The Student Room Group

Is so much easier for a man to have an attractive body..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TotoMimo
I personally think this is an erroneous view.

Men are obliged to have a lower body fat percentage to look "acceptable". In every fable, tome and story, the perfect male form is powerful, structured, sculpted with a chisel-like detail to his features.

Having experienced both ends of the spectrum, both overweight and fatally underweight, I can state that this is not achievable for some men genetically. I am now nine and a half stones, and have been as low as six and a half stones (through a terrifyingly gripping mental disorder). Though I continuously exercised, I was not able to "sculpt" myself as some men can. This is simply a genetic ideal.

Remember that up until this century the "ideal" frame for a woman was voluptuous, curved and stocky, to indicate they were fertile and energetic. It's only through a very strict mental conditioning nowadays that women seem to believe they should be a size 10; this is literally only 80-90 years old as a tenet and birthed through propaganda and media pressure.

Humans have been in existence for a significant amount of time now, and in all diagrams the males are depicted as incredibly fatless, sculpted muscular statuesque hunters, whilst the women is depicted as an hourglass, beautiful symbol of fertility.

I would say that nowadays, the burden is equal, but not in a good way. Especially not given the circumstances of real life. Men do not have to spear boars any longer; rather their hunter instinct is to shepherd formulae into excel spreadsheets in their office jobs. To expect they'd have a hunter's physique from this level of exertion is pretty much insanity. The only reason a male would appear this way is through the artificial change of his body type (ie, over-exerting at the gym). In the same breath, this notion a woman should be skinny is COMPLETELY counter-productive to who she is as a person, an organism; a WOMAN - the entire point of being a woman is to be an emotional, caring, nurturing individual with the ability to bear another human with all the love and nourishment her body can handle.

Is that your view of what a woman is or are you just saying how women are seen because that description of a woman is bullcrap. You seem to have adjusted your description of a male to a more accurate/real one but have left women in the past lol. (sorry if Ive mistaken wht you've said).

All that emotional, caring stuff is nothing more than a gender label.. based on women in the past from a restricted society. In reality men can be more or less as emotional and caring as women and more and more women are turning to sports/weightlifting etc (activities which were once considered male only).

Both skinny women and large women can bring up a baby so I dont think that being skinny is counterproductive. Look at female athletes, you certainly don't need excess fat to give birth or feed a child.

Id be ashamed to think that my whole point of being is to be emotional and caring. Id much rather have the historical male role and go out to hunt/fight lol.

I can see your point about the burden of attractiveness being equal for both.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by civilstudent
Is that your view of what a woman is or are you just saying how women are seen because that description of a woman is bullcrap. You seem to have adjusted your description of a male to a more accurate/real one but have left women in the past lol. (sorry if Ive mistaken wht you've said).

All that emotional, caring stuff is nothing more than a gender label.. based on women in the past from a restricted society. In reality men can be more or less as emotional and caring as women and more and more women are turning to sports/weightlifting etc (activities which were once considered male only).

Both skinny women and large women can bring up a baby so I dont think that being skinny is counterproductive. Look at female athletes, you certainly don't need excess fat to give birth or feed a child.

Id be ashamed to think that my whole point of being is to be emotional and caring. Id much rather have the historical male role and go out to hunt/fight lol.

I think we've discovered the reason why you created this thread. You're envious of males. You wish you were a male. You don't like the stereotypical roles and looks of a female, so you lift heavy weights and cut your hair short. You should get a sex change. It's the only way to solve this.
Original post by Bassetts
I think we've discovered the reason why you created this thread. You're envious of males. You wish you were a male. You don't like the stereotypical roles and looks of a female, so you lift heavy weights and cut your hair short. You should get a sex change. It's the only way to solve this.

lol you like to think Im envious so you jump to wrong conclusions more like. Im fine with being female and I like to be fit/lift weights and be physically active like tons of other females. Im also not that emotional neither are plenty of females.

There are also tons of males who hate working out and are very emotional/caring (I know as they were on my nursing course lol) so why would I want to be a male when these days 99 percent of activities are not gender specific? Gender stereotypes have almost faded these days that was my point.
dumbest thread 2k13
lol you like to think Im envious so you jump to wrong conclusions more like. Im fine with being female and I like to be fit/lift weights and be physically active like tons of other females. Im also not that emotional neither are plenty of females.

There are also tons of males who hate working out and are very emotional/caring (I know as they were on my nursing course lol) so why would I want to be a male when these days 99 percent of activities are not gender specific? Gender stereotypes have almost faded these days that was my point.

It begs the question..Why did you start this thread? Go be happy being yourself...you can't change the way other people feel or what they feel attracted to. Your body type I do not find attractive as a generalisation but everyone is different. The obsession with how we look in the 21st Century has become nauseating...as has this thread :rolleyes:

One other point that you seem to have missed is that being skinny is actually associated with infertility. Athletes, ballet dancers and gymnasts are all known to have well above average difficulty with conception. Their periods often stop as their body weight and in particularly their body fat ratio drops too low. So much of the previous posts were correct...men were never 'designed' to sit in an office all day..and women certainly weren't designed to go the gym but hey this is the 21Century and you get to choose but don't be surprised when people still have desires around voluptuous females, etc...at a deeper level it is associated with fertility.
Reply 166
just gonna unsubscribe from this pointless thread. Its obvious to me OP has posted this in a subtle / or not attempt to suggest being a man is just better and she would rather be a man cuz they dont have to "work so hard".
Original post by bertstare
dumbest thread 2k13

I know I thought it would only get like 6 replies:s-smilie: Look at all replies its had but it is in the fitness forum which is full of testosterone fueled ppl who love a bit of contradiction:tongue:
Original post by sallyangel
One other point that you seem to have missed is that being skinny is actually associated with infertility. Athletes, ballet dancers and gymnasts are all known to have well above average difficulty with conception. Their periods often stop as their body weight and in particularly their body fat ratio drops too low. So much of the previous posts were correct...men were never 'designed' to sit in an office all day..and women certainly weren't designed to go the gym but hey this is the 21Century and you get to choose but don't be surprised when people still have desires around voluptuous females, etc...at a deeper level it is associated with fertility.

Ive missed being skinny being associated with infertility because its not relevent. By skinny I meant slim not starvation mode, being underweight and overtraining can affect the fertility of both males and females. Elite athletes have very intense training schedules which can lead to all sorts of injuries/low fertlity/low testosterone in males you could argue that no humans males or females were 'designed' to push themselves this much. Just because people get problems from over training it does not indicate that people are not designed to exercise lol. It will sometimes affect periods, muscles etc if over done but most women, myself included, who train hard do not have period/fertility problems as a result of training. Men are naturally stronger so they are more designed to carry out heavy/physical tasks but this doesn't mean that the opposite gender are designed to be unfit and sit around all day as you seem to put across.

voluptuous females being attractive.. this is going back to the 'does curvy mean fat or not' argument. Obviously everyone likes different but from what Ive gathered in general a slim/toned figure with good sized breasts and bum is what seems to be the general ideal. I have lara croft in mind:tongue: Only men can confirm this though.

Original post by sallyangel
women certainly weren't designed to go the gym

Post a thread stating this, I dare you:tongue:
men+vs+women.jpg

This is obviously an oversimplification but was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread.

You could say that women require more beneficial genetics to have a nice body, ie tall, big boobs etc.

However its not just as easy as just working out for a guy, genetics play a part in getting a good body.
Reply 170
Jesus, I do not agree with this...

OP, put some effort in.
Original post by Rugby234
Jesus, I do not agree with this...

OP, put some effort in.

The original post.. Ive already been persuaded that males have it just as hard from reading all the replies. Thats what I asked for opinions and different viewpoints and I got them.
Reply 172
The original post.. Ive already been persuaded that males have it just as hard from reading all the replies. Thats what I asked for opinions and different viewpoints and I got them.

My bad! What made you have that idea in the first place anyway?
Original post by yaboy
For your average girl it would take 3/4 months to reach their desired flat toned stomach, thin legs etc

for guys it takes about 5 years to reach the level of muscular size they want from when they first start off.

Unless a women wants to look like a female body builder then her goals are not the same as a mans

Completely disagree. When a woman exercises to lower her body fat, especially if she is naturally curvy then she is working against nature to achieve this. There is no such thing as 'your average girl' as there are more variants of female body types than males; a woman with thick hips and thighs will find it extremely difficult to achieve slim legs and they will almost never be classed as thin whereas some women are more straight and naturally lean.

Men do have to work hard to achieve a muscular physique - don't get me wrong - but they are working with nature as men's bodies are predisposed to building and maintaining muscle. Plus you mention 5 years to reach his goal but you assume that a man's goal for his own body is the same as what women find attractive. Most women are happy to have an average physique without defined muscles and some even prefer skinnier or chunky guys. Men don't have to look like an adonis just like women don't have to look like a bikini model.
My bad! What made you have that idea in the first place anyway?

well I told the story in another post basically it came from an experience. I was in the gym and there was this other woman working out with a large chest, she got chatted up by this dude who was glaring at her chest. Not that I wanted to be chatted up at the time but it made me think it must be easier being a guy...if you lift/workout put some effort in you gain muscle and voila. Then I thought if you are a female with no chest effort won't get you anywhere if one of the main sexual attractive features is the chest.

But its not as simple as this and people pointed out that females can rely on makeup, clothes etc which is true. Plus it was pointed out that not all guys have the genetics/body structure to get a great body despite putting in effort..im not sure about this one as I thought anyone could tone/put on muscle with effort but the men will know more than me about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 175
well I told the story in another post basically it came from an experience. I was in the gym and there was this other woman working out with a large chest, she got chatted up by this dude who was glaring at her chest. Not that I wanted to be chatted up at the time but it made me think it must be easier being a guy...if you lift/workout put some effort in you gain muscle and voila. Then I thought if you are a female with no chest effort won't get you anywhere if one of the main sexual attractive features is the chest.

But its not as simple as this and people pointed out that females can rely on makeup, clothes etc which is true. Plus it was pointed out that not all guys have the genetics/body structure to get a great body despite putting in effort..im not sure about this one as I thought anyone could tone/put on muscle with effort but the men will know more than me about it.

Ofcourse everyone is different as you say, so people have varying difficulties to 'look good'.

Your point about flat chested is bs, because if you like a girl enough and you're not a 16yr boy, that won't change anything.
Original post by Nomes89
Completely disagree. When a woman exercises to lower her body fat, especially if she is naturally curvy then she is working against nature to achieve this. There is no such thing as 'your average girl' as there are more variants of female body types than males; a woman with thick hips and thighs will find it extremely difficult to achieve slim legs and they will almost never be classed as thin whereas some women are more straight and naturally lean.

Im not sure about working against nature Id say working against her usual urge to eat. I agree though I have thick thighs and with training (light weights/running) they certainly don't get slimmer if anything they tend to increase in size with what I only hope is muscle lol.
I don't think it's easy for men or women (but nothing worth having ever is :wink:)

I find the hardest part is lowering your body fat %, no matter how strong your core is or how much time you spend on it, you'll never see your abs if they're concealed behind a layer of flab
Ofcourse everyone is different as you say, so people have varying difficulties to 'look good'.

Your point about flat chested is bs, because if you like a girl enough and you're not a 16yr boy, that won't change anything.

The flat chested stuff is not my bs its based on the bs of many men who claim to dribble over big breasts, of course its probably not a significant factor for most men expecially in a relationship.
Im not sure about working against nature Id say working against her usual urge to eat. I agree though I have thick thighs and with training (light weights/running) they certainly don't get slimmer if anything they tend to increase in size with what I only hope is muscle lol.

When I say working against nature I mean women are more predisposed to fat storage so if you're trying to lose fat you're effectively working against what your body does naturally which is why women can do a lot of weights without building significant muscle like men do. I wouldn't say women have more of an urge to eat - that 'urge' is what both men and women have due to eating too much processed sugars which leads to these cravings.

Quick Reply

Latest