The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Quarter finals at the WC puts you in the top 8 in the world and really there's few who can complain about that from an England perspective. The semis would be overachieving and the 2nd round under so it's a decent aim.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just joined the site. This is my first post.

Just wanted to say I am up for a playing for England :wink:.

Will be interestimg to see how my United boys do at the WC in Rio (without rio :tongue:)
Original post by bazookabrad
As a Mancunian Manchester United supporter... I'm about a strong a'swimmer as they come when swimming through the ocean of hate, doubt and envy....

And it's no different being English...

Belgium? Don't make me laugh...

Benteke? Lukaku? More goal scoring potential than Rooney and Sturridge? YOU MUST BE SMOKING CRACK.

Fellaini, Nainggolan? Witsel? Stronger midfield than Gerrard, Lampard and Wilshere? GET AWAY FROM ME!

Mirallas better than Walcott on the right? He doesn't even compare to Townsend who is on absolute fire at the moment... Walcott in form is in another class.

Ok, Hazard, Kompany, Courtois, give credit where credit is due...

But add Baines, Hart, Cahill, Defoe, Walker, Richards, Carrick, Welbeck, etc etc... to the picture, and you see where this is going.

England won their WCQ group undefeated in one of the hardest groups (miles tougher than Belgiums group A for example), they are showing excellent form and Roy seems to have found his feet.

England by a clear mile are the most doubted and underrated team in the competition going into next year...

I have a feel we're going to shock the world in Brazil 2014.

What have you got against Belgium?
First England game I've enjoyed in a long time. We were exciting to watch.
Original post by Kruz
On a serious note what is special about Townsend?

I think he played very well these last 2 games, and a lot of chances came through him. That said, he is rather predictable. In the 2nd-half, the full-back and centre-back knew what he was going to do every time (i.e. knock it past and run to the byline) and for the most part were able to react and cut it out. My worry is that for these 2 games, the opposition didn't really know what to expect from him.. Once he's played more games for England, teams may work him out and find it easier to keep him quiet. Still, a very good option to have.
These commentators are going on like as if Townsend is England's new saviour off the back of two games :s.
Original post by Midlander
Quarter finals at the WC puts you in the top 8 in the world and really there's few who can complain about that from an England perspective. The semis would be overachieving and the 2nd round under so it's a decent aim.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically it would also be over as we're ranked 17th in the world.
Original post by Zürich

Sturridge
Rooney
AOC Barkley/Wilshere Gerrard Townsend
Baines Cahill Jagielka Johnson
Hart

Why Gerrard? Surely if the point is to make the team better for Euro 2016 then he is pointless, he'll be 36...
Original post by manchesterunited15
Technically it would also be over as we're ranked 17th in the world.

We'll be ranked about 8th in the rankings that come out next week, which will stay much the same up until the World Cup.

Why Gerrard? Surely if the point is to make the team better for Euro 2016 then he is pointless, he'll be 36...

Whilst I agree that we should be looking beyond Gerrard now, he isn't exactly going to be dropped when he's captain. That said, I'm sure he'll lose captaincy after the World Cup whether he retires or not, so that the younger players can come through in midfield for Euro 2016.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think Gerrard will retire after the world cup - he knows he won't make it to Euro 2016 and it makes sense to retire when you're captain in a huge tournament than go out with a whimper with sub appearances in friendlies and qualifying games.

The games and injuries are starting to take a toll so it's either retire from internationals to prolong his club career or shorten both by overplaying.
You have to wonder who will play on the left flank at the world cup? I thought Welbeck got in some decent positions but his composure and touch on the ball were generally poor.

Should Townsend be shifted onto the left flank since he's left footed but seems to be somewhat double footed? We have a lot of options on the right flank so it's not an issue on that side?

Sturridge
Townsend Rooney Walcott
Carrick Gerrard
Baines Jagielka Cahill Johnson
Hart

Or you drop Sturridge for Wilshere and put Rooney up top?

Rooney
Townsend Wilshere Walcott
Carrick Gerrard
Baines Jagielka Cahill Johnson
Hart
Reply 8531
Still over half a year until the WC squads, have to admit Roy's recent ones don't fill me with hope though. :tongue:

Gerrard should still be there and he'll be captain, Rooney, Sturridge, Wilshere, Walcott, Baines, Cole, Johnson, Hart, there's a good team, it's just if they all play on form between now and then, the right team is picked (Ashley Young I'm looking at you) then they're more 'together' than at past world cups.
Wilshere behind the Main striker would be a disaster tbh

--------------------Hart----------------------------
Walker----Cahill--Jagielka----Baines------
--------------Carrick---Gerrard----------------
Walcott----------Rooney--------Townsend
--------------------Lambert-----------------------

Lambert on the 2 occasions hes played upfront has impressed me more than both welbeck and sturridge when playing for england

Based on current form, wilshere shouldn't be starting, but who's to say he wont improve when fit come the WC
Reply 8533
Original post by niceguy95
Wilshere behind the Main striker would be a disaster tbh

--------------------Hart----------------------------
Walker----Cahill--Jagielka----Baines------
--------------Carrick---Gerrard----------------
Walcott----------Rooney--------Townsend
--------------------Lambert-----------------------

Lambert on the 2 occasions hes played upfront has impressed me more than both welbeck and sturridge when playing for england

Based on current form, wilshere shouldn't be starting, but who's to say he wont improve when fit come the WC

Yep. Rooney as a second striker/No.10 would be very nice, what a player.
Way too early to be making squad and first XI predictions. So much will change in the next 6 months.
Reply 8535
Rickie Lambert should not be a starting England XI player. He looks like the type of guy who sits in Yates complaining about immigration. Welbeck, Rooney, Sturridge and Defoe are all much better finishers.
Carrick Gerrard
Walcott Rooney XXX
Sturridge.

You can't argue against any of them. As for the left, I'd back Wilshere IF Baines is on the left. This allows Wilshere to tuck inside.

That'd be my team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's captain. And even if you are focusing on youth you need one or two experienced heads so they dont lose their heads. But England are gonna do Gerrard+Lampard+Carrick
Original post by little_wizard123
Carrick Gerrard
Walcott Rooney XXX
Sturridge.

You can't argue against any of them. As for the left, I'd back Wilshere IF Baines is on the left. This allows Wilshere to tuck inside.

That'd be my team.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the 2 games he played this international break, none of them were standout, at times he struggled, imagine against better opposistion

In the 2 games Lambert played, he contributed to the Team
Original post by Zerforax
I think Gerrard will retire after the world cup - he knows he won't make it to Euro 2016 and it makes sense to retire when you're captain in a huge tournament than go out with a whimper with sub appearances in friendlies and qualifying games.

He's said he wants to break David Beckham's caps record for an outfield player, England will play a few friendlies before the World Cup which you'd expect him to take part in, so if they make it out of the group stage he would equal (or potentially better) it. That would be the perfect moment to retire.

I'll be amazed if he's still playing international football by Euro 2016.

Latest