The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FreyaCat
Sent mine 5 days ago and still not heard anything...

Where did you apply?
Reply 881
Original post by Dr. Django
Where did you apply?

Edinburgh, St. Andrews, dundee and aberdeen, you?
Edinburgh, St. Andrews, dundee and aberdeen, you?

Edinburgh, Leicester, Leeds and Newcastle :smile:

I just got lucky with my acknowledgements coming quickly I guess !
Reply 883
Edinburgh, Leicester, Leeds and Newcastle :smile:

I just got lucky with my acknowledgements coming quickly I guess !

Yeah they've probably just got so many applicants right now :smile:
Not everyone sends acknowledgements. I never got one off St Andrews.
Hi guys, I'm new to this so forgive me if I make a mistake, basically I need your help I did really bad in As and could only bring up my grades to CCC in chemistry, biology and sociology. Bear in mind I've raised these grades from Es but anyway I've had a life long passion to do medicine and have done loads of work exp, any ideas of who would take me, I plan to bring up my grades to A*AA by the end of this year since I got a C in sociology with a weeks revision. Thanks in advance.
Reply 886
Sent my form off just now! Left it a bit late, I know! ...and now the waiting begins!
I got one from St Andrews about 10 hours after my application was sent in?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there!!

My advice is to get on top of things early on, don't let them build up (like I did)! With AS levels, try and get your notes done before Easter Holidays (if you do notes) as I was still doing mine then so couldn't concentrate on actually learning all the material! Furthermore, if you do your notes during the year (make them legible and clear :tongue:) then you will really reduce the workload!!

Keep organised, file everything in order and keep it neat ( I had a mountain of unfiled work lying around and wish I'd been organised from the start :L)! As I'm sure you are aware, past papers are key to success and make sure that you do them all ( I would advise doing them at least 2/3 times or until you're getting 95%+ every time :smile: )

Try and organise work experience ASAP, all mine was in the summer after Year 12 and along with preparing for UKCAT, writing my personal statement and 'trying' to meet friends and go out it was pretty stressful!! (You have no jan exams so id advise trying to get some for xmas hols if you can :smile:

Just work hard and keep organised and you'll be fine! The less organised you are the harder you'll have to work around exam time; my notes were terrible so I had to rewrite most of them: make sure you don't have to! Good luck

Agree with most of this, especially the bit about having clear, organised notes, organising work experience early (start now! I left it late, it was stressful to say the least) and not letting things get on top of you. I did a few things a little differently though... For example, I didn't start any real revision until the Easter holidays. At this time, I started making revision notes, because writing things out in a different way really helps it sink in for me. The biology department gave us some 'revision tasks' to do that made it a bit more interesting; if I remember I'll send them to you next time I'm on a computer at college (don't do them until nearer the exams though honestly, otherwise it's just a waste of time!) I also kept up a glossary in biology and chemistry all year, with definitions for every new or complicated word, plus definitions for all the words in each definition that I wasn't 100% sure of (if that makes sense!) Only took me about 45 mins to update each glossary each week; I used a 90 minute free I used to have after lunch on Mondays. Past papers are important for all subjects tbh, but they were literally the only revision I did for maths and physics, but I don't know what AS's you've chosen so I'm not sure how useful that advice will be! Anyway, if you've got any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
Why's everyone so bothered about acknowledgement emails? I haven't got a single yet and my form was sent off to UCAS on Thursday morning! If you can log into track they must have received your application, so I think everyone needs to just chill :P
Original post by sm786
Hi guys im new here, please help!! After my terrible ukcat score, im stuck on which uni's to apply to, i want it to definitely be intergrated or traditional.

GCSE's: 10A*'s and 2A's(A's in english literature and english language)
AS Grades: AAAAA (bio, chem, phy, maths, general st.)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A(A in chem, A*'s in phys, maths and bio)
UKCAT: 665 did so bad, only practiced hardcore 2 days before, my fault really. vr 480 qr 670 ar 800 da 710 i panicked on vr as you can tell.

Also doing further maths AS level, completed one module in which i got an A, and doing other two this year. I have done many extra cirrucular activites. 4 hospital placements, in oncology, paedriatics, cardiology, neonatal, observed surgery, done alot of leadership things, scouts young leader, mentoring, etc. gold dofe, st johns ambulance.

Hoping to apply to Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham

not sure about last one: Sheffield? Bristol? i heard bristols really competitive and do sheffield put alot of emphasis on ukcat, will they prefer an applicant with a high ukcat and low AS's or vice versa. What other uni's would you advise, really need help!!!

Have you considered Queen's Belfast? You would receive a score of 40/42 and last year the off for interview was 37/42.
Reply 891
Thank you "Mr Supernova", "Dr.Django" and "The Enlightment" for your replies! I have found them very useful and I shall take that on board! Good luck for your A2 and university applications!
Original post by sm786
Hi guys im new here, please help!! After my terrible ukcat score, im stuck on which uni's to apply to, i want it to definitely be intergrated or traditional.

GCSE's: 10A*'s and 2A's(A's in english literature and english language)
AS Grades: AAAAA (bio, chem, phy, maths, general st.)
A2 Predictions: A*A*A*A(A in chem, A*'s in phys, maths and bio)
UKCAT: 665 did so bad, only practiced hardcore 2 days before, my fault really. vr 480 qr 670 ar 800 da 710 i panicked on vr as you can tell.

Also doing further maths AS level, completed one module in which i got an A, and doing other two this year. I have done many extra cirrucular activites. 4 hospital placements, in oncology, paedriatics, cardiology, neonatal, observed surgery, done alot of leadership things, scouts young leader, mentoring, etc. gold dofe, st johns ambulance.

Hoping to apply to Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham

not sure about last one: Sheffield? Bristol? i heard bristols really competitive and do sheffield put alot of emphasis on ukcat, will they prefer an applicant with a high ukcat and low AS's or vice versa. What other uni's would you advise, really need help!!!

Not sure Birmingham's a good shout if you didn't get A*s in English. Sheffield decide based on the strength of your personal statement as long as your UKCAT is above 650. Bristol are 80% personal statement, 20% academics, but you're right it is very competitive (less than Leeds though). Queen's Belfast, like the person above me said, is a good shout. Have you considered Liverpool (mainly use GCSE's and PS, don't use UKCAT at all) or Cardiff (also GCSE's and PS, UKCAT only in borderline cases)?
Reply 893
Original post by MrSupernova
Why's everyone so bothered about acknowledgement emails? I haven't got a single yet and my form was sent off to UCAS on Thursday morning! If you can log into track they must have received your application, so I think everyone needs to just chill :P

I'm not bothered about the emails, it's more the fact that I haven't heard anything from ucas and can't log into track, I sent mine on Wednesday morning...
Reply 894
Hey guys,
Just a quick question does it matter if you send your application off on the 15th vs earlier?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ashamoh
Hey guys,
Just a quick question does it matter if you send your application of on the 15th vs earlier?

Makes no difference at all.
I'm not bothered about the emails, it's more the fact that I haven't heard anything from ucas and can't log into track, I sent mine on Wednesday morning...

Did you submit it to UCAS or are you applying through your school? If all you've done is sent it to your referee then you won't be able to access Track until your referee sends it off.
Reply 897
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Did you submit it to UCAS or are you applying through your school? If all you've done is sent it to your referee then you won't be able to access Track until your referee sends it off.

I'm applying through my school but my referee sent it off on Wednesday morning, I was there when they did it.
I'm applying through my school but my referee sent it off on Wednesday morning, I was there when they did it.

This probably sounds really condescending, but you are logging in with your UCAS number, rather than your username, aren't you? Took me 10 minutes and a locked account to figure that one out :colondollar:
Original post by MrSupernova

Haha, I guess because people see it as their first contact :P

I didn't start revising till Easter either, but retrospectively it might have been a good idea!

Quick Reply

Latest