The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2014

With the Oxbridge deadline 8 days away this is a little late I know but there's no dedicated page.

Anyway give us your universities, course (e.g. linguistics + Japanese) and whatever other info you desire.

I'm applying to the following for sole linguistics:

Cambridge
UCL
Edinburgh
Lancaster
SOAS

And my subjects at school are Maths, English, French and German.

I was thinking about York, Sheffield, QMUL and Manchester as well but these are probably my final five. Any thoughts on the unis in particular?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

I'm applying to

Cambridge
UCL
Edinburgh
York
Lancaster

All for straight linguistics :smile:

My A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Latin and German
Reply 2
I was wondering when someone was going to make this thread!

So I'm applying to:

Cambridge
UCL
SOAS
Edinburgh
Leeds

Applied for Linguistics at Cam and UCL and Chinese and Linguistics at the others.

We're all applying to pretty similar places lol. I did have York down to do Linguistics and Maths but my friends kind of put me off the city.

My A levels are Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Some of the places I could apply to were a bit restricted because I don't have a languages or English lang A levels, like KCL, Manchester etc.

Have you applied for the international programme at UCL or just the 3 year course? I thought I might as well, would be nice to have a year away!
Reply 3
Original post by gearoid94
I was wondering when someone was going to make this thread!

So I'm applying to:

Cambridge
UCL
SOAS
Edinburgh
Leeds

Applied for Linguistics at Cam and UCL and Chinese and Linguistics at the others.

We're all applying to pretty similar places lol. I did have York down to do Linguistics and Maths but my friends kind of put me off the city.

My A levels are Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Some of the places I could apply to were a bit restricted because I don't have a languages or English lang A levels, like KCL, Manchester etc.

Have you applied for the international programme at UCL or just the 3 year course? I thought I might as well, would be nice to have a year away!

Yes between us we're only applying to seven universities! For UCL I put down Q100 (3 year course) after emailing an admissions tutor who told me that students decide early in their second year and have to get an average mark of 60 or above (whatever that means) to go abroad. I'd love to go to North America they offer MacGill, UMass Amherst and Arizona as well as some European ones.

Anyway got UCAS sent off a couple of days ago, going to start the SAQ (quite) soon. Anybody know when we get invitations to interview?
Reply 4
Original post by lamp-y
Yes between us we're only applying to seven universities! For UCL I put down Q100 (3 year course) after emailing an admissions tutor who told me that students decide early in their second year and have to get an average mark of 60 or above (whatever that means) to go abroad. I'd love to go to North America they offer MacGill, UMass Amherst and Arizona as well as some European ones.

Anyway got UCAS sent off a couple of days ago, going to start the SAQ (quite) soon. Anybody know when we get invitations to interview?

Ahh ok, so it doesn't really matter which you apply for then? An average of 60 would just be a 2.i. I saw they had one in Venice which would be amazing. Imagine studying in Venice for a year!! omg
Reply 5
Yo,
I'm applying to the following universities for either English Language and Linguistics or straight Linguistics.
These are my choices:
UCL, Sheffield, York, Lancaster, Queen Mary's.

I'm currently on my gap year, and I'm applying with my grades. I'm sending off my application soon, waiting on references.
I studied English Language, French, and Art for A-level. Exciting stuff here haha
Reply 6
Original post by Lavedog
Yo,
I'm applying to the following universities for either English Language and Linguistics or straight Linguistics.
These are my choices:
UCL, Sheffield, York, Lancaster, Queen Mary's.

I'm currently on my gap year, and I'm applying with my grades. I'm sending off my application soon, waiting on references.
I studied English Language, French, and Art for A-level. Exciting stuff here haha

Doing anything exciting on your gap year?
Reply 7
My application isn't being sent off till monday - not sure why though, as reference is written and everything ready to go! :smile: I applied to the 3 year course at UCL but would definitely consider a year abroad!
Reply 8
I'm applying for English Language and Linguistics. I've applied to York, Leeds, Westminster, Huddersfield and Manchester Met. I do double Health and social, English lang, English Lit
Reply 9
I'm currently deciding whether to apply for a sole English Language degree or an English Language and Linguistics degree. I don't really have much experience in linguistics, but I do find it really interesting. Also, would a D in GCSE Spanish hinder my application if I applied for an English Language and Linguistics degree? I'm not taking the subject at post-GCSE level, by the way.
Reply 10
Doing anything exciting on your gap year?

Erm, I have a 6 month placement with the NHS as a 'supported conversation partner' which is essentially helping people with aphasia redevelop their language. I had the training course the other day, just doing CRB checks atm, but that should be really good, rewarding, and I hope to go in to speech therapy also. Apart from that I'm just working, going travelling around march time, teaching English in France for a couple of months, going to Vietnam and teaching English there also, I would like to visit America too, maybe Spain and Italy, so a few things to look forward to :smile:
just want to get my application sent off and get a couple of offers under my belt! I have my grades (A*AB) so hopefully will receive offers from somewhere, haha. What are you up to?
Reply 11
Hi :smile: I'm applying for just Linguistics at Cambridge (Trinity Hall), UCL, SOAS and Lancaster. I didn't get to visit many places so I haven't put a fifth choice - I might do later, if I end up visiting anywhere else :biggrin: I do English Language, Maths, Physics and RS. I'm really happy as I got my first offer the other day, from Lancaster. AAB :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Raymond666
I'm currently deciding whether to apply for a sole English Language degree or an English Language and Linguistics degree. I don't really have much experience in linguistics, but I do find it really interesting. Also, would a D in GCSE Spanish hinder my application if I applied for an English Language and Linguistics degree? I'm not taking the subject at post-GCSE level, by the way.

I've applied for English language and linguistics as well! If the university said that they didn't need a GCSE foreign language then I don't think it would hinder your application. Well, I bloody hope not because I got a D at GCSE French :/
Reply 13
Original post by Lavedog
Erm, I have a 6 month placement with the NHS as a 'supported conversation partner' which is essentially helping people with aphasia redevelop their language. I had the training course the other day, just doing CRB checks atm, but that should be really good, rewarding, and I hope to go in to speech therapy also. Apart from that I'm just working, going travelling around march time, teaching English in France for a couple of months, going to Vietnam and teaching English there also, I would like to visit America too, maybe Spain and Italy, so a few things to look forward to :smile:
just want to get my application sent off and get a couple of offers under my belt! I have my grades (A*AB) so hopefully will receive offers from somewhere, haha. What are you up to?

Omg you're doing so much! That sounds amazing though! I'm on a year out as well but I'm just working to earn money, and I'm also doing courses in Chinese and British Sign Language. I've been really interested in the linguistics of sign languages lately so I'm really enjoying that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Loopylamp
Hi :smile: I'm applying for just Linguistics at Cambridge (Trinity Hall), UCL, SOAS and Lancaster. I didn't get to visit many places so I haven't put a fifth choice - I might do later, if I end up visiting anywhere else :biggrin: I do English Language, Maths, Physics and RS. I'm really happy as I got my first offer the other day, from Lancaster. AAB :smile:

This is the cambridge stalking page, just in case you haven't seen it. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:Cambridge_Applicants_Stalking_Page_2014_Entry
Applying at UCL, KCL, QMUL and Westminster.

Just out of curiosity, owing to extenuating circumstances, I got BBC (predicted A*A*A). I was only 7% off AAB...although I am resitting, do you think universities will give me an unconditional offer because I was so close?
Reply 16
Original post by Loopylamp

Congrats on Lancaster! I applied there as well and UCAS was sent off on Wednesday, so four days ago. How long did it take Lancaster to give you the offer?
Reply 17
Omg you're doing so much! That sounds amazing though! I'm on a year out as well but I'm just working to earn money, and I'm also doing courses in Chinese and British Sign Language. I've been really interested in the linguistics of sign languages lately so I'm really enjoying that.

Haha it doesn't feel like it yet, but once everything gets going a bit hopefully it will. Oh cool, where are you working? Awesome, sign language is very impressive. Cool it sounds like a very interesting read. Have a look at patients with aphasia and technique used to talk to them, there are similarities to sign-language, it's interesting.
Did you say you were applying to Cambridge? what grades do you have for that, out of interest?
Reply 18
Original post by Lavedog
Haha it doesn't feel like it yet, but once everything gets going a bit hopefully it will. Oh cool, where are you working? Awesome, sign language is very impressive. Cool it sounds like a very interesting read. Have a look at patients with aphasia and technique used to talk to them, there are similarities to sign-language, it's interesting.
Did you say you were applying to Cambridge? what grades do you have for that, out of interest?

Well I was working in a call centre for Eon but I hated it so I quit. I just got a new job today for M&S so hopefully that will be better. I got 3A*s and an A.

So what do you do with the patients, is it literally just having a conversation with them?
Reply 19
Well I was working in a call centre for Eon but I hated it so I quit. I just got a new job today for M&S so hopefully that will be better. I got 3A*s and an A.

So what do you do with the patients, is it literally just having a conversation with them?

haha I could never work in a call centre. Oh nice, I'm sure that will be better, I'm working at Sainsbury's, haha. It's not as bad as it sounds, I worked at John Lewis before and I actually prefer it at Sainsbury's. Very nice.

Well so far I've only had the training day, during which I spoke to 4 patients, using different techniques. Mostly people use pen and paper, using diagrams, scales etc to engage in conversations. It was really interesting to see how after 4-5 hours training I was able to properly engage in a conversation which I would've otherwise not have been able to. Often, patients can't vocalise a thought, the transferring of what they're thinking to what they're trying to say just doesn't process. Jargon aphasia is when patients think what they're saying makes sense, whereas in reality they're speaking completely random words and phrases. It's an intriguing topic, there are videos online I'm sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending