The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Original post by ttankzhang
I'm doing econ, got 100 for maths, 98 econ, 97 politics, 95 physics... obviously your maths, physics and chem are all good, is there a particular reason critical thinking was low? otherwise you'd stand a decent chance for an interview as long as you have some relevant extra stuff for your PS (like summer schools, extended project, etc.)

Well I have work experience attending lectures and reading news articles and some books...
I know I could probably get an interview just not sure ill do well in it, they ask a lot of maths questions which are apparently really hard
and the sums average for successful applicants is 95 and I'm 93 (or 91.25 if u factor in the extra maths modulebwhich is what they'll do)
But thanks for the reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1621
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to St John's but I'm not sure because the admission criteria for HSPS is pretty tough.

Does anyone on here do/know something about HSPS at your college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1622
Does anyone know whether or not there is halal food served at johns?
Also, I'm in love with the college but they don't have a particularly good standing amongst other colleges so I was just wondering why this was? Do they have an alright ratio of state to private schools? Also, do they take people who are Asian or Muslim for example.. Are they diverse?
Thanx and sorry for the long questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reddish
Does anyone know whether or not there is halal food served at johns?
Also, I'm in love with the college but they don't have a particularly good standing amongst other colleges so I was just wondering why this was? Do they have an alright ratio of state to private schools? Also, do they take people who are Asian or Muslim for example.. Are they diverse?
Thanx and sorry for the long questions :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there--

I can't answer all of your questions, but what I can tell you is that John's is very open and accommodating to students from all backgrounds. I was a postgrad there, and recall that we were told that something like 60 countries were represented among postgraduates in our college alone. So, yes, it's a very diverse place! On the undergraduate level, I've heard that John's makes great efforts to recruit students from underrepresented backgrounds, and even has special scholarships set up to fund such students.

As far as halal food goes, I know that you're permitted to choose from a range of food options when booking your ticket for Hall, and there is a variety of options in the Buttery. I'm certain that if you contacted the Catering Office when you arrived in College they'd be able to accommodate you.

I hope that helps! :smile:
Reply 1624
Original post by Viceroy
Hi there--

I can't answer all of your questions, but what I can tell you is that John's is very open and accommodating to students from all backgrounds. I was a postgrad there, and recall that we were told that something like 60 countries were represented among postgraduates in our college alone. So, yes, it's a very diverse place! On the undergraduate level, I've heard that John's makes great efforts to recruit students from underrepresented backgrounds, and even has special scholarships set up to fund such students.

As far as halal food goes, I know that you're permitted to choose from a range of food options when booking your ticket for Hall, and there is a variety of options in the Buttery. I'm certain that if you contacted the Catering Office when you arrived in College they'd be able to accommodate you.

I hope that helps! :smile:

Thanx :smile:
That's great to hear because Im reallly in love with johns and can't wait to apply there...
Though I don't think I'll get in ;((
Original post by Reddish
Thanx :smile:
That's great to hear because Im reallly in love with johns and can't wait to apply there...
Though I don't think I'll get in ;((

You'll never know unless you try! :smile:
Reply 1626
Thinking about medicine here..

AS UMS- 92% avg- only concern, worried as this is somewhat below average :frown:
Reply 1627
I am an international applicant from China to apply Land economy in St John's.How about my chance to get the offer? Thanks for your advice.

AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)

Predicted:
Mathematics A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Reddish
Urgh I really wanna apply to johns but I'm not sure if I'm good enough. Everyone else is saying they got 98 UMS blah blah.
I got
Maths: 98%
Physics: 90.67%
Chemistry: 90.67%
Product: 80% ( :/ )
Critical thinking: D!!!!!! Wtf even?!!

I wanna apply for engineering and I plan on self teaching the A level next year.

Do I have a chance?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying for Chemical Engineering via NatSci. I wasn't overly happy with my AS results, especially maths. Part of the reason I chose St John's was because they have a test before interview which I think I can prove myself in. My UMS were:

Maths: 89% :s-smilie:
Physics: 94%
Chemistry: 92%
Biology: 99% :wink:
Geography: 90%
General Studies: 90%
Critical Thinking: 92%

I personally think you will get an interview because they try to interview as many as possible and with a SUMS average of over 90% you should be pretty safe. I know its a bit late saying this on the 17th and you might not have even applied to John's but stop worrying if you have, you should be fine!
Reply 1629
[QUOTE=
Lol thanx yeah I did apply and I am fairly confident I should get an interview but I hope I get a chance after that - I hope I get in. I'm probably not that good at interviews and will probably mess up an I have no idea what the test will entail, I haven't managed to find any past ones to practise from :P

Bu your results seem amazing :biggrin: above 90 for everything and u have like 5 subjects!! And you got above 90 for Critical thinking! I completely hate that subject!!

I hope to see you at the interview though, it's nice knowing someone else applying to the same college for (kinda) the same subject! What attracted you to Johns? And how are you preparing for Interview? How's SAQ coming along? So many questions lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1630
Lol thanx yeah I did apply and I am fairly confident I should get an interview but I hope I get a chance after that - I hope I get in. I'm probably not that good at interviews and will probably mess up an I have no idea what the test will entail, I haven't managed to find any past ones to practise from :P

Bu your results seem amazing :biggrin: above 90 for everything and u have like 5 subjects!! And you got above 90 for Critical thinking! I completely hate that subject!!

I hope to see you at the interview though, it's nice knowing someone else applying to the same college for (kinda) the same subject! What attracted you to Johns? And how are you preparing for Interview? How's SAQ coming along? So many questions lol :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any questions about John's, just let me know! :smile:
Happy to help!
Reply 1632
Original post by Viceroy
Happy to help!

I envy you so much :smile: ur so lucky to go to johns!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I sent of my application to St John's a while ago (before the Aus interview 22nd Sept deadline). They sent me an acknowledgement email and everything seems to be in order.

However talking to a friend, who is applying to Trinity, he mentioned how he was required to fill out a Data Protection consent form (http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/show.php?dowid=934)

Does St John's have an equivalent that I will need to fill out for my application to be valid? I'm fairly certain that they don't as I can't seem to find one anywhere???
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Viceroy
Happy to help!

What are you studying?
Original post by Reddish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interview preparation isn't really happening at the moment. :smile: I liked Johns because it's large, it looks really nice, not only on the outside but the accommodation and stuff too. I also liked it's location and the fact it is in that row of colleges along the river. SAQ is ok. I'm doing my my additional PS atm. It's just annoying because some of my teachers haven't decided which of the optional units we are doing yet. I am trying to self teach further maths AS too but that hasn't really started much yet. I'm trying to get M2 finished before Christmas. :/
Original post by Reddish
I envy you so much :smile: ur so lucky to go to johns!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the interview like? What was the whole process of being offered an interview, the interview occurring and then receiving an offer?- As in the time frame.
Original post by <*(((><
What are you studying?

Music. But I've finished now and am onto the PhD :-)
Reply 1638
Original post by <*(((><
What is the interview like? What was the whole process of being offered an interview, the interview occurring and then receiving an offer?- As in the time frame.

Invitation: around a week before interview
Interview: early December
Offer: early January
Reply 1639
Original post by scottface
Hi guys,

I sent of my application to St John's a while ago (before the Aus interview 22nd Sept deadline). They sent me an acknowledgement email and everything seems to be in order.

However talking to a friend, who is applying to Trinity, he mentioned how he was required to fill out a Data Protection consent form (http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/show.php?dowid=934)

Does St John's have an equivalent that I will need to fill out for my application to be valid? I'm fairly certain that they don't as I can't seem to find one anywhere???

Doubtful - I'm not aware of any other college that asks for one. I think (from my extremely limited knowledge of data protection law) that they can use your data for reasonable purposes, so I think Trinity's just covering their backsides here just in case.

For your purposes, if you haven't been asked to fill in a form, you don't have to fill in a form, and your application will be valid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending