The Student Room Group

Summer Camp in America 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
What kind of questions do they ask you at the interview? I have mine at the interviewers house next week, and I'm a bit nervous of what to expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone will have an answer to these questions but it's worth a shot I guess.
So basically, due to a really annoyingly placed biology exam, I won't be able to leave to go to America until the 20th of June. I was wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get placed if you can only leave that late? I just want to get an idea of my chance of going!
Also, because I have applied to Americamp I will have to pay £100 to 'show my commitment' or something. Because I think it's quite likely I won't get placed I'm considering going next year instead so does anyone know how the whole deferring your application thing works and will you have to pay the £100 fee again? I just don't know whether it's worth paying if it's likely I won't be able to go.

Thanks guys.
americamp charge a non refundable application fee of £40, the next 60 gets refunded if you dont get placed. Camps will see what time youre available for and give you offers knowing that.
Reply 123
Original post by EllaBella<3
Hey guys! Just finishing 3 and a half months travel in Asia and im looking for my next adventures. Camp America is pretty appealing right now :smile:

I'm feeling the same way :smile: Spent nearly 4 months around SE Asia...now at uni but I need something a bit more exciting. Not much money at the minute, but thinking of going in 2015. I just want to travel again really haha!
Original post by christinalalala
Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone will have an answer to these questions but it's worth a shot I guess.
So basically, due to a really annoyingly placed biology exam, I won't be able to leave to go to America until the 20th of June. I was wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get placed if you can only leave that late? I just want to get an idea of my chance of going!
Also, because I have applied to Americamp I will have to pay £100 to 'show my commitment' or something. Because I think it's quite likely I won't get placed I'm considering going next year instead so does anyone know how the whole deferring your application thing works and will you have to pay the £100 fee again? I just don't know whether it's worth paying if it's likely I won't be able to go.

Thanks guys.

Theres a tiny bit on the Camp America website that says if youre available slightly after the end date which i think is the 20th then to email someone and explain and they can see what they can do, theres some camps that dont start until the end of june anyway so its still possible. dunno if this is any help :smile:
Reply 125
I have this post application question to answer..

'What experience do you have to demonstrate your ability to be flexible, work long hours, sometimes performing tasks that are physically and emotionally demanding and live in a community with strict rules? E.g. Ban on alcohol and adhering to curfew'

I think I'm struggling to answer the bit about performing physically and emotionally demanding tasks.. I have a lot of work experience in primary schools and in retail but don't know if it would be considered physically and emotionally demanding.. Can anyone give me some examples of what they might mean by that please?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 126
Original post by emmatays
I am thinking of doing a summer camp next summer during my first summer at University as I missed the deadline for this year :frown:! But I am struggling to pick which agency I want to go with.

I was looking at Americamp...anyone had any experience with them? I know they are relatively new compared to Camp America or CCUSA and they also work out to be the cheapest even if you pay for your own flights (if I have done my research correctly!) but am worried that they won't be as legit?

Can anyone recommend the camp agency they went with? Thanks for the replies!

I am doing Camp America and I'm ready to be placed as of today! So far the whole process has been amazing and not as hard as people think! People say CCUSA is the cheapest but I have cousins who went through the CCUSA scheme and there were ALOT of hidden costs for them and it turned out to be £100 more than Camp America and PLUS they had to spend on travel to London for orientation etc. Camo America travels across the country to keep costs down. CCUSA is the oldest and therefore have more camps looking for people but more people enter CCUSA and drop out. It depends how you feel after you weigh up the pros and cons. I have heard good things about AmeriCamp but as it is fairly new, I wouldn't risk it with there being such esteemed organisations already out there! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 127
Original post by Lauraaa23
I was just wondering, when do we apply for summer of 2014? Also what age do you have to be? On their website it says under 17 but by summer 2014 Ii will be 18?

You need to be 18 by June 1st for Camp America, I am guessing the same for others camps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Original post by RLSouthorn
Yea i am too!! I'm from the UK - yorkshire (north) way! Add me on Facebook if you're going :smile: Rebecca Louise

Hi whats the link?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Fancy going to an American Summer camp this year. Got lots of good skills such as I have played cricket, tennis, hockey and football for clubs/school teams, plus am currently undertaking my football association coaching and first aid badges. But, the problem is I've had virtually no experience working with kids. Is this a major problem even though I have a lot of skills? Will they laugh off my application?
Reply 130
Original post by Tevez-32
Fancy going to an American Summer camp this year. Got lots of good skills such as I have played cricket, tennis, hockey and football for clubs/school teams, plus am currently undertaking my football association coaching and first aid badges. But, the problem is I've had virtually no experience working with kids. Is this a major problem even though I have a lot of skills? Will they laugh off my application?

They wont laugh off your application but if you have a brother or sister just say when you've helped them, if there has ever been young children at your sports teams you have helped, ever babysat.. it can be really minor. My cousin had no experience and just made the above up, it's not like they check to what extent you are telling the truth haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already passed my Americamp interview, now just need to work on a few other things in the next stage, including my video. I'm a bit nervous about it cos I've never done anything like it before, but I'll give it a go and hopefully it'll turn out fine :smile:
hey guys, first post here :smile: , Looking to work at a summer camp next summer. My preferred choice so far is camp leaders. One of the hoops you need to jump through to get a discounted price is to "Move your application to the 'placeable' stage within 15 days of being accepted",[FONT="Neue" Helvetica="Helvetica"]does anyone know roughly how long it takes to get accepted? I'm still waiting on my sports leadership certificate coming through in the post and i don't want to start the application process now if it means i might miss out on this discount.

thanks

and good luck to everyone else applying this year :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I've been placed!!! Has anyone else??
Reply 134
Original post by smudge_moon
I've been placed!!! Has anyone else??

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!! Where have you been placed and what's your role going to be? I've not been placed yet but I still need to send my references off and my pay my second deposit which should all be done tmra :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anybody know what the latest date to apply for camp this summer is? Is it to late for me to applu?
I really want to apply, but I'm abroad for the next few months and will only be in the UK for a few weeks at Xmas - is anyone in the same situation? Do you think they'd interview by Skype, or does it have to be in person? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 137
Original post by Butterfly9595
I really want to apply, but I'm abroad for the next few months and will only be in the UK for a few weeks at Xmas - is anyone in the same situation? Do you think they'd interview by Skype, or does it have to be in person? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Message the interviewer and tell them how urgent it is as you need to show them documents, if you need an interview with a camp then they'll certainly skype you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dooobie_
Message the interviewer and tell them how urgent it is as you need to show them documents, if you need an interview with a camp then they'll certainly skype you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great, thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
Congratulations!!! That's so exciting!! Where have you been placed and what's your role going to be? I've not been placed yet but I still need to send my references off and my pay my second deposit which should all be done tmra :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I've been placed at the International Gymnastics Camp :smile: Just as a recreational counselor :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest