The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Look forward to the scrapping through the group stage against crap opposition, and BBC/ITV making it out to be a real achievement, before a 2nd round/QF exit against a half decent country like Italy/Uruguay.

If we have any sense we'll send a very young side out with Barkley, Wilshere, AOC, Townsend all starting. At least it'll set us up for long term improvement.
(edited 10 years ago)
:biggrin: good good!

Best england game in a while to be fair.. - not performance wise, which was good in the first (though shaky defensivly..) But just because it was the most entertaining england game in a while!

Now onto the WC!

Would really like to see england get an exciting group.. some properly good games, against some top teams.. - lets be honest, if we are going to win, we will need a miricle.. so may as well do it against the best!

What I would hate is a few awful teams in the groups, all playing defensivly.. then to get knocked out by a mid-range team in the final 16..

Gives us some cracking group games, and either be done with it, or win in glory!

(I guess being in pot-2 will help this :biggrin: )
Get in there boys.

Gerrard being asked to play 90 minutes in the Brazil heat could have some hilarious consequences for the team's tempo :tongue:
Baines MOTM.
so thats:

Belgium, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Russia, Bosnia-Herzgovina, England, Spain

Into the finals..

And:

Croatia, sweeden, Romania, Iceland, Portugal, Greece, France, Ukraine,
(by my reckoning.. though not sure on the team that misses out..)

Into the play-offs..

Some strong teams still to qualify in france, portugal and sweeden..

Though I would love to see Iceland in the WC finals :biggrin:
I just realised nice to see Roy Keane clean shaved after that absolute mess last week
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
If we have any sense we'll send a very young side out with Barkley, Wilshere, AOC, Townsend all starting. At least it'll set us up for long term improvement.
Exactly, and this WC would be perfect, we realistically can't do anything, probably not even have a good run. Nothing to lose by blooding a young England squad, get them playing the correct way, and take a team with a personality to the Euros and build up to Russia rather than have a load of last chance saloon players shaping the squad, then leaving a gaping hole ready for the next challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5-3 germany vs denmark... sounds like a cracking game! wish I had watched it...
Original post by doggyfizzel
Exactly, and this WC would be perfect, we realistically can't do anything, probably not even have a good run. Nothing to lose by blooding a young England squad, get them playing the correct way, and take a team with a personality to the Euros and build up to Russia rather than have a load of last chance saloon players shaping the squad, then leaving a gaping hole ready for the next challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a country of England's size the goal must be to win the WC either in the short term or the long term. Since we have no hope in the ST it makes sense to use the WC as an educational tool for another tournament. English media dont help, they want a story and if a youthful English side were eliminated in the 2nd round there would be a bloodbath whereas RH knows that using Lamps etc one more time to scrape a QF will be enough to put some kind of spin on it. This is the mentality of a side going nowhere.

We'll play basically the same England midfield that was disgraced against Italy at Euro 2012 and they're even worse now, something is very wrong with that.

Sturridge
Rooney
AOC Barkley/Wilshere Gerrard Townsend
Baines Cahill Jagielka Johnson
Hart

At least that team has the potential to cause teams problems. better than watching Lampard etc huff and puff surely?
(edited 10 years ago)
when will they do the fixtures for the play offs?

Cheering on Iceland to go through!
Reply 8510
Lampard should be nowhere near the first team in the finals. Take some risks for ****s sake, not like we're going to win anyway but at least we'll be giving the younger lads a chance.
Reply 8511
Original post by The Assassin
Want to see Carrick + JW at one point tbh.

Same. I rate Carrick, good at keeping the ball.
I don't think I can handle coming onto the football subforum with no power to neg rep :frown:
Reply 8513
Job done. I cannot wait for the draw. In other news, I didn't think it was possible but ITV's football coverage reached new lows today when Clive Tyldesley stated "Townsend was born in the same hospital as David Beckham, remember!" not once but twice within the 90 minutes.
If rankings stay the same, there's potentially a Portugal vs France play-off.. mouthwatering.
On a serious note what is special about Townsend?
Reply 8516
Original post by Kruz

He is not special per se, just better than who else we have on the right based on form.
Reply 8517
Original post by Kruz

Are you serious? Were you even watching the last 2 games?

To name but a few things:
He actually gets past players and gets decent crosses in unlike other players who just take it to the by-line and attempt to get a corner. He looks constantly threatening. Has played some really good passes in to open things up and can also take things into the centre and feed players/control the game. Can shoot with both feet and looks dangerous with his shots. He's also rapid. He offers more than a lot of our other options on the wing. Also at just 22 he's a nice prospect for the future.

----

Have to say the last 2 matches have been really positive for England. Best attacking play I've seen from them in a long time. Defensively, we're still a bit dodgy, but if we're scoring more goals than conceding, then I guess it's not all that bad! Front four of townsend, rooney, sturridge and welbeck linked up really nicely today. Sturridge made a few poor choices, but still looked ok. Welbeck is never going to be a high-scorer, but he helped the others well.
As a Mancunian Manchester United supporter... I'm about a strong a'swimmer as they come when swimming through the ocean of hate, doubt and envy....

And it's no different being English...

Belgium? Don't make me laugh...

Benteke? Lukaku? More goal scoring potential than Rooney and Sturridge? YOU MUST BE SMOKING CRACK.

Fellaini, Nainggolan? Witsel? Stronger midfield than Gerrard, Lampard and Wilshere? GET AWAY FROM ME!

Mirallas better than Walcott on the right? He doesn't even compare to Townsend who is on absolute fire at the moment... Walcott in form is in another class.

Ok, Hazard, Kompany, Courtois, give credit where credit is due...

But add Baines, Hart, Cahill, Defoe, Walker, Richards, Carrick, Welbeck, etc etc... to the picture, and you see where this is going.

England won their WCQ group undefeated in one of the hardest groups (miles tougher than Belgiums group A for example), they are showing excellent form and Roy seems to have found his feet.

England by a clear mile are the most doubted and underrated team in the competition going into next year...

I have a feel we're going to shock the world in Brazil 2014.
(edited 10 years ago)
Did I seriously just see England play timewasting near the corner flag in the last minutes with a 2-0 lead?

Latest