The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Original post by womanonamission
Great! Me too.

I went to a general teacher training get together yesterday at the uni, approx 100 places for approx 700 applications - I didn't realise it was going to be so tough :frown:.

It is tough but there are two things to bear in mind:

-----Some people will fall at simple hurdles. Making applications to multiple age ranges. SPAG mistakes in their PS. Not having the minimum grades or experience. Not talking about their experience in their PS. So those people will make up a proportion of the 700. Then there are those who make similar simple mistakes at interview - wearing inappropriate clothing, not following instructions sent beforehand etc.

-----Not getting in one year doesn't mean the course/uni/career is not for you. It just means the uni decided you need to get more experience/maturity/skills etc for a little while and try again :smile:

xxx
Hiya I'm having a slight problem with the references for my application.

Basically, I have worked in a nursery for years and have since moved on to a primary school. I feel these two could provide me with much better references than a university lecturer could. Even though we had tutorials etc, I feel like they don't have enough personal knowledge of me to give me a really good reference. Would you maybe suggest contacting the unis I'm going to apply to directly?

Thanks xxx
Original post by sophiebath12

Basically, I have worked in a nursery for years and have since moved on to a primary school. I feel these two could provide me with much better references than a university lecturer could. Even though we had tutorials etc, I feel like they don't have enough personal knowledge of me to give me a really good reference. Would you maybe suggest contacting the unis I'm going to apply to directly?

Thanks xxx

We have to have two references so an academic and personal reference should be fine. :smile:
Reply 663
Original post by sophiebath12

Thanks xxx

In addition to what alabelle said above, one of the references has to be academic if you graduated within the last 5 years. This reference is not about knowing you (that's what the other one is for). It's about showing you have the academic skills needed to cope with a PGCE, so the main thing is that they have access to your grades. Hopefully they can also comment on your commitment through e.g. attendance, participation etc.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
It is tough but there are two things to bear in mind:

-----Some people will fall at simple hurdles. Making applications to multiple age ranges. SPAG mistakes in their PS. Not having the minimum grades or experience. Not talking about their experience in their PS. So those people will make up a proportion of the 700. Then there are those who make similar simple mistakes at interview - wearing inappropriate clothing, not following instructions sent beforehand etc.

-----Not getting in one year doesn't mean the course/uni/career is not for you. It just means the uni decided you need to get more experience/maturity/skills etc for a little while and try again :smile:

xxx

Aw thank you, how lovely of you to reply with such a lifting comment.

You are right though, and all I can do is give it my best shot (like all of us). This is what I want to do so if it takes longer than 1 year then it wasn't meant to be this year.

Positive thinking people, it counts for a lot :smile:

Thanks again, and good luck for your future. x
Reply 665
Can you use slight humour in your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 666
And can quotation marks be used? Would it seem too informal to quote something my dad used to say to me as a child..it is defo relevant to education

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you and the rest of you do during class experience?
Original post by Juichiro
Posted from TSR Mobile

What, you mean during the actual class? Most teachers have just let me sit at the back and observe, then I ask if I can take notes which is always fine. Sometimes I walk round the class and help or talk to the students about what work they're doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 669
Original post by Fabay
Can you use slight humour in your personal statement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Fabay
And can quotation marks be used? Would it seem too informal to quote something my dad used to say to me as a child..it is defo relevant to education

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the quote but in principle it's fine. Just remember words are limited so make the most of them!

For humour I'd steer clear for now, you never know what the sense of humour will be of the person reading. Don't get me wrong, a gsoh is important as a teacher! But the characters in your PS are so valuable I'd avoid it there, and be very careful with it at interview.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 670
Original post by kpwxx
It depends on the quote but in principle it's fine. Just remember words are limited so make the most of them!

For humour I'd steer clear for now, you never know what the sense of humour will be of the person reading. Don't get me wrong, a gsoh is important as a teacher! But the characters in your PS are so valuable I'd avoid it there, and be very careful with it at interview.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please Could I PM you the quote and section of the short paragraph? I just need an honest opinion from someone who doesn't know me. I'm not gonna send you my whole personal statement lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 671
Original post by Shelly_x
Just pointing out, just because they have placements near you does not mean you'll get them.

I understand that, my second choice uni has barely any within 20 miles of me, whereas the majority of the placements offered at Cardiff met are doable distance wise if you get me.
Ahhh I'm so not going to get on this year :frown: so pessimistic.
Original post by Airfairy
Ahhh I'm so not going to get on this year :frown: so pessimistic.

Shhhh, they're going to love our Politics remember :colone:
Since when did the website change to say November 21st as the date we can now apply?? :eek:
Original post by swarfliam
Shhhh, they're going to love our Politics remember :colone:

Well it's my fault really, because I'm applying for R.E with a politics degree so yeah... I didn't want to go a citizenship PGCE though. I bet you'll be fine with primary. Politics can bring a lot to that.

Since when did the website change to say November 21st as the date we can now apply?? :eek:

Woah woah woah. *checks* Good observation!!!

It doesn't exactly surprise me considering how behind they all seem.
(edited 10 years ago)

Ergh so annoying, I just to apply already!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 677

I've just seen this too. Not a happy puppy! I have so much work to do in that time, the 1st of Nov is a much better time. :frown:
Original post by Juichiro
Posted from TSR Mobile

I took groups of children for lessons, observed teaching, helped with groups, heard children read, read to the class and took a phonics lesson. But this was primary... might be different for secondary.

So annoyed the application date has changed! I was just getting everything sorted for it!
The application process is always behind for pgces unfortunately. Gttr always opened late and crashed, expect the same from this one.

Latest

Trending

Trending