The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by Fabay
Please Could I PM you the quote and section of the short paragraph? I just need an honest opinion from someone who doesn't know me. I'm not gonna send you my whole personal statement lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would be happy to and certainly wouldn't steal it, but it is against forum rules to share PSs like that (to stop people being plagiarised), yet unfortunately it looks like the PS advice service where you CAN share it is only open to undergrads...

EDIT: Actually, it is open to PGCE applicants, so I'd use it!

However I'd definitely advise posting on the PS help forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2397381 for further advice. Maybe, if it's possible, explain what the joke is about without using wording from your PS. You could also check whether your PS eligible to be posted for a check, and then post it... they are currently busy but you now have until 21st Nov to get it back it seems!

xxx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 681
Original post by kpwxx
I would be happy to and certainly wouldn't steal it, but it is against forum rules to share PSs like that (to stop people being plagiarised), yet unfortunately it looks like the PS advice service where you CAN share it is only open to undergrads...

However I'd definitely advise posting on the PS help forum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2397381 for further advice. Maybe, if it's possible, explain what the joke is about without using wording from your PS. You could also check whether your PS eligible to be posted for a check, and then post it... they are currently busy but you now have until 21st Nov to get it back it seems!

xxx

It's ok - thank you anyway though! I've decided to go to the careers centre at uni to discuss it there. And now I have a bit more time to get it sorted. I'll have a look at that forum in the meantime. Thanks again for he advice! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 682
I'm guessing they've pushed the application date back because they still haven't decided what to do with the skills tests...
21st November means it will be late for getting interviews etc!! :/
I'm not the most annoyed about it being moved back, mainly because I still have written my personal statement. I'm feeling really behind with my organisation, because I've been ill for the past two months and I'm only just getting back on track. I thought I was going to have to take a leave of absence and apply next year so I'm still readjusting to being back in the game :P
Original post by Airfairy
I'm not the most annoyed about it being moved back, mainly because I still have written my personal statement. I'm feeling really behind with my organisation, because I've been ill for the past two months and I'm only just getting back on track. I thought I was going to have to take a leave of absence and apply next year so I'm still readjusting to being back in the game :P

What are you applying for?

Same here. The fact that it has been pushed back will allow me to have more time to work on my PS and gain more experience without having to submit my application later. :tongue: Roll on the 21st!
Original post by polka_dott
21st November means it will be late for getting interviews etc!! :/

What do you mean by late?
Original post by Juichiro
What do you mean by late?

I know that cumbria uni had arranged their first block of interviews for late november so thats at least 1 uni which will need to change plans due to the push back
What are you applying for?

Same here. The fact that it has been pushed back will allow me to have more time to work on my PS and gain more experience without having to submit my application later. :tongue: Roll on the 21st!

Secondary r.e. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Secondary r.e. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

secondary mfl. :smile: hopefully mfl won't be very popular amongst postgraduates.
Original post by northern-belle
I know that cumbria uni had arranged their first block of interviews for late november so thats at least 1 uni which will need to change plans due to the push back

I am planning to apply to cumbria. Is the university any good? Is it popular?
Hi everyone :-)

I am going to be applying for primary pgce courses soon, and I think I've narrowed it down to: Cambridge (I live near so familiar with the city and it has a good reputation), reading, oxford Brooke's, Sussex uni. Any advice about any of these Uni's? Think I will apply for 3 so need to eliminate one. And what's Warwick uni like?

Thanks

Nicole :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xnicolexwx

I am going to be applying for primary pgce courses soon, and I think I've narrowed it down to: Cambridge (I live near so familiar with the city and it has a good reputation), reading, oxford Brooke's, Sussex uni. Any advice about any of these Uni's? Think I will apply for 3 so need to eliminate one. And what's Warwick uni like?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Welcome :smile:

Not heard much about those unis,apart from obviously Cambridge being the best teacher training provider in the UK, apparently. So it will be competitive! My boyfriends friend went there for primary and I think she ended up failing because it was so hard! I think PGCEs in general are really difficult at any uni though.

You will only be able to apply for three this year btw, not four. I don't know if you already knew this, but your wording made it sound like you didn't.

Good luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
secondary mfl. :smile: hopefully mfl won't be very popular amongst postgraduates.

Considering the high bursary amount, you'd think it wouldn't be.

The bursary info has been released for this year. Not much has changed. I was hoping R.E would have been added back onto the secondary priority subjects, but sadly not. I'm glad they've taken Latin and Greek off though!
Reply 694
Original post by tory88
I'm guessing they've pushed the application date back because they still haven't decided what to do with the skills tests...

What do you mean by this? Skills Tests have to be taken before starting the course not before interview, right?
I am planning to apply to cumbria. Is the university any good? Is it popular?

I don't know if its popular, but I looked around the campus at Lancaster and all the staff were nice and the campus itself is okay enough. Im looking at the primary side but would hope all the staff are similar in their enthusiasm, plus the programme seems well organised.
Reply 696
Original post by Beckarr
I was going to ring the Universities up and ask them, however I think most of the time they are aware that someone who knows you will more than likely write the reference and then it gets sent with the Headteachers name on it.

The ones I am planning to apply for, had not heard of the need for a Head-teacher's reference and said any character reference would be sufficient. So I will use a teacher who I worked with opposed to a Headteacher, who I never encountered. They expressed the main concern was an academic reference.
Reply 697
Original post by Jadey-xo
What do you mean by this? Skills Tests have to be taken before starting the course not before interview, right?

I was more just making an acerbic quip, but I think some universities do expect you to have completed the tests before interview.
Reply 698
I am completely confused by the professional skills tests! Do we need to take them before we apply and if so how do you go about it? I can't find any information on this at all :frown: Please HELP!!
Reply 699
Original post by xnicolexwx

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge is supposed to be particularly difficult, because you also come out with 50% of a masters. It's also ridiculously competitive.

I looked at Warwick, but HATED the feel of the campus. Can't put my finger on it, but even as we drove in, I hated everything about it. The student union looked great, but beyond that I liked nothing about it. This was for my undergrad though, not looked at the teacher training courses.

Don't know Oxford Brookes personally, but I have friends there who adore being there. Love their full uni experience. I know the city of Oxford well, and it's such a fantastic place to be a student.

I'm very bias about Reading, because I did my undergrad there. I visited 11 Uni's at undergrad, and Reading was by far the nicest. It's such a lovely town as well. Guarantee you'll have a good time there, and some world leading professors too.

A very bias review - but some of this may have helped :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending