The Student Room Group

university of nicosia - has anyone studied there? or any univeristies in Cyprus

Hi, I always wanted to study abroad and I had a look at this university and really liked the look of it. Has anyone studied there? My concern is I want to be a clinical psychologist and I want to do my masters or postgraduate in there when I finish my undergraduate psychology degree, so I wondering will they accept my application in the UK for clinical doctorate training if I studied in Cyprus and did some work experience there? Or is it too much risk?

I don't want to offend any Cypriots, but are they nice to south-Asians? I have faced racism but I don't know how bad it is there. Also I will learn to Greek before I go there. Are there any other good universities to study in South of Cyprus? Thanks
Reply 1
My aunties husband was in Uni in Cyprus in 1970 I think, apparently it was fine for him, I'm not sure now about the racism issue, I don't know much about Greek-Turkish Cyprus issue, but if possible you may want to look up 'Golden Dawn' before a so called foreigner decides to move to Greece
Has anyone studied there? My concern is I want to be a clinical psychologist and I want to do my masters or postgraduate in there when I finish my undergraduate psychology degree, so I wondering will they accept my application in the UK for clinical doctorate training if I studied in Cyprus and did some work experience there? Or is it too much risk?

You will need to have a BPS accredited degree. Clinical Psychology courses will look for an understanding of the UK health context, good academic skills and research ability as well as a commitment to UK Clinical Psychology. It's hard to judge how they will view an MSc from overseas, but you presumably won't have the NHS experience that you may get in this country.

However, it will depend on what you learn and the experience you gain in the meantime. There are people who get on courses without working in the NHS, but it depends on how you draw on what you have done and how reflective you are on your application form.
Reply 3
Original post by 3razy
My aunties husband was in Uni in Cyprus in 1970 I think, apparently it was fine for him, I'm not sure now about the racism issue, I don't know much about Greek-Turkish Cyprus issue, but if possible you may want to look up 'Golden Dawn' before a so called foreigner decides to move to Greece

Frankly, Northern Cyprus is in fact probably the best place to study for international students. It's beautiful, calm and peaceful. There is no violence between Greek and Turkish, weather is amazing and most importantly it is very cheap for international students. Plus the living expenses are incomparably cheaper than in the Western countries.

Many universities, take for instance Cyprus International University, do give generous scholarships and then there is a discount every year on the on-campus accommodation.

As for recognition for instance, Cyprus International University is fully recognized internationally with the exception of the Republic of Cyprus (because of politics rather than education). So if you are thinking on settling in the Republic of Cyprus (the Greek part) then definitely North Cyprus is not advisable. But for the rest of the world, by all means yes. You have the UNESCO recognition, UK NARIC, DAAD and many local ones as well. In fact the university is treated as any other Turkish University and has recognition of the Higher Education Council in Turkey. I personally know many students who graduated and either pursued their further studies in UK, Germany and USA as well as in their home countries. Same goes for jobs.

I think it's worth looking at and apply (the application is for free) to decide once you get the offer.
Is University Of Nicosia good for medicine? I got an offer but i'm not sure if I should go for it. Does anyone know about the teaching, the equipments, the faculty, the placements?
Please do let me know
Cyprus is an amazing island, great for a peaceful lifestyle. However medicine here isn’t very advanced. That’s the only issue really.
I did not study myself in Cyprus but two friends of mine did. I will ask them for the recommendations and experiences and come back to you then. Ill see them this weekend.
So i checked and my research suggests that universites are not the best in Cyprus. However if you plan to be a digital nomad, Cyprus is a great country for you as you can check here. Cyprus is giving a lot of advantages to business owners and studying something related is probably quit useful.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have a BSc from University of Nicosia, in Psychology. The course schedule is very nice and accredited by BPS and APA, and the teachers are also very qualified and eager to discuss with you. The classes have few people so you can come closer. The university itself is easier than others in terms of the courses level, but it prepares you well for future studies without overloading you. Generally I am happy with my studies. I am Greek so I didn't encounter racism, but you will find people from many different countries there. The lifestyle here is peaceful, the distances are small and if you like hot weather and good beaches, that's your place. Cyprus is not very developed yet compared to Western European countries, but still there is a lot of progress especially during the last years. It is a good place to have a satisfying career and a decent life with family later. It is generally a traditional place where a lot of attention is paid to the concept of family and society. (Sorry if I got out of subject, but I thought that a general description would be helpful. Ask me if you have more questions.)
Reply 8
Hey,

I know this is an old post but I need to ask someone for help. I'm hoping to start Nicosia this September, and I wanted to know how you went about paying for the fees? I'm a student from the UK, btw.

Thanks for reading ^^
Original post by kitKat_kacool
I have a BSc from University of Nicosia, in Psychology. The course schedule is very nice and accredited by BPS and APA, and the teachers are also very qualified and eager to discuss with you. The classes have few people so you can come closer. The university itself is easier than others in terms of the courses level, but it prepares you well for future studies without overloading you. Generally I am happy with my studies. I am Greek so I didn't encounter racism, but you will find people from many different countries there. The lifestyle here is peaceful, the distances are small and if you like hot weather and good beaches, that's your place. Cyprus is not very developed yet compared to Western European countries, but still there is a lot of progress especially during the last years. It is a good place to have a satisfying career and a decent life with family later. It is generally a traditional place where a lot of attention is paid to the concept of family and society. (Sorry if I got out of subject, but I thought that a general description would be helpful. Ask me if you have more questions.)
University Of Nicosia good for medicine? I got an offer but i'm not sure if I should go for it. Does anyone know about the teaching, the equipments, the faculty, the placements?

Please do let me know
Reply 10
I wonder if you accepted the offer ? If yes how was it ? Do you recommend to study medic here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending