The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gerrard should be on the plane to Brazil but he shouldn't be starting. If we want to have any chance against the better teams it would be much more beneficial playing a Carrick/Wilshere double pivot, but who should play no.10 is where I'm stuck at. Other countries have ridiculous options, Germany have Kroos/Ozil, Spain's midfielders speak for itself. While Rooney is a good player going forward, he doesn't worth hard enough defensively so we'll get exposed. I just don't think we have a team good enough to go past the QFs, regardless of who starts.
Called it: Because England won, the lowest rating journalists are giving the worst players (Wellbeck) is 6/10, and all the subs will get 5/10. Moronic.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Gerrard should be on the plane to Brazil but he shouldn't be starting. If we want to have any chance against the better teams it would be much more beneficial playing a Carrick/Wilshere double pivot, but who should play no.10 is where I'm stuck at. Other countries have ridiculous options, Germany have Kroos/Ozil, Spain's midfielders speak for itself. While Rooney is a good player going forward, he doesn't worth hard enough defensively so we'll get exposed. I just don't think we have a team good enough to go past the QFs, regardless of who starts.

That's bull**** wrt rooney, you say that yet ozil isn't as good defensively as rooney and plays as a no.10 for germany, add to that rooney being able to mark players out of games last season(take the 2-1 at old trafford vs arsenal) and he's easily going to be the no 10 and could be the no.10 for pretty much every side in the world without too many complaints(spain excluded) problem is that we have no backup for the guy, not the guy.

The problem with england

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheInvincibles14
While Rooney is a good player going forward, he doesn't worth hard enough defensively so we'll get exposed. I just don't think we have a team good enough to go past the QFs, regardless of who starts.
I'd disagree with that massively, you'd be hard pressed to find another forward who puts in a defensive shift like Rooney, how have United limped on all this time with the midfield they do? I'd say perhaps someone like mandzukic, other than that, Rooney tracks back as much as can be expected of any AM/number 10. He's nailed on number 10, imo. He's the best player we have, and no.10 is his best position, he can come back and get stuck in, get on the ball quickly pass, assist, and get forward and score.
Original post by niceguy95
In the 2 games he played this international break, none of them were standout, at times he struggled, imagine against better opposistion

In the 2 games Lambert played, he contributed to the Team

Who did lambert face? Ukraine and scotland, First one is scotland and that doesn't even warrant an argument and against ukraine he was clearly a lost soul, add to that we're playing with inside forwards who won't suit lamberts game and we'll end up with a guy who's doing **** because of the lack of service or right service(cough soldado cough)

Sturridge can play with almost any team, due to the fact he now drops deep as a false 9 at times, yet will still get into the areas. His ball retention for the most part is better than lamberts and has a counter attacking threat when we're on the backfoot against weak teams. He should clearly start over lambert. Add to that his form for liverpool has been superb, should be building a team round him and rooney tbh not benching him.

Original post by doggyfizzel
I'd disagree with that massively, you'd be hard pressed to find another forward who puts in a defensive shift like Rooney, how have United limped on all this time with the midfield they do? I'd say perhaps someone like mandzukic, other than that, Rooney tracks back as much as can be expected of any AM/number 10. He's nailed on number 10, imo. He's the best player we have, and no.10 is his best position, he can come back and get stuck in, get on the ball quickly pass, assist, and get forward and score.

This pretty much.
(edited 10 years ago)
England have a better front two than Germany/Spain/Brazil/France so from that perspective they have a chance I guess. As has been said the problem will be in midfield if we persist with Gerrard/Lampard, we havent got a hope with them.
Original post by Zürich
England have a better front two than Germany/Spain/Brazil/France so from that perspective they have a chance I guess. As has been said the problem will be in midfield if we persist with Gerrard/Lampard, they're dead in the water together even at their peak.

England could possibly improve on the wingers too and the tactics, but that's obviously secondary to the midfield pairing and that relies on a gem being found in the next 12 months... Shame adam johnson was so inconsistent and ashley young has been in horrendous form.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
England could possibly improve on the wingers too and the tactics, but that's obviously secondary to the midfield pairing and that relies on a gem being found in the next 12 months... Shame adam johnson was so inconsistent and ashley young has been in horrendous form.

I'd go with Andros Townsend and AOC tbh, with JW or Barkley behind. Play it nice and direct. No way can Young/Welbeck play, no ****ing way.

Watching England last night, it was good to see them pin a team back and attack in waves. The only real advantage English players have is their intensity so if I was RH I'd try to exploit that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
I'd go with Andros Townsend and AOC tbh, with JW or Barkley behind. Play it nice and direct. No way can Young/Welbeck play, no ****ing way.

Watching England last night, it was good to see them pin a team back and attack in waves. The only real advantage English players have is their intensity so if I was RH I'd try to exploit that.

Tbf to welbeck, his work rate is great and he gets into good positions, I hope he improves his finishing as he has very good off the ball movement, pace and goodish on his feet. I do understand why you'd go for AOC, but I think that welbeck is only one attribute off becoming a thomas muller type player(finishing) as he's good in almost every other thing muller is good at.

Was nice to see attacking football, wanted to see more and was still disappointed with the performance but I'm happy hodgson was proactive. Agree with JW starting in midfield though.
Sturridge hasn't done a thing in the England shirt. He can only play as a striker, a role he is not as good as Rooney at despite any blinders you want to put out. If he were so good he would have made it at his two previous clubs(i suspect since he was unable to play other positions and his all around game isn't top level, that he wasnt selected much). He has had good form for Liverpool so fair play to him. If he would get his head right and learn how to play unselfishly then maybe he would be up top. But right now he should be second choice
Original post by Dogwithwings
Sturridge hasn't done a thing in the England shirt. He can only play as a striker, a role he is not as good as Rooney at despite any blinders you want to put out. If he were so good he would have made it at his two previous clubs(i suspect since he was unable to play other positions and his all around game isn't top level, that he wasnt selected much). He has had good form for Liverpool so fair play to him. If he would get his head right and learn how to play unselfishly then maybe he would be up top. But right now he should be second choice

You clearly don't watch sturridge, he made it at city and left for free as city struggled to keep hold onto him, at chelsea he played on the wing and was our top goalscorer in the league when he didn't even start for the second half of that season and the season after we played torres up top and he's not going to displace mata, hazard or oscar for the winger position.

I presume you're trolling tbh since you're talking out your arse. He's got a great all round game, good at cross field balls and good at link up play, at times he can be selfish, but the same can be said for arjen robben but I doubt anyone would say the tripe that you're saying now about him. :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
You clearly don't watch sturridge, he made it at city and left for free as city struggled to keep hold onto him, at chelsea he played on the wing and was our top goalscorer in the league when he didn't even start for the second half of that season and the season after we played torres up top and he's not going to displace mata, hazard or oscar for the winger position.

I presume you're trolling tbh since you're talking out your arse. He's got a great all round game, good at cross field balls and good at link up play, at times he can be selfish, but the same can be said for arjen robben but I doubt anyone would say the tripe that you're saying now about him. :lol:

If he had a great all around game he could play other positions at a high level, he can't. His hold up play is not great, and he certainly doesn't have an all around game nearly as good as Welbeck. Sturridge can take players on and he can score a lot of goals, that is where his strength lies. Do not try to make him out as a top level complete forward because that he is not. He is also not a better striker than Rooney, and certainly not even close to as complete of a player as he is and, what I should've added earlier, was that what England should do involves playing with a 3 man midfield (to keep Gerrard out of a 2man midfield where he is a liability imo) and have Rooney playing as the #9.

If he is so good by he is playing at Liverpool rather than a top club?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CameronHayward

Whilst I agree that we should be looking beyond Gerrard now, he isn't exactly going to be dropped when he's captain. That said, I'm sure he'll lose captaincy after the World Cup whether he retires or not, so that the younger players can come through in midfield for Euro 2016.

Original post by Zürich
He's captain. And even if you are focusing on youth you need one or two experienced heads so they dont lose their heads. But England are gonna do Gerrard+Lampard+Carrick

True. I wasn't really thinking about it, I just looked at the team and saw an old player and questioned it :tongue:
Reply 8554
Did someone really just questioned rooney's workrate and defensive work. Oh wow. Sweet brother Malcolm!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8555
I'd disagree with that massively, you'd be hard pressed to find another forward who puts in a defensive shift like Rooney, how have United limped on all this time with the midfield they do? I'd say perhaps someone like mandzukic, other than that, Rooney tracks back as much as can be expected of any AM/number 10.

Those two Uruguayans cavani and Suarez are also very good at this. Cavani's the best at it in the world atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair play, think I'm having trouble trying to explain the point I'm trying to make. We need better players at the double pivot to function as a team. Dont even think a Carrick-Wilshere combo with Rooney in front would work. Opposing team would dominate the midfield battle, we don't have a player like Kroos or Oscar who can drop back when needed. Rooney can but are you telling me he's going to sit back and defend against a Spain or Brazil, he'll be higher up the pitch. Essentially, CBs aren't good enough, double pivot isn't good enough (look at Ger/Spain), and the wingers aren't good enough, but hopefully Townsend/Walcott/AOC produce this season.
Original post by 419
Those two Uruguayans cavani and Suarez are also very good at this. Cavani's the best at it in the world atm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manduzik for me, the guy just doesn't stop working. Tevez too.
It's been confirmed that England aren't seeded for the World Cup, so they could end up with Brazil, Spain, Argentina or Germany in their group :lol: Or on the other end of the scale there's Switzerland or Colombia.
Original post by sr90
He's said he wants to break David Beckham's caps record for an outfield player, England will play a few friendlies before the World Cup which you'd expect him to take part in, so if they make it out of the group stage he would equal (or potentially better) it. That would be the perfect moment to retire.

I'll be amazed if he's still playing international football by Euro 2016.

Well he needs 9 more to pass Beckham (SG - 107, DB - 115)

I think it's 2 friendlies in November and one more in March? Not sure if there are more in the calendar otherwise. 3 group games at the WC..

You'd probably expect Gerrard, Lampard and A.Cole to all retire after the world cup?

Latest