The Student Room Group

Predicted and AS grades

I want to know how important predicted grades are compared to AS'. Because at my school people literally ask the teacher to up their predicted grade if they're not happy with it and they do...which I think is a bit unfair.

I got AAAAA and have been predicted 3A*A and all my UMS were way above 90...but one of my friends for example got AABB and has been predicted 3A*A, and only one of the A's was 90+. He had predicted grades of A*AAB but asked his teachers to up them because he was applying to oxbridge and needed better predicted grades.

So my question is for unis like oxbridge, ruseel group etc...are we viewed as the same ability (assuming reference and personal statement are about the same)
Universities can (or at least claim to be able to) tell whether a predicted grade has been 'artificially inflated'. In other words, they make their own prediction of your grades based on your AS grades, compare it to the college's prediction, and if there is a large difference between the two sets, they will assume that the college's high predictions are inaccurate. The exception to this rule is if there were extenuating circumstances affecting the AS results, in which case the university might recognise that the predicted grades are a fair prediction despite worse AS results.

In short, the universities will probably be able to tell that your friend is less likely than you to achieve those predicted grades. Congratulations on your results by the way, and good luck with your application.
Reply 2
Original post by benplumley
Universities can (or at least claim to be able to) tell whether a predicted grade has been 'artificially inflated'. In other words, they make their own prediction of your grades based on your AS grades, compare it to the college's prediction, and if there is a large difference between the two sets, they will assume that the college's high predictions are inaccurate. The exception to this rule is if there were extenuating circumstances affecting the AS results, in which case the university might recognise that the predicted grades are a fair prediction despite worse AS results.

In short, the universities will probably be able to tell that your friend is less likely than you to achieve those predicted grades. Congratulations on your results by the way, and good luck with your application.

Thanks for the info and cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending