The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sport999
Can someone please help me, I am losing my WAIT FOR it mind >< PS.

Ok, basically I am 17 and wont be turning 18 any time soon. I have extensive work placements but need a well paid job. By well paid, I mean 7 Pounds an hour.

Now, I know I am under the required age and understand that I might not be able to get such a "high paying" job but I have had 6 job offers as a Charity Fundraisers and as soon as I tell them my age they say that it is against their company rules as I will be dealing with debit/credit cards,etc, etc.

What should I do , I need a job as I stated in my PS that I am going to work. PS, I am applying for medicine.

£7 an hour at 17? Not gonna happen, unless you live in London. You *might* get one with £6-something an hour if you're lucky (at a supermarket for example), as most places pay the minimum under 18 wage of £3.68/hr. Surely any job is better than no job though, even if the pay isn't fantastic?
Reply 961

Ok, basically I am 17 and wont be turning 18 any time soon. I have extensive work placements but need a well paid job. By well paid, I mean 7 Pounds an hour.

Now, I know I am under the required age and understand that I might not be able to get such a "high paying" job but I have had 6 job offers as a Charity Fundraisers and as soon as I tell them my age they say that it is against their company rules as I will be dealing with debit/credit cards,etc, etc.

What should I do , I need a job as I stated in my PS that I am going to work. PS, I am applying for medicine.

Hi i work at center Parcs as a lifeguard and they pay £7.85 an hour however the hours are too many so i may have to leave, i guess you need to decide whether you want grades or money
Reply 962
Original post by MrSupernova
£7 an hour at 17? Not gonna happen, unless you live in London. You *might* get one with £6-something an hour if you're lucky (at a supermarket for example), as most places pay the minimum under 18 wage of £3.68/hr. Surely any job is better than no job though, even if the pay isn't fantastic?

There are loads of jobs for over £7 an hour you just need to look in the right places such as large companies
Im kinda losing my cool here, I applied to the following universities for medicine and Manchester for Petroleum Engineering. I have received an offer of BCC for petroleum engineering. I applied on the 13th of Oct. I achieved 820 UKCAT score. BMAT isnt done yet :l

Chem (A) 287 Maths (A) 290 Biology (A) 300 Physics (B) 235 General Studies (A*) 500

. Cambridge
. Imperial
. Kings
. Queens

Should I be worried or have people not received interviews yet from these unis. Im so scared if I dont get into these Unis Ive wasted my life :l
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by askingamy
There are loads of jobs for over £7 an hour you just need to look in the right places such as large companies

Not round here there aren't... I don't know anyone who's on more than £6.60-something, other than someone who does lifeguarding (but that's a fortune to get involved in due to all the training). There's a restaurant near me that pays £3.86/hr, but around Christmas time the tips can take it up to about £15/hr (nor really worth it to work Xmas Day or past midnight on NY's Eve though imo)
Original post by JustTesting
Im kinda losing my cool here, I applied to the following universities for medicine and Manchester for Petroleum Engineering. I have received an offer of BCC for petroleum engineering. I applied on the 13th of Oct. I achieved 820 UKCAT score. BMAT isnt done yet :l

Chem (A) 287 Maths (A) 290 Biology (A) 300 Physics (B) 235 General Studies (A*) 500

. Cambridge
. Imperial
. Kings
. Queens

Should I be worried or have people not received offers yet from these unis. Im so scared if I dont get into these Unis Ive wasted my life :l

No one will have received an offer yet... UKCAT scores aren't sent to unis for a few weeks yet and no one has even sat the BMAT, so how can they have given any out? There hasn't exactly been time to give out and hold interviews in the 2 days since the deadline either

. Cambridge
. Imperial
. Kings
. Queens

Should I be worried or have people not received offers yet from these unis. Im so scared if I dont get into these Unis Ive wasted my life :l

It's only been 4 days! Don't worry about it, you haven't done the BMAT so you won't hear from Cambridge and imperial until after that and the other unis don't get your ukcat until November so they can't say anything either. As a reapplicant I can say that you have not wasted your life if you don't get into those unis, there's plenty of other fantastic universities and especially with medicine, most (if not all) are just as good as each other :smile: If it gives you piece of mind you can expect to hear from Cambridge about 1-2 days after BMAT results are published (which is about 2 weeks after you do it I think). Just relax now, all you can do is focus on school and prepare for interviews. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova
No one will have received an offer yet... UKCAT scores aren't sent to unis for a few weeks yet and no one has even sat the BMAT, so how can they have given any out? There hasn't exactly been time to give out and hold interviews in the 2 days since the deadline either

Some universities have but not for medicine & I meant interview sorry :smile: Ive edited my post. I meant should I be worried that I havent heard from them yet
Original post by Yolo_kevin
It's only been 4 days! Don't worry about it, you haven't done the BMAT so you won't hear from Cambridge and imperial until after that and the other unis don't get your ukcat until November so they can't say anything either. As a reapplicant I can say that you have not wasted your life if you don't get into those unis, there's plenty of other fantastic universities and especially with medicine, most (if not all) are just as good as each other :smile: If it gives you piece of mind you can expect to hear from Cambridge about 1-2 days after BMAT results are published (which is about 2 weeks after you do it I think). Just relax now, all you can do is focus on school and prepare for interviews. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for that Im just stressing
Reply 969
Do any universities actually put a weighting on references? I have applied to Nottingham, St.George, Birmingham and Liverpool. I have not seen any of them really state that they use the reference in their decisions.
Original post by LLF467
Do any universities actually put a weighting on references? I have applied to Nottingham, St.George, Birmingham and Liverpool. I have not seen any of them really state that they use the reference in their decisions.

Most of them score it along with the personal statement, but most references say fairly similar things so unless it contains something extraordinarily bad or good I can't see it making much difference either way

I do swimming teaching, so perhaps you could find a place that does a swimming teaching course and then look for work with a swimming teaching company? That's what I did and get £11/hour!
Reply 972
Original post by RossMacdonald
I do swimming teaching, so perhaps you could find a place that does a swimming teaching course and then look for work with a swimming teaching company? That's what I did and get £11/hour!

How long is a Swimming teaching course?
How long is a Swimming teaching course?

Generally about a week or two :smile:
Original post by LLF467

I believe that some do, but I think others scan them mainly for warning flags and extenuating circumstances. Nottingham puts a small weighting on the reference, IIRC, but I can't tell you about the others.
[...] Should I be worried or have people not received interviews yet from these unis. Im so scared if I dont get into these Unis Ive wasted my life :l

Medic interviews are normally between mid-November and the end of March - they don't rush it.
Reply 976
Has anyone gone to Ace medicine interview practice? would anyone recommend this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
does that mean the reference letters aren't very important then? My referee wasn't able to bring up medicine at all (she just brought up a list of stuff i did and what kind of person I was but didn't even use the word 'medicine' in it throughout the whole thing...) is that going to put me at a disadvantage?
Good luck guys!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flickeringcandle
does that mean the reference letters aren't very important then? My referee wasn't able to bring up medicine at all (she just brought up a list of stuff i did and what kind of person I was but didn't even use the word 'medicine' in it throughout the whole thing...) is that going to put me at a disadvantage?

I don't think this will be a problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending