The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kimina
wrong thread

There's no harm, he plans to take a gap year so he can learn a lot from us :smile:
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
There's no harm, he plans to take a gap year so he can learn a lot from us :smile:

Sooo sorry if it's wrong thread but ...
any tips!
Original post by Singha12345
Sooo sorry if it's wrong thread but ...
any tips!

What tips do you want exactly?

Get AAA+, look for a healthcare job as early as possible after your A2 exams are over.
Reply 2703
Original post by sport999
Can someone please help me, I am losing my WAIT FOR it mind >< PS.

Ok, basically I am 17 and wont be turning 18 any time soon. I have extensive work placements but need a well paid job. By well paid, I mean 7 Pounds an hour.

Now, I know I am under the required age and understand that I might not be able to get such a "high paying" job but I have had 6 job offers as a Charity Fundraisers and as soon as I tell them my age they say that it is against their company rules as I will be dealing with debit/credit cards,etc, etc.

What should I do , I need a job as I stated in my PS that I am going to work. PS, I am applying for medicine.

You can find a retail job whilst continue your volunteering i guess?
You can get NHS jobs under 18 right?
some retail jobs out there are like offering 6.50 odd. I have a few friends as porters in hospitals and they are getting £7+ as well as call centres, check them out?
Original post by Chi-
You can find a retail job whilst continue your volunteering i guess?
You can get NHS jobs under 18 right?
some retail jobs out there are like offering 6.50 odd. I have a few friends as porters in hospitals and they are getting £7+ as well as call centres, check them out?

Which retail business are they work for, if you dont mind?
Got an unconditional offer for my back up choice- Medicinal Chemistry with Biochemistry at Keele :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2706
Original post by A.Systole
Got an unconditional offer for my back up choice- Medicinal Chemistry with Biochemistry at Keele :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow congratulations.. let's hope you won't need it! How long did it take after you applied btw?
Reply 2707
Which retail business are they work for, if you dont mind?

Nah the retail ones ive seen, a lot offer around 6 pounds- look for vacanies online alot tell you the pay and other info.
The porter one was for marriot hotel, and call centres for like british gas, hope this helps.
Having resat the year I achieveda fairly good score. Although I havent claimed to have had any extentuaiting circumstance, my grades have imporved massively as last year when doing my exams, there were a lot of arguments at home and i could never revise straight for 30min. Ive sent off my application now and kind of regretting it as I felt brave due to the grades I got and applied to oxford for medicine as a resit applicant. and I have at AS AAAB & A* Gen studies I applied on the 13th of Oct. I achieved 820 UKCAT score. BMAT isnt done yet :l

Chem (A) 287 Maths (A) 290 Biology (A) 300 Physics (B) 235 General Studies (A*) 500

GCSE - 9A* 5A

Should I be worried with my reasoning as I thought they would feel compassionate due to such an improvement meaning something must have affected my grades. Oxford has seriously been a place where I have desired to go to as long as I could remember. (Use to look at entry requirement at like 11). Does anybody think that this application might just luckily get accepted?
Original post by SiMan
Wow congratulations.. let's hope you won't need it! How long did it take after you applied btw?

Hope so too :smile: . It seems like an interesting course though, so it wouldn't quite be completely the end of the world if I had to.
My application got sent off on the 2nd. Then Keele emailed me on Tuesday asking me to confirm what subject I'd want as my minor and got the offer today :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2710
x

err what kind of job did you say you were getting?
honestly, I think if you explain that you were offered the job but couldnt do it because of your age/ company policy than that seems reasonable.

Being paid seven pounds an hour is pretty good really I don't know that you'll get that at 17.
Original post by JustTesting
Having resat the year I achieveda fairly good score. Although I havent claimed to have had any extentuaiting circumstance, my grades have imporved massively as last year when doing my exams, there were a lot of arguments at home and i could never revise straight for 30min. Ive sent off my application now and kind of regretting it as I felt brave due to the grades I got and applied to oxford for medicine as a resit applicant. and I have at AS AAAB & A* Gen studies I applied on the 13th of Oct. I achieved 820 UKCAT score. BMAT isnt done yet :l

Chem (A) 287 Maths (A) 290 Biology (A) 300 Physics (B) 235 General Studies (A*) 500

GCSE - 9A* 5A

Should I be worried with my reasoning as I thought they would feel compassionate due to such an improvement meaning something must have affected my grades. Oxford has seriously been a place where I have desired to go to as long as I could remember. (Use to look at entry requirement at like 11). Does anybody think that this application might just luckily get accepted?

I know Oxford look at the percentage of A*s combined with BMAT score for interview (I had one last year with 89%) from the people they interviewed the majority had 90% or above. You will really need a very high BMAT score or you may struggle to get the interview. regarding your reapplication have you contacted the unis, are you going to be doing AS/A levels for more than 2 years, because unis normally will just throw out your application. sorry to sound all gloomy but it's true!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2712
Hope so too :smile: . It seems like an interesting course though, so it wouldn't quite be completely the end of the world if I had to.
My application got sent off on the 2nd. Then Keele emailed me on Tuesday asking me to confirm what subject I'd want as my minor and got the offer today :smile: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh I actually love chemistry too, so chemical engineering was an option which I considered as well. Oh wow.. offer from keele for medicine? :confused:
Original post by richtea5
err what kind of job did you say you were getting?
honestly, I think if you explain that you were offered the job but couldnt do it because of your age/ company policy than that seems reasonable.

Being paid seven pounds an hour is pretty good really I don't know that you'll get that at 17.

Thanks for your help. Do you have any suggestions? It is getting so frustrating. They love me on the phone and are offering me the job and then your age!!!!

Where should I get a job? Also, what restaurants do you think will offer me a good wage?

Apologies if I am asking too much questions.
Reply 2714
x

hmmm well there might be fewer age limitations on gaining voluntary work with charities so i guess you could try that, If you're just wanting the experience.
Haha I dont know where you should get a job :redface:
restaurants might not pay really well but could be a good experience also supermarkets and such can be quite a good deal.
Original post by SiMan
Yh I actually love chemistry too, so chemical engineering was an option which I considered as well. Oh wow.. offer from keele for medicine? :confused:

No no...just medicinal chemistry. Not quite the same. But I have applied there for medicine as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by richtea5
hmmm well there might be fewer age limitations on gaining voluntary work with charities so i guess you could try that, If you're just wanting the experience.
Haha I dont know where you should get a job :redface:
restaurants might not pay really well but could be a good experience also supermarkets and such can be quite a good deal.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, sorry just noticed caps lock was on:redface:
Reply 2717
No no...just medicinal chemistry. Not quite the same. But I have applied there for medicine as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've applied to the same place for medicine? Why would you do that? :redface:
What's wrong with that? I get that they'll be able to see that I've applied there for two courses. But other than that what's the problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
Wow, that's weird. What exactly did they state on your track? Sorry to be the bearer if bad news but there's probably a 99% chance they've made a mistake as its much too early for any medical school to make a decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I worked it out it said my place had been confirmed, but it meant my application had been confirmed. Still weird because the date was before i sent my application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending