The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Was wondering just now how long a human can last without eating?
Spoke to nightline tonight properly - was a lot more helpful this time, having thought about what I actually wanted to talk about. Had a fairly active/people filled day too, so had less time to think about stuff, which is always good.
Original post by Anonymous
Was wondering just now how long a human can last without eating?

Seriously you don't want to do this at all, bad idea :/

Spoiler

edit: good news, I refrained from doing anything bad and I managed to end up having a decent night apart from trying to deal with my ex :nooo:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm am so so nervous. I'm going to see my GP in just over an hour. I'm scared I'm going to just not let anything out :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maddie567
I'm am so so nervous. I'm going to see my GP in just over an hour. I'm scared I'm going to just not let anything out :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:h:ugs: just try your best. It will be fine. Good luck. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
Feeling really useless. I tried playing my bass yesterday and got so frustrated that I couldn't get a certain part of a song right, I think I might actually sell it because I'm crap, I've hardly progressed at all in the several years I've been playing.
Classical or Electric? How often do you play?

So there's that, then there's the fact I haven't got a job. I finished my masters in August, it's now mid-October and I've applied for exactly zero jobs. I'm pretty sure no one would hire me even if I applied, I mean who's going to hire some loser with a bunch of self-harm marks and who hears voices? I'm overweight, I'm ugly and my concentration level and social skills are appalling. But my wife keeps complaining about money, definitely gonna have to go into our savings this year. I want to get a job but I'm scared. I'm scared of rejection but also of acceptance. How's it gonna look if I do get a job and can't handle it? I mean I couldn't even handle volunteering, that was meant to be the first step and I quit after just a few times. I'm such a pathetic loser.

You are definitely not a pathetic loser. You are clearly ill and thus simply can't just throw you in a job. I would to try again to volunteer and maybe search as a first job, something really easy and flexible. Then you can build up the skills and the self-confidence to apply to jobs, which scare you know. (Yeah, I know, sounds not great, but to highlight the less risky way.)
EIS = Early intervention service
CPN = Community psychiatric nurse?

:yep:
Went to my GP, burst out crying before I even say down. I've been prescribe Setraline and referred for counselling. Feel so relieved now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to my GP, burst out crying before I even say down. I've been prescribe Setraline and referred for counselling. Feel so relieved now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Glad it went OK - nothing wrong with a good cry. I was on Sertraline for ages and it had a very positive impact for me - I hope it does the same for you too :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hugs: Glad it went OK - nothing wrong with a good cry. I was on Sertraline for ages and it had a very positive impact for me - I hope it does the same for you too :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: that's so good to hear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8770
Hey, uh, I'm back.
Previously known as 'gemmanewman' - my account was hacked into. :cry:

Anyway, hope everyone is doing alright :hugs:
Reply 8771
Hi guys,

have any of you ever had a home visit from a member of your mental health team?

I received a letter from mines and it seemed weird as I've been going to them in the past (albeit my last meeting went terribly, I sobbed uncontrollably). Obviously phoning them would help but anxiety and other stuff makes me put it off :/

best.

Home visits are actually really effective. It feels safer and I definitely feel more "at home" so, I can talk more openly than some small office. :hugs:
Reply 8772

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear, but it's good to hear you feel a little better now you've been prescribed pills. They are there for a reason and they do help! Good luck. :hugs:
Original post by Gemmer_
Hey, uh, I'm back.
Previously known as 'gemmanewman' - my account was hacked into. :cry:

Anyway, hope everyone is doing alright :hugs:

Silly people, hacking you :shakecane: Hope you're doing alright, lovely :smile:
Reply 8774
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Silly people, hacking you :shakecane: Hope you're doing alright, lovely :smile:

Yeah, I'm alright hun. Just hate starting all over again. :hugs:
Original post by Kindred
I'm not sure I can do this. I haven't done any reading for lectures or my essay and all I want to do is curl up in bed. I don't think i'm cut out for uni, I just can't buckle down on the work. :frown: I have an assignment due in this week- today maybe- and i've done like no work towards it. It took me hours to read just one chapter and even then the words meant nothing! :frown: I should just give up now and save myself the stress of failure later. -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do it! And if the workload does ever seem impossible, talk to someone. Everyone at uni wants you to succeed, and there's a lot of help available if you ask for it. I know how hard it can be, but you need to remember that it's not impossible. Concentrate on small goals, break everything down into manageable chunks, and then nom the hell out of them! :tongue:

Original post by depeche mode
Hey everyone

I hope everyone is ok. I am looking for a bit of advice about my psychiatrist. Last session I had with him descended into me shouting at him asking him why he wasn't helping me and him gave rude replies, e.g. "I do know about Chinese philosophy" "I am an expert" "How long have you been irritable for?". I was admitted in hospital at the weekend and I was very poorly with an infection and they said this may have made me irritable. I emailed my shrink yesterday to let him know what had happened to me and I apologised. The thing which is annoying me is that I haven't received a reply. No, OK I hope you get well soon, or a Thanks for letting me know. Nothing. I've had no acknowledgement and I've seriously had enough of him and most of my time is spent crying because of him and things he has said but seeing him once every other week is all the help I get from uni.

I really don't want to see him. In fact I'm quite frightened but I would appreciate someone else's thoughts about whether they would expect an email back.

To be honest it just sounds like you two really don't get on, and if one or both of you can't put that aside then it's probably best to be seeing someone else. The problem with that is that you'll probably just be put on a waiting list to see another psych (which could take a few months). I had a psychiatrist I didn't get on with and whose views on my problems I strongly disagreed with, so I demanded to see someone else - took three months for the referral to go through, but I did get to see someone better eventually.

What kind of mental health problems do you have? Would you be in danger if you went without seeing a psych for a while?

Original post by james1211
Hey guys, just thought i'd check in and say i'm still around and managing OK at the minute. I hope all you guys are still crusading on.

Good to hear! :five: I'm doing ok too - small things can still set off massive floods of tears, but on the whole I'm feeling positive. :smile:

Original post by los lobos marinos
Yay - mental health team coming for home visit this afternoon. They are listening to what I'm saying (I hope). I contacted them to stop me maybe needing Crisis intervention in a couple of weeks time as been sliding downhill too quickly. I'm hoping that if they do what I ask them to do, I can regain some semblance of control.

Added benefit means I can post on this thread again without being concerned I might breach TSR rules. (I stopped myself from posting a few times).

Well done on taking the initiative to catch things early, :yy: I hope things start getting better soon.

Original post by rmhumphries
Pretty bad day all in all.

Only slightly related, but I seem to be missing that element that most people have, which tells them when to do things for themselves and when to do things for others. I have no confidence in what I do, which leads to some people saying I am too selfless, other people most likely thinking I am selfish - and I myself having no clear idea about where I fall, what I should be doing more of.

:hugs: Could you work out maybe a logical system of when you should do things for others, and when for yourself? It's not good to do 100% one or the other, so working out a balance would seem to be the best idea.

And for the record I don't think you're selfish in the slightest - you've helped me a bazillion times at your own expense, and I seriously appreciate that. :lovehug:

Original post by Noodlzzz
Got back from EIS. I have a mental health act assessment tomorrow :frown:

:hugs: I hope it went/goes ok.

Original post by asdfgah
Met up with my main supervisor and had a bit of an "argh ptsd I cant do any of this" at her. She was really nice and said she'd tell me which people in the department were definitely OK and not intimidating, and that she'd introduce me to anyone, so that's good especially if I decide I want to have a male supervisor, because it will be scary the first time I meet them. She suggested that I come back next week and we can talk more about it and arrange who she's going to introduce me to. Feeling a bit calmer about the whole thing.

Glad you're feeling calmer, and it sounds like together you're working out some good practical solutions to your problems. I bet that overall you make an awesome student, and I'm not surprised that people want to help you. :h:

Feeling really useless. I tried playing my bass yesterday and got so frustrated that I couldn't get a certain part of a song right, I think I might actually sell it because I'm crap, I've hardly progressed at all in the several years I've been playing.

So there's that, then there's the fact I haven't got a job. I finished my masters in August, it's now mid-October and I've applied for exactly zero jobs. I'm pretty sure no one would hire me even if I applied, I mean who's going to hire some loser with a bunch of self-harm marks and who hears voices? I'm overweight, I'm ugly and my concentration level and social skills are appalling. But my wife keeps complaining about money, definitely gonna have to go into our savings this year. I want to get a job but I'm scared. I'm scared of rejection but also of acceptance. How's it gonna look if I do get a job and can't handle it? I mean I couldn't even handle volunteering, that was meant to be the first step and I quit after just a few times. I'm such a pathetic loser.

Ode to Sabertooth

Sabertooth is fearless
Sabertooth is brave
Sabertooth is stronger
Than a bear living in a cave. (rawr)

Sabertooth's totally awesome
Sabertooth ****ing rocks
Sabertooth's filled with genius
From his head down to his socks.

Sabertooth's one in a million
Sabertooth is truly unique
I'd pick Saber over anyone
Any damn day of the week. :h:

Original post by rmhumphries
Don't be too hard on yourself, I graduated in July, and not only don't have a job, I haven't even had an interview. I only started applying for jobs in the last month or so. You should upload your CV to a job search site, and let agencies call you - I have done this and it is much easier having people contact you saying you might be suitable for this job. Take it one step at a time - I have the same fears as you do, however I know I need a job, so I am trying to push myself, and hope I manage. I have faith in you to manage if you do get a job/

Also, I am about 4/5 pounds off becoming overweight due to Quetiapine :frown:

(P.s. Sorry - I know I have actually moaned more than posted helpful stuff to you!)

Edit: I agree with los lobos marinos as well, he expressed things much better than I did!

:hugs: Don't let things get you down. You know you're awesome and those dumbass employers will realise that at some point. :yep: As for the weight thing, I agree that exercise is the way to go. Might also help with mood/motivation as a bonus.

The job site idea might be good but aren't they usually quite long-term jobs? We've moving next July for definite so I'm not sure how suitable that would be. There's a bunch of fast food places looking for people here which I think I could do with my mcdonald's experience. But really I want to go to the police station and ask if they have any openings (not to be an officer obviously) but I'm too scared of being rejected :colondollar: If I don't ask I won't get rejected :tongue:

Oh yeah, quetiapine munchies. :console: You could try joining a gym? If you struggle to afford it, I know the NHS sometimes gives out free gym memberships so you could try that? There's also the free couch to 5k program which you can download to an mp3 player and gradually up your fitness until you can run 5k I lost a few pounds doing that. You could also ask Superwolf to stop making so many delicious muffins :tongue: I asked my psychiatrist for metformin as I wasn't losing weight on antipsychotics and so far I've lost 10lbs despite starting risperidone. So that might be an idea?

Neverrrrrrrr! I'm making cider crumble slices today. :drool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done, that's awesome. :smile:
Ode to Saber - love it, Wolfie! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I'm in a bit of a catch 22.
If I don't take my medicine my BP shoots up and I become prone to anxiety attacks and palpitations due to 'anxiety', but if I don't my BP goes low and I feel somewhat dizzy and weird :redface:
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I'm in a bit of a catch 22.
If I don't take my medicine my BP shoots up and I become prone to anxiety attacks and palpitations due to 'anxiety', but if I don't my BP goes low and I feel somewhat dizzy and weird :redface:

Hmmm. That is a tough one.
Still early days on your meds or have you had them for a while?
I'd keep taking them if you're only feeling a little dizzy, especially if you've just started them recently. To me that sounds like the nicer option and probably the one with a better chance of sorting itself out with a bit of time. :yes:
May be something you'd like to mention to your doc at some point though just to see if they can fiddle with things a bit so you don't get so dizzy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superwolf
You can do it! And if the workload does ever seem impossible, talk to someone. Everyone at uni wants you to succeed, and there's a lot of help available if you ask for it. I know how hard it can be, but you need to remember that it's not impossible. Concentrate on small goals, break everything down into manageable chunks, and then nom the hell out of them! :tongue:

Haha thanks :P i'm feeling a bit more confident now so i'll see how it goes.

Love the poem for Saber! :biggrin: cider slices sound awesome! I wish I could "nom the hell out of" them too! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest