The Student Room Group

Further Education

Hi

I'm 37 and my ultimate dream would be to become a teacher but the lack of qualifications and now family commitments it seems highly unlikely. However with that said I feel the need to learn again.

I am very sport minded and have always been involved in sport in some way so I have decided I want to gain a qualification and have been looking at a PE GCSE. However i do have questions:

Can I do a PE GCSE from home eg. is there practical parts to the course and how do they get assessed?
How do I get the course to start my study (I have researched and its not clear for PE)?
Should I get a tutor and if so how?
And should I be really be looking at a GCSE or go for A Level / Btec bearing in mind it will be studying from home while also being employed?

All and any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1
I am not an expert, but I have thought about going into teaching myself and I am doing a full time distance learning degree so I may be able to offer some answers. I don't think you can get a PE GCSE or A level from home, you can get other one's such as in the sciences, english, history etc. through places such as the National Extension College. There are a lot of colleges that offer BTEC course in sports, but most of them are full time.

What I would suggest you look at are the Open University qualifications in sport/coaching. They have a few qualifications in your area from a certHE in sport, fitness and management, a dipHE in sport and fitness and a degree in sport and fitness.

The good thing about the OU is that you can fit it around your work and personal life. You can choose to do a degree, for example, in three years or up to 16 years with modules for degrees starting at 8 hours work per week. You can also get financial support if you haven't already got a degree. The OU also has no entrance requirements as they never presume any background knowledge when starting a qualification. For the degree you do need another qualification for an entry requirement, but the OU gives you details on how to get it if you haven't already parallel to the degree.

I don't want to over complicate so here is the page with all the qualifications I mentioned and just click on them for more details: http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/health-and-social-care/index.htm

If you have more questions about what I have said post them here, or I would recommend posting them on the Open University thread as you may find people who have taken the sports/coaching qualifications who can give you advice. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Steveadlem
Hi

I'm 37 and my ultimate dream would be to become a teacher but the lack of qualifications and now family commitments it seems highly unlikely. However with that said I feel the need to learn again.

I am very sport minded and have always been involved in sport in some way so I have decided I want to gain a qualification and have been looking at a PE GCSE. However i do have questions:

Can I do a PE GCSE from home eg. is there practical parts to the course and how do they get assessed?
How do I get the course to start my study (I have researched and its not clear for PE)?
Should I get a tutor and if so how?
And should I be really be looking at a GCSE or go for A Level / Btec bearing in mind it will be studying from home while also being employed?

All and any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hello

It's most likely impossible to do PE GCSE from home, because as you said, you may need to be accessed - however, you are able to do this as a private candidate at AQA examination centres.

Perhaps a BTEC at college is your best bet, especially National as this is recognised in majority of the universities across the UK.

Here is a distance learning option:-

Open University BA Honours degree in Sport, Fitness and Coaching:
http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/qualification/q76.htm

Paula

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending