The Student Room Group

How did you choose your maths modules?

For the fellow 'normal' Alevel mathematicians, like myself, how did you you choose your FM and/or AFM modules?
Especially if they were self taught? I mean you don't know the content unless you study it!

Scroll to see replies

I didn't get to choose...
Original post by FireGarden
I didn't get to choose...

Ah, fair enough.
I'm hoping though that someone did choose.
A lot of people on here do selfteach.
Reply 3
Original post by keromedic
Ah, fair enough.
I'm hoping though that someone did choose.
A lot of people on here do selfteach.

Anything in particular you'd like to do at University ? What other subjects do you do apart from Maths /Fm
Original post by bijesh12
Anything in particular you'd like to do at University ? What other subjects do you do apart from Maths /Fm

I also do Chemistry, Biology and Music.
Why?
Reply 5
I also do Chemistry, Biology and Music.
Why?

Sorry I didn't read the post lol.. I thought you were seeking advice on how to choose modules. Anyway i chose my modules based on my other subjects and what i wanted to do at uni
To teach I thought "Which units will : (1) Interest the pupils (2) Be most suitable the vast majority of a cohort in year 12 and then year 13 given their maths ability (3) Make me want to get all excited about doing the unit (4) Allow for the best results"

On Edexcel my choices would be:

Maths to a non further cohort
C1-4
D1 y12
M1 y13

Further Maths
FP1, FP2
Get someone else to do S1 (as I can't get excited about it and don't think it's a great hello to FM in y12)
Get someone else to do D2 (as I don't teach it)
M2,S2
Reply 7
Original post by m4ths/maths247
To teach I thought "Which units will : (1) Interest the pupils (2) Be most suitable the vast majority of a cohort in year 12 and then year 13 given their maths ability (3) Make me want to get all excited about doing the unit (4) Allow for the best results"

On Edexcel my choices would be:

Maths to a non further cohort
C1-4
D1 y12
M1 y13

Further Maths
FP1, FP2
Get someone else to do S1 (as I can't get excited about it and don't think it's a great hello to FM in y12)
Get someone else to do D2 (as I don't teach it)
M2,S2

Stats is the best but probability is 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My favourites were S3, S4 and M5. I preferred FP3 out of the FPs, since it was the easiest.
Stats is the best but probability is

I have to do a probability course on my compsci degree, and I'd pay my tuition fees twice-over to go back to A-level probability!
Reply 9
Original post by Jooooshy
My favourites were S3, S4 and M5. I preferred FP3 out of the FPs, since it was the easiest.

I have to do a probability course on my compsci degree, and I'd pay my tuition fees twice-over to go back to A-level probability!

Lol I hate it it's been on my trail for 3 years of my degree and I Hate it with a a passion. I just seem to know the probability of getting heads on a coin, nothing more

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stats is the best but probability is ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last time I suffered from insomnia the Doctor pulled an S1 book from under his table and said "Give it 1 page and you will never count a sheep again"
Reply 11
For the fellow 'normal' Alevel mathematicians, like myself, how did you you choose your FM and/or AFM modules?
Especially if they were self taught? I mean you don't know the content unless you study it!

You definitely didnt do OCR MEI then! Our FP3 is multivariable calculus, vector geometry, markov chains, differential geometry and group theory

What board did you do and what were the topics if u remember?
Reply 12
i picked C1-4 M1-4 S1-4 FP1-3 D1 NM DE (MEI)

I wanted to do all the pure/mech/stats because im applying to maths at uni so i wanted some actual maths that was more challenging, like taking M4 instead of D2 ( my teacher insisted I did D1 )

DE is very useful for uni maths so if ur on MEI i would advise u take it
I think

C1-4
FP1-FP3
M1-2
S1-2
D1-2

Choose the best 12

Unless you hate Stats in which case do more Mechanics
Reply 14
Original post by IceKidd
You definitely didnt do OCR MEI then! Our FP3 is multivariable calculus, vector geometry, markov chains, differential geometry and group theory

What board did you do and what were the topics if u remember?

No, I did AQA, although that sounds interesting! No number theory across the whole AQA A-level! Topics were differential equations, approximative methods and polar coordinates..
Original post by IceKidd
i picked C1-4 M1-4 S1-4 FP1-3 D1 NM DE (MEI)

I wanted to do all the pure/mech/stats because im applying to maths at uni so i wanted some actual maths that was more challenging, like taking M4 instead of D2 ( my teacher insisted I did D1 )

DE is very useful for uni maths so if ur on MEI i would advise u take it

Lovin D.E atm it's not that bad either just remembering all the complimentary functions and see how it would be way more helpful than any decision maths lol, but the coursework is horrible tbh... Yeah our FP3 is insane especially compared to FP2. I like group theory though.. What's s3/4 like I decided I had enough after S2 number crunching was doing my head in.
Reply 16
No, I did AQA, although that sounds interesting! No number theory across the whole AQA A-level! Topics were differential equations, approximative methods and polar coordinates..

yeah tbh it is good its interesting and in the beginning opf the book it says it starts to cover the begginings of maths uni first year. we have a DE module as well and cover approximative methods in NM and polar coords in fp2 haha!
Reply 17
Original post by ChildishHambino
Lovin D.E atm it's not that bad either just remembering all the complimentary functions and see how it would be way more helpful than any decision maths lol, but the coursework is horrible tbh... Yeah our FP3 is insane especially compared to FP2. I like group theory though.. What's s3/4 like I decided I had enough after S2 number crunching was doing my head in.

Yeah DE is sick...we havent gotten round to coursework yet though. have you started yours. with FP3 Im doing multivariable calculus atm. Our FP2 seems to cover most boards FP2 and FP3 haaha! S3 is good and actually interesting, alot less hypothesis testing stuff and now stuff like expectation algebra...actually use a fair bit of calculus woot!

M4 though.....its a big book of calculus in mechanics :headbang:
Original post by IceKidd
Yeah DE is sick...we havent gotten round to coursework yet though. have you started yours. with FP3 Im doing multivariable calculus atm. Our FP2 seems to cover most boards FP2 and FP3 haaha! S3 is good and actually interesting, alot less hypothesis testing stuff and now stuff like expectation algebra...actually use a fair bit of calculus woot!

M4 though.....its a big book of calculus in mechanics :headbang:

Yeah, the experiment was pretty fun because there were lots of us but the write up is boring and mostly independent unlike the C3 coursework. Haven't started much FP3 yet because we are learning FP2 and 3 together and then still got mechanics 3 to look forward too. We don't get up to M4 :frown: i've skimmed through a couple of books though and it just seems like it's so applied that its pure. I can't stand reading off those grimy formula tables for stats, hurts your eyes man!
Reply 19
Original post by ChildishHambino
Yeah, the experiment was pretty fun because there were lots of us but the write up is boring and mostly independent unlike the C3 coursework. Haven't started much FP3 yet because we are learning FP2 and 3 together and then still got mechanics 3 to look forward too. We don't get up to M4 :frown: i've skimmed through a couple of books though and it just seems like it's so applied that its pure. I can't stand reading off those grimy formula tables for stats, hurts your eyes man!

yeah m4 is really so pure, more so than something like C4 trust me!

Ahh do u actually have to do an experiment hahah! C3 cwk was really easy...is it harder to get good marks in do you think? Have you done and got a mark back yet? A-level stats seems like it is a bit too focused on hypothesis testing...much more so than it should be, even in S4 though there is moment generating functions(uni maths ting) !!!

We havent even started fp2 yet haha (Ive had to get through like half of it myself already)! I have to selfstudy S3/S4, M4 FP3. My class is still doing C4, I just do STEP in those lessons as I still have to attend -.-

Quick Reply

Latest