The Student Room Group

Do you think the capital punishment should be brought back?

I dont think it should as there have been many cases where innocent people have been wrongly convicted

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
there's been a thread on this recently :smile:
No, bringing back capital punishment is a recipe for disaster. It's still very difficult to be certain that you've convicted the right person. This alone is reason enough to stay as far away from such a barbaric practice as possible but there's a much better reason and more important reason; justice is not about punishment. Justice is about rehabilitating a criminal back into society whilst ensuring that they are deservedly reprimanded for their crimes. Murderers shouldn't get life imprisonment, they should get a prolonged period of loss of liberty followed by a rehabilitation into society unless they have an untreatable medical condition that compels them to commit crime, in which case they should be admitted for psychiatric help and if necessary sectioned.
Reply 3
No, under absolutely no circumstances should the state be able to kill people.
Original post by Red Sea Syndrome
No, bringing back capital punishment is a recipe for disaster. It's still very difficult to be certain that you've convicted the right person. This alone is reason enough to stay as far away from such a barbaric practice as possible but there's a much better reason and more important reason; justice is not about punishment. Justice is about rehabilitating a criminal back into society whilst ensuring that they are deservedly reprimanded for their crimes. Murderers shouldn't get life imprisonment, they should get a prolonged period of loss of liberty followed by a rehabilitation into society unless they have an untreatable medical condition that compels them to commit crime, in which case they should be admitted for psychiatric help and if necessary sectioned.

have we become a nation of 'softies' in many respects; here you're talking about rehabilitating a murderer (I assume you want them released when they are deemed sane); and what about their victim? the murder didn't give them much of a choice did they.
Reply 5
Original post by Secretnerd123
I dont think it should as there have been many cases where innocent people have been wrongly convicted

I think it should but only in cases when clear evidence is provided.
Reply 6
Original post by SoftPunch
I think it should but only in cases when clear evidence is provided.

Are you suggesting courts would put people in prison without 'clear evidence'?
Reply 7
Original post by pjm600
Are you suggesting courts would put people in prison without 'clear evidence'?

I am not suggesting. That happens. Believe it or not innocent people do go to prison. Good evidence is rarely when provided. People may lie for one to go to prison.
Reply 8
Yes but only if there is solid evidence as there is always the fear of innocent people being killed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by John Stuart Mill
have we become a nation of 'softies' in many respects; here you're talking about rehabilitating a murderer (I assume you want them released when they are deemed sane); and what about their victim? the murder didn't give them much of a choice did they.

But how is killing the murderer any better than what the murderer did in the first place. You are probably going to argue it's called justice, but that's not a concept of justice I share. Killing people is murder, even when the state do it and regardless of what the other person has done. Obviously the victim's family should be helped and protected but seeing some die for your own glee when they may be innocent, or could become a constructive member of society in future is the wrong way. Is it really fair to hang an 18 year old lad for killing someone in a drunken bar-fight, when the other person is equally responsible for the fight occurring, and take their entire life away from them for that one night. I don't think it is which is why I don't support capital punishment.
Original post by Red Sea Syndrome
But how is killing the murderer any better than what the murderer did in the first place. You are probably going to argue it's called justice, but that's not a concept of justice I share. Killing people is murder, even when the state do it and regardless of what the other person has done. Obviously the victim's family should be helped and protected but seeing some die for your own glee when they may be innocent, or could become a constructive member of society in future is the wrong way. Is it really fair to hang an 18 year old lad for killing someone in a drunken bar-fight, when the other person is equally responsible for the fight occurring, and take their entire life away from them for that one night. I don't think it is which is why I don't support capital punishment.

Do people deserve liberty when they have so took it upon themselves to deprive it from others? What about the family who need some form of closure; are there contributions to society not as important? How much money is spent on protecting the liberties of the individual at the expense of the tax payer, could this money not be used to help those of whom deserve it?
Original post by Jjj90
No, under absolutely no circumstances should the state be able to kill people.

Wars?
Reply 12
Original post by The_Dragonborn
Wars?

Under no circumstances should the state be able to kill it's own people.

The state serves us, not the other way round.

Most of those people sitting on death row right now. Black kids in Baltimore, Miami and Detroit without a shred of a chance. You've gotta ask yourself are they the enemies or victims of society?
Do people deserve liberty when they have so took it upon themselves to deprive it from others? What about the family who need some form of closure; are there contributions to society not as important? How much money is spent on protecting the liberties of the individual at the expense of the tax payer, could this money not be used to help those of whom deserve it?

Yes. Whilst Everybody deserves the punishment for their sins and trespasses it also important that everybody is forgiven and in the instance of justice this manifests itself in the rehabilitation of criminals. The families closure should come from the fact the murderer is have their liberty taking away from them for a long time but will eventually be restored from society to never kill again. The only liberty I'm advocating here is the liberty to live without basic liberty.
Original post by Jjj90
Under no circumstances should the state be able to kill it's own people.

The state serves us, not the other way round.

Most of those people sitting on death row right now. Black kids in Baltimore, Miami and Detroit without a shred of a chance. You've gotta ask yourself are they the enemies or victims of society?

Why are they sitting on death row in the first place?

cus racism!! (does anyone have the statistics for 'accidental' killings, that is killings of people under capital punishment that were later found not guilty?)
Reply 16
Not sure if this has been posted but we can't reinstate capital punishment due to the ECHR, the EU would also rule it illegal. So short of withdrawal from the EU and repealing the Human Rights Act we can't reinstate it, not that we should

Posted from TSR Mobile
cus racism!! (does anyone have the statistics for 'accidental' killings, that is killings of people under capital punishment that were later found not guilty?)

This is true.
Reply 18

That's my point. Most people that fall into crime because of their rough background. They have been let down by society. That's why they end up in jail, or why they end up killing.
Original post by Jjj90
That's my point. Most people that fall into crime because of their rough background. They have been let down by society. That's why they end up in jail, or why they end up killing.

Do you have any proof that most people on death row or in jail are 'innocent'? That they have been 'let down by society' does not justify their actions or excuse them of it, we're not talking of theft here; we're talking about murder.

Quick Reply

Latest