The Student Room Group

Best new car for £25,000

Currently have a 2012 Yaris

want to buy a new car, thinking BMW 316

but what else is available for that price??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jusdorange

I'm sure this is more of a speculative question, rather than a real one.

But it depends on what you want a car for? I've had to drive 60k a year before, and for me my requirements were economy and comfort. On the other hand I've hand my friend is a tree surgeon so has a pick up truck. It's all dependent on what you want it for.

25 grand is not huge money in new car terms. Go for a couple of years old and you could pick up most cars you can think off. Many "premium" brands cars come with no options and are basically unsaleable unless you add another 10 grands worth of ticks on the order form.

Also the 316 is a terribly underpowered car. I had to drive one for 3 weeks when my company 320d was in for a new turbo. I was so so happy to get back into the diesel machine. It's also uneconomical and generally a bit crap.

If you have 25k, save up a bit more and buy a nearly new 135i, you won't regret it. My brother has just got a new one, and it's an amazing machine.
Reply 2
Original post by oldouguy
I'm sure this is more of a speculative question, rather than a real one.

But it depends on what you want a car for? I've had to drive 60k a year before, and for me my requirements were economy and comfort. On the other hand I've hand my friend is a tree surgeon so has a pick up truck. It's all dependent on what you want it for.

25 grand is not huge money in new car terms. Go for a couple of years old and you could pick up most cars you can think off. Many "premium" brands cars come with no options and are basically unsaleable unless you add another 10 grands worth of ticks on the order form.

Also the 316 is a terribly underpowered car. I had to drive one for 3 weeks when my company 320d was in for a new turbo. I was so so happy to get back into the diesel machine. It's also uneconomical and generally a bit crap.

If you have 25k, save up a bit more and buy a nearly new 135i, you won't regret it. My brother has just got a new one, and it's an amazing machine.

no, I have £25,000 cash so a very real question, just not too familiar with cars, can't be bothered visiting every site, checking every model, etc ..

1 series is ugly =/

and I rarely go out of the city, so mostly city driving around london
Reply 3
no, I have £25,000 cash so a very real question, just not too familiar with cars, can't be bothered visiting every site, checking every model, etc ..

1 series is ugly =/

and I rarely go out of the city, so mostly city driving around london

Buy yourself a small petrol engined car with a silly long warranty (kia or the like), spec it out nicely and save the 15 grand. Driving and parking in London is disgusting, you want something small and you want something you arn't going to cry over when someone bashes it, which they will.

Also if you are going to spend 25k on something on the advice of randomers on the internet you are mad. If this is serious go on a website call drivethedeal you can get a range of cars at rock bottom prices without the hassle of sales men.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Surly a basic BMW > specced up Kia

More reliable as well :smile:
Reply 6
Depends on whether you would rather pay for a badge or a well spec'd car.

I'd probably go with the new Kia Rio, 7 year warranty, top spec has some very nice features and I found it pretty good to drive as well. It's not big either so London shouldn't be a problem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by oldouguy
Buy yourself a small petrol engined car with a silly long warranty (kia or the like), spec it out nicely and save the 15 grand. Driving and parking in London is disgusting, you want something small and you want something you arn't going to cry over when someone bashes it, which they will.

Really good advice, if I was in OP's position, I would do this.
Original post by de_monies
More reliable as well :smile:

Go on, how did you work that one out?

Just a quick look on internetz

Why does it?

Because of the name? Who cares what the name is.

If people are shallow enough to judge you on car brand, then don't associate with them. They're probably ********s.

If I had £25k cash, I'd personally be looking at something newish but with up to 5000 miles on it. Let someone else take that large depreciation loss first.
(New) Mercedes A-Class! Dream car of mine in that budget:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look at the seat range, ibiza and leon FR's are very reliable, small, good looking, great quality and pretty powerful. It could save you 10k

Posted from TSR Mobile
A second hand one....
I saw a db9 for £30000 in prague....I'm sure second hand you can get something awesome for £25k
Reply 13
Original post by Friggerpants
Why does it?

Because of the name? Who cares what the name is.

If people are shallow enough to judge you on car brand, then don't associate with them. They're probably ********s.

If I had £25k cash, I'd personally be looking at something newish but with up to 5000 miles on it. Let someone else take that large depreciation loss first.

are you actually joking?

it's not just a badge, BMW engines are top quality

and I want to be 1st owner, even if it costs more
What colour is you Toyota ? it looks fugly in white = :shock:!

You can get a Ford Kuga, a Suzuki Alto and a sexaaaaaaaaaaaay Peugeot for that price :cookie:! Do a search on this site: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/ !

:tumble:
Go second hand. Second hand cars are a Much better option, and there are so many deals available.
Reply 16
are you actually joking?

it's not just a badge, BMW engines are top quality

and I want to be 1st owner, even if it costs more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/bmw-chains-snap-n47-engine-2007-2009

While German engines do tend to be better, it's not a be all and end all.
The amount you'd save on something that doesn't have a pretty badge and usually more tech inside would easily sway the decision of your average motorist, and chances are they wouldn't have a problem with the engine. Nine times out of ten it isn't even the engine that fails, it's something electronic.
Reply 17
Probably a VW Golf GTI or a Renault Megane RS255.

I'd rather take the bus than be caught driving a 316i
Reply 18
Get a golf great for city driving that's what I have I love it

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have a 2012 Yaris why would you want to buy a new car as that is only one year old. Also how do you have £25,000 to buy a car? That is a lot of money to spend on a vechile which is only going to take you from A to B?

Quick Reply

Latest