The Student Room Group

Why we've switched off neg rep

Hi everyone

If you’ve spent much time in this forum (news, Help & Feedback), you’ll know that the rep system receives a lot of discussion, especially neg rep, which is one of the least popular features of TSR.

The risk of receiving neg rep can put people off asking questions or sharing their views, it can make certain forums uninviting to people who have built up positive reputation with helpful and well thought out posts, it can prevent people from voicing what they feel may be an unpopular opinion, it upsets people, and worst of all it’s been cited as a tool for bullying.

So we switched it off. Your existing rep won’t be affected, and you can still give and receive positive rep as usual. Over the next three months, with your help, we’ll assess the impact of this change. If it’s not proven to be positive, we’ll look at this again and consider alternatives.

TSR is the biggest educational website in the UK, and the biggest online student community, and has helped countless students and young people make important choices in their lives. We’re proud of you all for playing a part in that, and we hope that you’ll help TSR continue to go from strength to strength. So if you see a post you disagree with, instead of giving neg rep you can voice your disagreement in a constructive way. If you want the good posts to stand out from the not-so-good, give positive rep to great posts. If you see a post that breaks the rules, hit the report button and we’ll deal with it.

Thanks for your help, and we hope you enjoy a new, more positive TSR :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
trolls will have a field day :rolleyes:
Let the trolling begin!
(edited 10 years ago)
No more rep wars between certain users :biggrin:
I thought I was going mad wondering where the neg rep sign had gone!

Not sure what I think about this :hmmmm2:
Reply 5
Brilliant, now people can talk freely without being hassled by a wave of attacks
Reply 6
That used to be the case 3 years ago before it got removed as some people used to use it as a way to target users :sadnod: it was also good ye to disco gems :moon:
Original post by SecretDuck
No more rep wars between certain users :biggrin:

Indeed :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by ddaappoo
trolls will have a field day :rolleyes:

Neg rep is a badge of honour to a troll. They don't see it as a negative. Therefore the rep system in its previous incarnation was fundamentally flawed.
Interesting. ...:holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Wondered where my little fav red button had gone lol :rolleyes:
Original post by cpdavis
That used to be the case 3 years ago before it got removed as some people used to use it as a way to target users :sadnod: it was also good ye to disco gems :moon:

Oh right. I just figured that people wouldn't be bothered to go on ppl's profiles to neg them if that was the only option.
Reply 12
Original post by keromedic
Well this will certainly be more interesting. I just hope that trolls don't take this as a reason to be more scandalous. At least this means I can post more freely. I generally only pos rep anyway, so shouldn't make mush a difference to me :biggrin:

As ever, if you see members trolling or making abusive or other rule-breaking posts, please report them to the moderation team by using the report button.
Reply 13
Excellent :biggrin:

Though it will take sometime to get used to :smile:
This is great, now some subs won't get pissed if someone negs them :mmm:
I thought the majority of the TSR populace was in fact uni students and grads? I.e young adults (20+)?
Indeed :teehee:
Glad neg rep is gone. Hopefully, it will encourage people to be nicer to each other :smile:
Reply 18
I thought the majority of the TSR populace was in fact uni students and grads? I.e young adults (20+)?

The modal age I think is 16-17. :holmes:

True as this may be, many of those over 20 act like kids, so the whole thing's kinda blurred :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending