The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by purplemind
Finally got acknowledgement from Warwick. :smile:
Just waiting now. :biggrin:

Some people have already got offers for maths so you might hear from them soon :biggrin:.
Original post by Dilzo999
Some people have already got offers for maths so you might hear from them soon :biggrin:.

Apparently they give more Maths offers because they have STEP, for Economics, there is no STEP or interview so they have to consider candidates more carefully. :tongue:

I have also received an acknowledgement from Warwick today :smile:

Same, they finally spoke up. Although they did like to specify:

"Thank you for your application to study at The University of Warwick.

The University of Warwick is committed to fair admissions and will give full and equal consideration to all applications received by the UCAS deadline of 15 January 2014. Warwick's courses are extremely competitive and some decisions will not be finalised until all applications have been received and considered, so you should not be concerned if you do not receive a decision within a short time of applying. "

Looks like we could be doing a bit of waiting.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

Original post by NedStark
Same, they finally spoke up. Although they did like to specify:

"Thank you for your application to study at The University of Warwick.

The University of Warwick is committed to fair admissions and will give full and equal consideration to all applications received by the UCAS deadline of 15 January 2014. Warwick's courses are extremely competitive and some decisions will not be finalised until all applications have been received and considered, so you should not be concerned if you do not receive a decision within a short time of applying. "

Looks like we could be doing a bit of waiting.

Meh, got exactly the same email.
I would be so happy if I got one offer before November. This waiting is so annoying. :biggrin: My friend got a Medicine offer (medicine is pretty competitive too) from Bristol yesterday (4A* predictes, applied week ago).
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

I thought you were applying to Durham instead of Warwick?
Reply 1486
Heyy guys.

I'm really worried, I still haven't sent my UCAS form off. My PS was 7,000 characters and weeks later it's only been trimmed down to 5,387! I don't know how to cut it down, even my teachers are telling me that there is possibly nothing I can remove- it's all essential. And also, I'm being predicted an A*AB and I'm applying to AAA courses. Will they let that balance out? I got AACC for AS (Economics, Bio, Maths and Chem) and 3*A's 5 A's 2 Distinctions and a B for GCSE. I'm hoping my school would fall under the contextual thing LOL (Kingsbury High anyone? xD)

I'm applying to the following - do they seem like sensible options?

Kings (International Political Economics)
SOAS (South Asian Studies and Economics)
Royal Holloway ( Economics, politics and International relations)
Queen Mary's (Econ & Politics)
City (IPE)

I'm really worried that I've delayed my application.. If I send it in this weekend, my school will take like a month to process it. Does that lower my chance of receiving an offer? :frown:

Thanks in advance and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got another email from LSE, an encouraging sign!

Dear "Epic Flawless"

I am writing to provide you with a further update on your application to LSE.

I am happy to tell you that your application is strong enough to be considered further by the Admissions Selector for the BSc in Economics programme.

The Selector will be making further academic assessments on your qualifications and personal statement, and will be considering your application in competition with other candidates in your cohort.

This can take up to five weeks. I will be in touch at the end of this process to let you know what happens next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Epic Flawless

Dear "Epic Flawless"

I am happy to tell you that your application is strong enough to be considered further by the Admissions Selector for the BSc in Economics programme.

The Selector will be making further academic assessments on your qualifications and personal statement, and will be considering your application in competition with other candidates in your cohort.

This can take up to five weeks. I will be in touch at the end of this process to let you know what happens next.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the same email. :smile: But still haven't been asked about my UMS.
I got the same email. :smile: But still haven't been asked about my UMS.

Maybe it was included in your reference?
Original post by Lunch_Box
Maybe it was included in your reference?

It was but I just thought they wanted to know UMS for specific modules. :smile:
Original post by Epic Flawless

Dear "Epic Flawless"

Posted from TSR Mobile

They haven't mentioned "strong enough" to me. If they haven't asked for UMS then our AS grades are the same. Meaning it's the GCSE grades that's holding me back. :frown:
Reply 1492
Original post by NedStark
They haven't mentioned "strong enough" to me. If they haven't asked for UMS then our AS grades are the same. Meaning it's the GCSE grades that's holding me back. :frown:

What did you get at GCSE? I presume they are very good seen as though your applying to LSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Jam
What did you get at GCSE? I presume they are very good seen as though your applying to LSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Between 5-8 A* 4A 1B. I did some qualification that apparently counts for 3A*. I don't think it does but my head of year assures me they do. I guess she would know more than I do about Uni applications so I'm taking her word for it.

I really hope they do count, I mean I was staying behind at school till 6PM for weeks to meet the deadlines and I even got mugged one night. It would be annoying if it was disregarded.
(edited 10 years ago)
Hoping to study Economics next year but everywhere I look apart from Leeds Uni (who want AAA) wants an A in A level Maths, which I dropped after I got a D at AS :frown:

Currently on ACC in Economics, Biology, and Chemistry and hopefully will be able to get that up to AAA

Might have to go abroad to study it

any advice appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)
hows everyones application going ? any offers rolled in ? got an email from UCAS today saying they had received my application , so just waiting on the offers to come rolling in :colone: ( just kiddin , im probably gonna get rejected by all 5 knowing my luck )
Original post by Fas
hows everyones application going ? any offers rolled in ? got an email from UCAS today saying they had received my application , so just waiting on the offers to come rolling in :colone: ( just kiddin , im probably gonna get rejected by all 5 knowing my luck )

Hahaha awesome, i received the same email after sending it off yesterday. Hopefully we both get offers from our top choices :biggrin:.

Where are you applying to and what course?
Reply 1497
One of my friends got an offer from Warwick for Maths and Economics! Her offer was A*AA and 1 in STEP or A*A*A and a 2 in STEP. She's so lucky to get an offer, let alone from Warwick, this soon
Original post by Fas

Got acknowledged by all five. I'm hoping for Bristol to reply soon since they've given a lot of offers to TSR members already, meaning they are quite speedy with this. Just keep checking your email regularly, about twice a day since you get a lot of emails for the next week.

Original post by Giant
One of my friends got an offer from Warwick for Maths and Economics! Her offer was A*AA and 1 in STEP or A*A*A and a 2 in STEP. She's so lucky to get an offer, let alone from Warwick, this soon

I'm starting to regret not applying for Maths+Econ instead of straight Economics. It's just those damn STEP papers that put me off it. If I get into the really mathematical economics courses that I've applied for, it should be fine but I dunno....just have to see how things pan out.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hazard17
Hahaha awesome, i received the same email after sending it off yesterday. Hopefully we both get offers from our top choices :biggrin:.

Where are you applying to and what course?

ahh awesome ! yeah definitely :smile: Economics at UCL, Durham, Bath, Nottingham and York :smile: how about you ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending