The Student Room Group

Would it be weird to contact my previous tutor through Facebook for a reference?

I can't get through to him via college and I don't actually think he works there anymore. I would like to contact him to see if he would provide a reference for my UCAS application and I've come across him on Facebook, we're not friends on there or anything but I can't get in contact with him otherwise... So is it weird or should I just go for it?
If that's the only way of contacting him that you have, then do it.

However, do be aware that those of us who work with teenagers get many a talk on the subject of the perils of communicating with those teenagers via Facebook, so keep it strictly businesslike.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I guess it's okay. You can even send him a message without adding him on facebook, so maybe you can just approach him this way.
Thank you guys, I think I will just message him as I'd rather be weird and get into uni than not get in haha!
Original post by Origami Bullets
However, do be aware that those of us who work with teenagers get many a talk on the subject of the perils of communicating with those teenagers via Facebook, so keep it strictly businesslike.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mind telling us more? I wan't to know what they say :lol:
Reply 5
If you're still at school/college I highly doubt they will reply. Are you sure there isn't another reference you can use?
Reply 6
Since your a female not really would be quite weird if a male student message a female teacher tho.
Original post by skotch
If you're still at school/college I highly doubt they will reply. Are you sure there isn't another reference you can use?

I'm not at college anymore so I'm not actually his student so I guess that's ok! I could probably find someone else but the thing is this tutor knows my personal circumstances quite well so yeah.
Original post by So Instinct
Mind telling us more? I wan't to know what they say :lol:

It's all just about not letting professional boundaries get blurred (it's harder to exercise authority when they've seen the pictures of you wasted on fb that weekend), and no one can monitor communications, which can make things look a bit dodgy. As much as anything though, it's about protecting yourself from false allegations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I am in kinda the same situation. I am in contact with my former tutor on Facebook, in fact a lot of us are but then again we were all mature students. I have asked her for a reference and it was fine. I would say go for it if you are prepared to not take it personally if they say no. Maybe explain that they are the only person you can really ask. How was your relationship with them at college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mdevil3
I am in kinda the same situation. I am in contact with my former tutor on Facebook, in fact a lot of us are but then again we were all mature students. I have asked her for a reference and it was fine. I would say go for it if you are prepared to not take it personally if they say no. Maybe explain that they are the only person you can really ask. How was your relationship with them at college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad your tutor said it was OK. I got in touch with mine and he was so lovely he said yes straight away, I did have to add him as a friend though because of Facebook's new updates!
Reply 11
See, not everyone is scared of the internet and adding people etc. if he knew you well enough from before there's no reason really for him to say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mdevil3
See, not everyone is scared of the internet and adding people etc. if he knew you well enough from before there's no reason really for him to say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup exactly! But I do see that sometimes people might be a bit wary of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending