Original post by DrumChops
Anybody else considering Ace Medicine?

Original post by Dr.Ugs
I went to that last year. It was really good :smile:
But I would recommend you do it closer to the interview

hmmm.. decisions, ace or isc? :-)
Reply 22
Original post by star10159
watched. let the games begin. Anyone willing to set up a skype/google hangout group close to November/december time would be great as well.

Me too!
Reply 23
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I went to that last year. It was really good :smile:
But I would recommend you do it closer to the interview

Original post by DrumChops
Anybody else considering Ace Medicine?

Original post by tdx
hmmm.. decisions, ace or isc? :-)

Hey guys,
I am not really aware of any of these 'interview prep' things your talking about. Can you tell me more pls? Are they like a course or something?
Reply 24
Original post by pinky1035
Me too!

And me! I am super nervous about the interviews x)
Does anybody know which universities tend to do their interview earlier than others?
Reply 25
Original post by Tinuviel
And me! I am super nervous about the interviews x)
Does anybody know which universities tend to do their interview earlier than others?

HYMS and Exeter did their interviews before Christmas last year. HYMS also gave out some early offers on each date they conducted interviews. The rest of the applicants had to wait until the end of interviews to know their result! Likewise with Exeter and BSMS the majority of offers went out at the end of the interview process in about March time!
Reply 26
is there any university still doing the traditional way of interviews?

I actually prefer the old way, dont really like the MMI style..
Reply 27
Original post by Ama2007

Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone. Just joining this thread:smile:. Have applied to Keele, UEA, BSMS and Liverpool. Here's hoping we get some interviews!
Reply 29
Original post by Ama2007

By traditional, do you mean a panel interview? In that case, I think the majority still use that! I know for certain that the following unis do:

Cambridge
UCL
Imperial
St. Andrews
Bristol
Oxford

And I think Nottingham, Durham and Newcastle still use them.

I'm sure there are others too!!! :wink:
Reply 30
Definitely watching this thread! :smile: my application just got sent, eeek.
Will you guys do much interview prep with teachers/ parents etc? I'm a reapplicant so have left school, last year a couple of teachers did a mock panel thing for me which was helpful, dunno how keen they would be now I've left though.
So shall we get the ball rolling or what?

A girl (aged 14) comes to see her GP in which she requests a pregnancy test. She finds out she is pregnant and wants to abort it without the the parents getting involved.

What should the GP do?

It would be wise to consider points like capacity/competency, legal right, patient autonomy, how many weeks, 4 ethics of principle and confidentiality. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
I haven't even started reading the interview book yet :/

Should we all start now, or wait till we might get interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
I haven't even started reading the interview book yet :/

Should we all start now, or wait till we might get interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No harm in starting now, I'm just doing light practise on ethics.

Some unis give 1 week notice for an interview :s-smilie:
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit

A girl comes to see her GP in which she requests a pregnancy test. She finds out she is pregnant and wants to abort it without the the parents getting involved.

What should the GP do?

It would be wise to consider points like capacity/competency, legal right, patient autonomy, how many weeks, 4 ethics of principle and confidentiality. :smile:

I'm so screwed. I guess it would depend upon the age of the girl and the conditions of the pregnancy, was she raped? I think that if she is 16 or over then her confidentiality should be respected. Is there a reason she doesn't want her parents to get involved? Would it cause her more harm if they knew?
Ugh I cannot do this stuff!
Original post by RadioheadAnton
I'm so screwed. I guess it would depend upon the age of the girl and the conditions of the pregnancy, was she raped? I think that if she is 16 or over then her confidentiality should be respected. Is there a reason she doesn't want her parents to get involved? Would it cause her more harm if they knew?
Ugh I cannot do this stuff!

You can do it, you just need practise!

If she was raped or at harm, I would tell her parents and contact appropriate services. However if not, I will have to obey her autonomy and thus I will not break patient confidentiality. I would strongly advise her to tell her parents but I wouldn't coerce her into making a decision. As doctors we have to be trustworthy and honest.
Also if it's before 24 weeks, abortion will be legal but abortion does carry risks and can be traumatic esp for a 14 y/o girl.
Reply 36

A girl comes to see her GP in which she requests a pregnancy test. She finds out she is pregnant and wants to abort it without the the parents getting involved.

What should the GP do?

Ok...

My response stems from my previous recollection of my ethics preparation from last year so I'm probably outdated or not thorough or just plain wrong.

It's obviously important to find out how far in the pregnancy is, I think over 24 weeks, an abortion becomes illegal in this country. If over, an abortion is out of the question and you might discuss other options to her such as adoption.
Her age is also important as if she is 16 and over, she is competent enough to make a decision on termination of her pregnancy.
If she is under 16, it would be helpful to find out if she might be in danger or if her health is at risk in which case, the GP might discuss involving the police or social services, maybe if she has been raped or receiving abuse.
Discuss with her, why she does not want to involve her parents and inform her that an abortion is a procedure that is quite emotional to go through and it would be in her best interests to inform her parents or legal guardians so she doesn't have to go through with it alone.
Respect her right to confidentiality as that level of trust cannot be breached. If she still refuses, respect her decision to. The GP should be reassuring and calm while addressing her as well as assure her that you are there to help her.

That's all I can remember. Please someone point to any wrong points I might have mentioned. And add to it please as I'm sure there's also more things to consider :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Ok...

My response stems from my previous recollection of my ethics preparation from last year so I'm probably outdated or not thorough or just plain wrong.

It's obviously important to find out how far in the pregnancy is, I think over 24 weeks, an abortion becomes illegal in this country. If over, an abortion is out of the question and you might discuss other options to her such as adoption.
Her age is also important as if she is 16 and over, she is competent enough to make a decision on termination of her pregnancy.
If she is under 16, it would be helpful to find out if she might be in danger or if her health is at risk in which case, the GP might discuss involving the police or social services, maybe if she has been raped or receiving abuse.
Discuss with her, why she does not want to involve her parents and inform her that an abortion is a procedure that is quite emotional to go through and it would be in her best interests to inform her parents or legal guardians so she doesn't have to go through with it alone.
Respect her right to confidentiality as that level of trust cannot be breached. If she still refuses, respect her decision to. The GP should be reassuring and calm while addressing her as well as assure her that you are there to help her.

That's all I can remember. Please someone point to any wrong points I might have mentioned. And add to it please as I'm sure there's also more things to consider :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds Good! Had similarish stuff going through my head! Interviews are gonna be horrible!
Original post by SuziieB
Ok...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! I think regardless of her age, it's important to note safety :smile:
Reply 39
You can do it, you just need practise!

If she was raped or at harm, I would tell her parents and contact appropriate services. However if not, I will have to obey her autonomy and thus I will not break patient confidentiality. I would strongly advise her to tell her parents but I wouldn't coerce her into making a decision. As doctors we have to be trustworthy and honest.
Also if it's before 24 weeks, abortion will be legal but abortion does carry risks and can be traumatic esp for a 14 y/o girl.

Yes I would say the same we must keep the patient-docotor relationship so she can trust the NHS (hospitals, doctors etc..) in the future. Therefore, keep confidentiality but try to see why/how she can try and get her parents support too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending