The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PG593
It is quite worrying to see the UKCAT year on year rise in such a way, if this keeps up what's the national average going to be for 2016 applicants - 710? They should scrap this exam or they need to standardise it better so that the average is firmly set at 600 each time (the fact they say 600 is the average on their website is a joke, the average is not fluctuating, it's been increasing ever year since its inception!) I feel for many applicants like myself esp. last year when you have your UKCAT score but you have nothing to compare it to except the cycle before which is very misleading. It can be so confusing and this influences your decision making on choices, usually for the worse. Bottom line - this exam is losing its credibility the longer it goes on like this. I hope Pearson Vue and whomever creates this exam can see this from the simple statistics from cut-offs and average rises year on year.

All I can see coming out of it is a shift to the BMAT, I know Leeds are as of next year, I got 683 average last year and 4 rejections, 778 this year and I still can't trust that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woohoo application sent!
Queens, Glasgow, Newcastle and Dundee and Biochemistry in queens!
Now for the waiting game! :ahhhhh:
Original post by richtea5
twas 628.75, the documents out there somewhere but I know the total increased by 128 this year.

Also hows everyone feeling bout there UKCAT? My 702.5 is pretty borderline for TSR but I'm still (and despite the increase) happy with it - not gonna change choices :s

Just out of curiosity, where else did you apply? I have the exact same average as you... and I am slightly freaked :s-smilie:

Original post by PG593
It is quite worrying to see the UKCAT year on year rise in such a way, if this keeps up what's the national average going to be for 2016 applicants - 710? They should scrap this exam or they need to standardise it better so that the average is firmly set at 600 each time (the fact they say 600 is the average on their website is a joke, the average is not fluctuating, it's been increasing ever year since its inception!) I feel for many applicants like myself esp. last year when you have your UKCAT score but you have nothing to compare it to except the cycle before which is very misleading. It can be so confusing and this influences your decision making on choices, usually for the worse. Bottom line - this exam is losing its credibility the longer it goes on like this. I hope Pearson Vue and whomever creates this exam can see this from the simple statistics from cut-offs and average rises year on year.

Hear, hear!!

I could not agree more with your post. Absolutely hit the nail on the head, the test is bullshëize.

I do think that the average will continue rising till about 700-720, and then it will fluctuate... and maybe that will be better for future applicants?
I think they do, to an extent. Well, they're used to re-applicants I suppose.
I'm think it's a combination of the added maturity, more strategic applications, grades in hand, better interview technique etc. that re-applicants have to offer, but it's certainly a more favourable position (chances of an offer wise) than being a first time applicant.

I only had the one interview in my first year of applying, and it went abysmally. However, I think it taught me an awful lot and I improved tenfold the second time round. Possibly because the issue the first time was nerves more than anything, but when I re-applied I thought 'sod it' and just went for it :tongue:

It's still a fairly stressful time though. It would be interesting seeing it from a parents' (ie, your) perspective. I felt I dealt with it a lot better the second time round, but my parents told me I wasn't particularly nice to be around when the interviews starting coming out!
I hadn't even noticed.
I agree with pretty much everything you've just said. I think the re-applicants on this thread probably already know about the 'applying to where you have a best chance of interview', but it does make a massive difference. That was my mistake the first time round.

I'm hoping I can get involved in some way one year with interviews; the first year, at my interview, there was a current student sitting in on the interview. Maybe to give a second opinion, as they didn't say anything, but at Dundee they had 3rd/4th year students running a few of the MMI stations. We don't do MMI here, but I thought it was a nice touch.

Anyway, I'm off to revise now as I've an exam next Monday. Again, best of luck to your son (and everyone else on this thread) - and if any re-applicants want any advice w.r.t. interviews etc (probably won't happen for at least another month, but hey), just shout :smile:
With the UKCAT national average of 660, Where do you guys think it is most wise to apply to. Unfortunately I got 665 :frown:
I am thinking of Sheffield, St Georges, UEA, Bristol, Brighton
Does Brighton place a greater emphasis on UKCAT than UEA?
I asked Sheffield a few days ago and they said if your UKCAT is normally above 650 they will consider.
Original post by _sparks
With the UKCAT national average of 660, Where do you guys think it is most wise to apply to. Unfortunately I got 665 :frown:
I am thinking of Sheffield, St Georges, UEA, Bristol, Brighton
Does Brighton place a greater emphasis on UKCAT than UEA?
I asked Sheffield a few days ago and they said if your UKCAT is normally above 650 they will consider.

Unis won't make a UKCAT cut off based on the national average, they will base it on the applicant scores they receive.
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Unis won't make a UKCAT cut off based on the national average, they will base it on the applicant scores they receive.

Thanks. Do you know which unis place a great emphasis for the UKCAT from the ones I mentioned in my previous post?
And what would you reccomend for me with 650: Brighton or UEA?
Reply 2628
Original post by _sparks
Thanks. Do you know which unis place a great emphasis for the UKCAT from the ones I mentioned in my previous post?

Not sure about UEA but Brighton use the UKCAT after they've interviewed you to differentiate between close candidates.
Original post by _sparks

None of them place a large emphasis on UKCAT but I believe Sheffield have a cut off of 650.

650, I would go with Brighton but if the rest of your app is strong, then UEA.
None of them place a large emphasis on UKCAT but I believe Sheffield have a cut off of 650.

650, I would go with Brighton but if the rest of your app is strong, then UEA.

Yes the rest of my application I beleive it to be strong.
A Level: A*AA
GCSE: 8A* 1B 2C
So shall I stick with UEA?
Also do you think Sheffields cut off would change this year?
Reply 2631
Which schools put much emphasis on personal statement(experiences and activities) and academics? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by _sparks
Yes the rest of my application I beleive it to be strong.
A Level: A*AA
GCSE: 8A* 1B 2C
So shall I stick with UEA?
Also do you think Sheffields cut off would change this year?

If those As are in English and maths then stick with UEA.

Well I'm not too sure as I'm not applying to Sheffield, best to ask in the Sheffield thread.
Anyone else feeling deflated after seeing the ukcat average sky rocket? Regretting applying to Newcastle now lol 723 is not even the top decile anymore haha probably not even good enough for their cut off. *sigh*

Please not 4 more pre interview rejections lol

[SIZE="1"]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE
I'm scared ****less for Manchester!! How high do you think their cut offs are going to be?? I only got 687!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2635
[QUOTE="ibbyb94;44800847"]Anyone else feeling deflated after seeing the ukcat average sky rocket? Regretting applying to Newcastle now lol 723 is not even the top decile anymore haha probably not even good enough for their cut off. *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE

I'm with you on that one :redface: Besides Newcastle where else have you applied?
Sent off my application an hour ago, so relieved! Kinda worrying about this increase in UKCAT though :frown:
[QUOTE="ibbyb94;44800847"]Anyone else feeling deflated after seeing the ukcat average sky rocket? Regretting applying to Newcastle now lol 723 is not even the top decile anymore haha probably not even good enough for their cut off. *sigh*

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE

Original post by SuziieB
I'm scared ****less for Manchester!! How high do you think their cut offs are going to be?? I only got 687!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be close considering if the average has gone up by 30 points cut-offs previously have risen abit more than the national average
Original post by richtea5
noice, i'm still waiting for my referee to say hes sent my reference. I applied soton and HYMS as well. Both look pretty awesome :smile:
where's your 'top' place? probs guaranteed interview for HYMS?

Ah right, good luck, it'll be all sent soon!
Yeah Soton is my favourite uni, I went to the 2012 open day and loved it but didn't apply last year as thought my previous UKCAT wouldn't get me an offer!
With HYMS, I'm madly hoping for an interview - unless their policy changes, I should be guaranteed one, yeah!
I'm just desperate for interviews at any medschool haha!
Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If those As are in English and maths then stick with UEA.

Well I'm not too sure as I'm not applying to Sheffield, best to ask in the Sheffield thread.

Yeah they are. Though for English it was a resit, but they're okay with that. Thanks man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending