then you could argue that people such as Hitler/Mao/etc did more to further the cause of human existence than, me for instance. While these people may not have been popular, or set out to do good you could evaluate the overall effect on humanity as more meaningful than, say me, who has achieved nothing and changed nothing about the world at all.

I suppose Hitler's actions did bring more awareness to the monstrosity of racism. And Mao helped unify a warring nation, which today is growing into the modern world. Interesting thing to point out.
Despite what rhetoric people espouse on this thread about all human life being equal - what people practise in their daily life will be completely different. It is a shame yes, but people are only interested in their own well-being.
Reply 42
abso****inglutely. And, I am outraged about the fact that Obama cried only when his home was attacked. 55,000 children killed by US drone attacks. Shouldn't he have cried for them?!
Reply 43
Due to circumstances originating from WW2 I would not exist today if it wasn't for Adolf Hitler - I also suspect a great many of us on this forum wouldn't either.
Reply 44
Original post by Caedus
Due to circumstances originating from WW2 I would not exist today if it wasn't for Adolf Hitler - I also suspect a great many of us on this forum wouldn't either.

can you explain this statement for me please?
Original post by Freier._.lance
Despite what rhetoric people espouse on this thread about all human life being equal - what people practise in their daily life will be completely different. It is a shame yes, but people are only interested in their own well-being.

Maybe we should be working to tackle peoples greed and selfishness rather than just throwing our hands in the air and accepting that we can't change it.
Reply 46
I'm not a radical egalitarian, but I do believe that is the way we ought to think, though it might not be reality that everyone is equal, seeing them differently creates division and a sense of superiority and inferiority.
Reply 47
Original post by arminb
abso****inglutely. And, I am outraged about the fact that Obama cried only when his home was attacked. 55,000 children killed by US drone attacks. Shouldn't he have cried for them?!

My thoughts exactly, same could be said for the Boston Bombings, it's terrible people did die, but one the same day 33 people died in Iraq. Just cause it's a common thing in Iraq doesn't mean it's different.
That being said, I have to pessimistically say the world has always been like this. Nothing will change unless, we get rid of concepts such as nationalism, social, political and religious collectivism. Basically a revolution of values, but it'll never happen...
Original post by mojojojo101
Maybe we should be working to tackle peoples greed and selfishness rather than just throwing our hands in the air and accepting that we can't change it.

Please don't take the following as being aimed at you.

But, after saying this^^ on this thread what will you seriously do after leaving it? Apathy is probably the biggest killer. My actual point was to say that we don't care about people who die by our hands in a foreign land, no matter how high that number rises.
Original post by Sazh
My thoughts exactly, same could be said for the Boston Bombings, it's terrible people did die, but one the same day 33 people died in Iraq. Just cause it's a common thing in Iraq doesn't mean it's different.
That being said, I have to pessimistically say the world has always been like this. Nothing will change unless, we get rid of concepts such as nationalism, social, political and religious collectivism. Basically a revolution of values, but it'll never happen...

Fantastic post, this is precisely how I feel.
Original post by yourchinadoll
Not really. Some people bring good, some bring bad, and some bring nothing at all. I couldn't tell ya who's who, but there are obvious examples Ghandi>Hitler.

Funny you should mention that; Gandhi was a fan of Hitler.
Reply 51
Original post by felamaslen
Funny you should mention that; Gandhi was a fan of Hitler.

is there any evidence for your ****ty statement?
Original post by arminb
is there any evidence for your ****ty statement?

Here's a quote:

I do not want to see the allies defeated. But I do not consider Hitler to be as bad as he is depicted. He is showing an ability that is amazing and seems to be gaining his victories without much bloodshed. Englishmen are showing the strength that Empire builders must have. I expect them to rise much higher than they seem to be doing.

That can only be taken to mean he was a fan of Hitler, given that Hitler was the fourth most evil man to ever walk this Earth (after Joseph Stalin, Mao Tse Tung and Vlad Dracula).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Sazh

you expresses my beliefs in a couple of sentences.You are awesome wo/man. i gather to believe it wont happen because of the human nature: we,including me, have this tendency to need to have people who we feel are inferior to us and that on its own ****s up the whole humanity , wars and imprisonments and censorship and detention and executions and genocide and oil ,etc... these are all examples of what may happen when we consider that some are of less value than us.
Reply 54
Original post by arminb
can you explain this statement for me please?

It's rather simple: if WW2 didn't occur my Polish grandfather would never have met my Scottish grandmother and as such, my father wouldn never have ever existed.

Obviously everything is contingent but for better or for worse (rapid advancement in technology/ horrendous death rate etc. etc.) the war changed a lot of things.

Hitler may have been an evil bastard but his life held value.
Reply 55
No, not being religious I don't believe everyone is made equal in God's image or anything.

Clearly a human being born with two heads is worth more than one born with one which is worth more than a human being born with no head at all. And all these three things are possible and often occur.
no mines worth the most
Reply 57
Original post by Kiss
Hitler was ruthlessly efficient in rearranging a country that had previously been brought to its knees by overtaxing and the effects of the great depression, he restructured the economy well and had a good health initiative for his citizens. On top of that he served in WW1 and was very intelligent, as well as great at delivering public speeches. How is he any worse than someone who simply had 'good morals'? If we're looking at this from a utility perspective, Hitler is worth far more than your average joe. He might not have been very nice but he certainly achieved more than somebody with 'good morals', like it or not.

This is all correct, sometimes you forget his achievements when you focus on the bad stuff he done haha. Yes that is true and I do agree he was quite valuable but this is what I'm trying to put across. People like these who actually accomplish things are imo far more valuable than others.
Reply 58
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Depends who you ask.

My husband is obese. Not from a medical condition, just through eating too much. Now he's working hard to rectify this and has lost 10 stone so far, but still, he's obese.

Ignorant, above me, would therefore try to say that Einstein's life is of greater value than my husbands. Well maybe to him, yes, but to me, my children, and my in-laws, my husband's life is of far greater value than even Einstein.

Likewise I could argue that Einstein's life is of greater value than Ignorant's mother. However I'm sure Ignorant would disagree.

Your loved ones are always going to be of the greatest value to you, even if they are just ordinary people. Therefore it's entirely subjective.

Yeah if you're speaking strictly from your perspective then i'd agree with you. However objectively speaking Einsteins life was of more value than my mother..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending