The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Currently reading "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance", and it's awesome.
Reply 581
Ugsy did filtering today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by F4LL3N
As I said, you did get a bargain :tongue: and for a first time rider, less mods is key to your insurance. I have been riding almost 8 years on a full license, am an old man and insurance companies aren't too picky :smile:. But mines only 2 previous owners (1 when I bought it) and I've owned it since 18,000 miles so it has been much loved and cared for :smile:. If it hits 2.5k then great, but I definitely wouldn't take anything less than 2k for it.

I don't mean to say I told you so but..err :P
Reply 583
Original post by Imperial_Maniac

Well don't then. Wiggles and Fallen know more about bikes than we do, even if we throw Boris into the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juno
Well don't then. Wiggles and Fallen know more about bikes than we do, even if we throw Boris into the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Speak for yourself love.
Reply 585

Well its worth more than the £1,500 it went for. Hence I have relisted with disclaimer and it is still receiving bids so it should now hit at least the 2k mark.
Hey guys I did my CBT at the end of August and have since done over 6000 miles on a variety of scooters (hired so they just swap them over when due a service) I'm hoping to do my A2 licence fairly soon (first lesson tomorrow) on a geared bike just wondering what to expect from the bike, lessons and test? Will it be essential to get myself a geared bike to practise without supervision on or will the lessons and practising on the hired scooters be enough?

Also any advice on scooters/bikes I should be looking at after I've passed? There have been days when I've had the under seat storage full, a backpack, a bag on the floor and a topbox so most bikes look like they'll struggle to match for storage so considering sticking with scooters for now. I might have missed some suitable bikes though.

Considering the problems I had with my hired 110 (flat out at 45 on some hills!) I'm unsure whether I need to look at the 300-500cc range or is that particular 110 just underpowered and a 125 would be fine? I did have a 125 from them a couple of times and it was faster but I didn't have to take it out of Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire which in the parts I was in are all largely flat.

edit
the 110 in question is a Honda Vision (I think, still have it so will check but it's something like that) and was not loaded up at the time. It had me, a chain and a few sheets of paper.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by F4LL3N
Well its worth more than the £1,500 it went for. Hence I have relisted with disclaimer and it is still receiving bids so it should now hit at least the 2k mark.

Yeah I think around 2k is fair :smile:
Reply 588
So today Ugsy hit a car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any tips for a touring holiday in Europe? Looking at you wiggles! (or fallen :P)

I'm thinking about going to Misano with my Dad next summer, it's a fair distance of 1000 miles each way! How much time would be best to take about it since obviously it's best to do some alpine exploration on the way!? Is a fortnight enough or too much time for the whole trip? Any tips for making it cheaper? Good places to stay?

Tbh I may be being a bit ambitious but I want to do it. Ambitious is good (if I plan it right)!

Bear in mind that atm my dad is on an RSV Mille and I'm on an SV, but he's thinking about buying a Pan or similar. Would a Mille be unreasonably uncomfortable? I think I'll be taking all the stuff on the SV-might be time to do that rear shock swap.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Juno
So today Ugsy hit a car

Posted from TSR Mobile

Badly? :frown:
Reply 591
Badly? :frown:

Well, he was very bad for doing it :mad:

He's OK, the car was fine, but my foot hurts (and my back, but I think that's just normal for me).
what do i want to do to a bike when bringing it out of storege?
(and by storege, i mean its been just parked up on my driveway for 3 years :tongue:)

so far ive got:
- oil and filter change
- new petrol (with redex?)
- an MOT
- Checking tyres
Reply 593
Original post by Boristhethird
(and by storege, i mean its been just parked up on my driveway for 3 years :tongue:)

so far ive got:
- oil and filter change
- an MOT
- Checking tyres

Turn it on before checking the electrics
Reply 594

so far ive got:
- oil and filter change
- an MOT
- Checking tyres

brake fluid? brake pads/pistons are probably seized, air in the tyres, make sure the chain is useable, not rusted solid (check each link) Might want to check to fork seals?
Reply 595
Does anyone have any tips for a touring holiday in Europe? Looking at you wiggles! (or fallen :P)

I'm thinking about going to Misano with my Dad next summer, it's a fair distance of 1000 miles each way! How much time would be best to take about it since obviously it's best to do some alpine exploration on the way!? Is a fortnight enough or too much time for the whole trip? Any tips for making it cheaper? Good places to stay?

Tbh I may be being a bit ambitious but I want to do it. Ambitious is good (if I plan it right)!

Bear in mind that atm my dad is on an RSV Mille and I'm on an SV, but he's thinking about buying a Pan or similar. Would a Mille be unreasonably uncomfortable? I think I'll be taking all the stuff on the SV-might be time to do that rear shock swap.

We camp, if we could afford not to we would just be taking a tank bag of stuff and that would be it. It is suggested you do no more than 250 miles a day, you will find that mileage over a prolonged period of time tiring if you aren't used to it. I'd suggest keeping it at 200 or so. Or do 100, then a longer day of 250, and mix it up. I do it on the sv with no adjustments to either shock. Your dad would have to decided how comfy the mille is. My sv seat is far more comfortable than f4ll3ns.
Original post by Bathwiggle
We camp, if we could afford not to we would just be taking a tank bag of stuff and that would be it. It is suggested you do no more than 250 miles a day, you will find that mileage over a prolonged period of time tiring if you aren't used to it. I'd suggest keeping it at 200 or so. Or do 100, then a longer day of 250, and mix it up. I do it on the sv with no adjustments to either shock. Your dad would have to decided how comfy the mille is. My sv seat is far more comfortable than f4ll3ns.

Cheers :smile:
brake fluid? brake pads/pistons are probably seized, air in the tyres, make sure the chain is useable, not rusted solid (check each link) Might want to check to fork seals?

cheers
Reply 598
cheers

actually, mihgt be worth rebuilding the forks anyway if there aren't adjustable, change the fork oil while your at it. which bike is it, the bros?
Reply 599
actually, mihgt be worth rebuilding the forks anyway if there aren't adjustable, change the fork oil while your at it. which bike is it, the bros?

Nah, Bros is mine :security:

He's fixing SR, and then we're going on a 125 rideout :grin: Everyone invited (as long as you come on a 125, obvs)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending