The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by shamika
Just re-read that. How about apologising to the rest of us? :rolleyes:

PRSOM!
I thought it might be beneficial to do some MAT questions to brush up on some maths I haven't done in a while so I decided to have a go at the 2012 paper. Long story short, can somebody drop me a hint for dealing with the question?

I'm struggling to find out what the graph of the function sin(sin) would look like.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Khallil
I thought it might be beneficial to do some MAT questions to brush up on some maths I haven't done in a while so I decided to have a go at the 2012 paper. Long story short, can somebody drop me a hint for dealing with the question?

I'm struggling to find out what the graph of the function sin(sin) would look like.

You could easily find the roots and the stat. points in the usual manner (and determine the nature of these by considering the values the function takes near them separately) and get the sketch from there.

Alternatively, consider symmetry i.e. what happens if you look at the function from the "other end" of the interval from 0 to 2pi.

Spoiler

Reply 363
So I did the 2012 paper there in more or less timed conditions - I got 75/100. The average score of successful Oxford candidates that year was 68 - however, for Imperial, would this sort of score be likely to get me an offer? I'm assuming I'll need higher since I'm post A-level.
Reply 364
Original post by CD315
So I did the 2012 paper there in more or less timed conditions - I got 75/100. The average score of successful Oxford candidates that year was 68 - however, for Imperial, would this sort of score be likely to get me an offer? I'm assuming I'll need higher since I'm post A-level.

I did overhear my tutor at the Oxford open day telling someone who has just finished their A-Levels he'd want to see a higher score. If 75 was a good score on that paper for those admitted to Oxford, it only makes sense that would also be a good score for Imperial.
Reply 365
Original post by Noble.
I did overhear my tutor at the Oxford open day telling someone who has just finished their A-Levels he'd want to see a higher score. If 75 was a good score on that paper for those admitted to Oxford, it only makes sense that would also be a good score for Imperial.

I hope so. I've also been informed that Imperial actually don't require the MAT - a STEP offer can be used in replacement. I'm so confused with it all at the moment :lol:
Original post by shamika
Just re-read that. How about apologising to the rest of us? :rolleyes:

Why would I apologise to everyone? how does that offend you so? - Being narrow minded only hurts me.
Reply 367
Original post by CD315
I hope so. I've also been informed that Imperial actually don't require the MAT - a STEP offer can be used in replacement. I'm so confused with it all at the moment :lol:

Email Imperial and ask whether doing MAT effectively gives you a 'double-shot' at getting an offer. To be honest, if I were you I would sit MAT; you have a shot at doing well and effectively that'll give you an unconditional offer if you get it right on the day.

I absolutely agree that their admissions webpage should've been written more clearly as I also got the wrong end of the stick (until I read it all the way through).

Original post by nahomyemane778
Why would I apologise to everyone? how does that offend you so? - Being narrow minded only hurts me.

For every mindless comment you make which annoys me, the less inclined I am to try to help everyone else. Basic decency would suggest that if you make a comment which you no longer stand by, the least you can do is to apologise.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shamika

For every mindless comment you make which annoys me, the less inclined I am to try to help everyone else. Basic decency would suggest that if you make a comment which you no longer stand by, the least you can do is to apologise.

no.
Is anyone else here really struggling with the longer questions? I seem to getting more or less full marks in all of the multiple choice questions, but have been getting extremely low marks across the rest of the paper :frown:

And more importantly, has anyone managed to significantly improve their ability to answer them? (getting really worried as I've applied for both Oxford & Imperial :frown:)
Reply 370
Original post by bluebell_flames
Is anyone else here really struggling with the longer questions? I seem to getting more or less full marks in all of the multiple choice questions, but have been getting extremely low marks across the rest of the paper :frown:

And more importantly, has anyone managed to significantly improve their ability to answer them? (getting really worried as I've applied for both Oxford & Imperial :frown:)

Me
Original post by CD315
Me

How are you now managing to get such high scores? Getting 75 in your last paper is impressive :smile:

I seem to be getting more or less the same (low) scores in all of the papers I've attempted so far. Did you do anything specific in order to improve from paper to paper? (sorry for all of the question :colondollar:)
Reply 372
How are you now managing to get such high scores? Getting 75 in your last paper is impressive :smile:

I seem to be getting more or less the same (low) scores in all of the papers I've attempted so far. Did you do anything specific in order to improve from paper to paper? (sorry for all of the question :colondollar:)

You just need to keep doing them, and STEP questions as well. Pretty much all degree questions (both on problem sheets and in Oxford's exams) are at least as long as the long questions on the MAT so it's definitely worthwhile spending as much time on them as you can.
Reply 373
Original post by Noble.
You just need to keep doing them, and STEP questions as well. Pretty much all degree questions (both on problem sheets and in Oxford's exams) are at least as long as the long questions on the MAT so it's definitely worthwhile spending as much time on them as you can.

What's closer to degree standard; MAT or STEP? In terms of style I mean.
Im finding the longer answer questions a lot easier than before. I'm able to get through the majority of the parts with only the last 1-2 parts stumbling me.

I actually find the awkward multiple choice a lot harder than the long answers due to the lack of hints. A lot of the long answer questions are 'show' such that I know what I'm ultimately looking for, even if it takes a long to get there. For the multiple choice they just give you a line and tell you to do something with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.

Okay, I will do that. Thanks for the advice :smile: (at this rate, Warwick will end up as my firm anyway, so STEP practice can't do any harm :frown:)
Reply 376
Original post by CD315
What's closer to degree standard; MAT or STEP? In terms of style I mean.

On style alone it's easily more similar to STEP questions.
Reply 377

Im the opposite! I get 7 or 8 on multiple choice but usually get fullmarks on atleast 1 if not 2 of the longer questions and then ~12 on the rest.

With multiple choice theres not much guidance so if you dont get it youre screwed, but with longer questions you have been given more informstion generally
my teacher forgot to enter me for the MAT exam, the deadline was yesterday!
what can i do will i have to take the step and tell imperial what happened!
Original post by IceKidd
Im the opposite! I get 7 or 8 on multiple choice but usually get fullmarks on atleast 1 if not 2 of the longer questions and then ~12 on the rest.

With multiple choice theres not much guidance so if you dont get it youre screwed, but with longer questions you have been given more informstion generally

Interesting :smile: I personally prefer the 'freedom' of the multiple choice and I tend to miss the point of the longer questions... Silly me :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending