The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smko
LSE have a questionnaire?!

Yea, it's quite short though, compared to the SAQ at least. The main bulk of it consists of filling in your UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Giant
My passport photo is one where I've just had a hair cut and the one for my SAQ has my hair really long and all over the place :tongue:

By the way, what did you put for the bit where it says what student finance (if any) other than the University of Cambridge you will be applying for?

On my passport photo, I look horribly tired and pale, hair doesn't look very nice either. :tongue: SAQ photo is so much better compared to it.

I just put Student Finance England. I'm an EU student and I don't know if I can apply for anything more than Student Loan (for tuition fees). 9,000 is nice but I don't think I can't rely on my parents to pay for my costs of living so I will have to try and find something else. Probably Head of 6th Form at my school knows something more, I will go and ask him.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1462
Original post by purplemind

I just put Student Finance England. I'm an EU student and I don't know if I can apply for anything more than Student Loan (for tuition fees). 9,000 is nice but I don't think I can't rely on my parents to pay for my costs of living so I will have to try and find something else. Probably Head of 6th Form at my school knows something more, I will go and ask him.

I may have to ask my Head of 6th form as well

Original post by Epic Flawless
x

What did you put down for this?
Reply 1463
My sisters friend got an offer from Bristol for economics and econometric (or accounting) for entry requirements AAB?!?!

Impossibruuu
Original post by Giant
I may have to ask my Head of 6th form as well

What did you put down for this?

I have yet to complete it but I will put down student finance England as I will need to apply for a tuition fee loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
My sisters friend got an offer from Bristol for economics and econometric (or accounting) for entry requirements AAB?!?!

Impossibruuu

I envy him/her with a passion. Can't wait till Bristol speak up and talk to me!

PS. His/her school must be in the bottom 40% if he got the AAB offer.
Reply 1466
Original post by NedStark
I envy him/her with a passion. Can't wait till Bristol speak up and talk to me!

PS. His/her school must be in the bottom 40% if he got the AAB offer.

Weirdly we both go to a grammar sixth form, which I guess is around the top 150 if I had to make a shot out there !
(Think school mentioned like a 97% pass for A levels if that means anything lol)

I still don't comprehend why she got a fairly low offer lol. She's got great academic results like 7 A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS O.o

Edit: just checked the independents league table and apparently our school is top 90 somehow(!?!)
What is Bristol smoking n
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jkizer
Weirdly we both go to a grammar sixth form, which I guess is around the top 150 if I had to make a shot out there !
(Think school mentioned like a 97% pass for A levels if that means anything lol)

I still don't comprehend why she got a fairly low offer lol. She's got great academic results like 7 A*s at gcse and AAAB at AS O.o

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014/applying/contextual-offer-schools-2014.pdf

Is your sister's friend's, or incidentally you're school on the list? If it is, then you get AAB as an offer regardless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1468
http://www.bris.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2014/applying/contextual-offer-schools-2014.pdf

Is your sister's friend, or incidentally you're school on the list? If it is, then you get AAB as an offer regardless.

Nope o.O it's a decent grammar school which gets a lot of passes at a level and sometimes 2 or 3 people in Oxbridge annually.

I still can't comprehend the contextual offer. No mitigating circumstances or being disadvantaged or anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Nope o.O it's a decent grammar school which gets a lot of passes at a level and sometimes 2 or 3 people in Oxbridge annually.

I still can't comprehend the contextual offer. No mitigating circumstances or being disadvantaged or anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite odd, stroke of luck I guess?
Reply 1470
That is quite odd, stroke of luck I guess?

Some people get all the luck
/grumpyface
Worst bit I found is she even admits she hates reading the economist / economics lessons in general. Grrrr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Some people get all the luck
/grumpyface
Worst bit I found is she even admits she hates reading the economist / economics lessons in general. Grrrr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sorta sucks. I mean, I'm hoping at University all the other economists actually love economics but it doesn't seem to be the case. :frown:
Original post by Jkizer

Impossibruuu

Nah it's possible :tongue:, it's the 'contextual' offer.
Reply 1473
Hey guys,

Got a confirmation email from UCL. How long after this does the ums form come?

Also got an email from LSE saying they will be back to me within 2 weeks. They referred to a previous confirmation email in this email. Will the UMS form for LSE come later?

Also in the process of filling out the SAQ for cambridge. Takes a fair bit of time doesn't it. Having a bit of trouble with the 'topics section'. I am unable to just list the main areas in the spec due to a character limit. What have you guys done for this? btw my A levels are Maths FM Chem Phy
Original post by Simos
Hey guys,

Got a confirmation email from UCL. How long after this does the ums form come?

Also got an email from LSE saying they will be back to me within 2 weeks. They referred to a previous confirmation email in this email. Will the UMS form for LSE come later?

Also in the process of filling out the SAQ for cambridge. Takes a fair bit of time doesn't it. Having a bit of trouble with the 'topics section'. I am unable to just list the main areas in the spec due to a character limit. What have you guys done for this? btw my A levels are Maths FM Chem Phy

I got the UCL conformation about a week ago and I've had nothing else so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1475
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Nah it's possible :tongue:, it's the 'contextual' offer.

That sorta sucks. I mean, I'm hoping at University all the other economists actually love economics but it doesn't seem to be the case. :frown:

Just talked to her, and apparently her offer is AAA or AAB but with the A in maths - C3 and C4 being graded A and B

How strange....
Original post by Jkizer

@Jkizer, the TSR glitch isn't letting me see your message without signing out. What is her motivation to study Economics then?
Reply 1477
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
@Jkizer, the TSR glitch isn't letting me see your message without signing out. What is her motivation to study Economics then?

She has ambitious plans of being an accountant at those big firms like IBM.

I think she was going to do maths, before starting researching Psychology courses (as its her favourite subject by a mile) before going for Economics as it leads to more career options.

Its strange, especially with the focus on accountancy. (Im pretty sure you dont even need a degree to be an accountant). But i guess i kinda understand Economics... Still the risks of not doing well is greater, when you do not enjoy the subject.
sending my UCAS Application off to ucas tomorrow.... nervous !
Finally got acknowledgement from Warwick. :smile:
Just waiting now. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending